WINDY CITY TIMES
||Becoming Johanna to air on WTTW
--From a press release
This article shared 651 times since Mon May 31, 2021
Chicago, IL: Becoming Johanna, a compelling story that follows the struggles transgender teens face every day, airs Friday, June 25th at 8:30pm on WTTW (11.1 channel). The film follows Johanna, a 16-year-old transgender Latina, as she begins her transition, gets kicked out of her home and school, but then finds a foster family who loves her and a supportive school principal who helps her graduate and thrive.
"I think it's important to show that there's trans kids who can actually make it," says film subject Johanna Clearwater. "And I want to prove that I can make it."
Becoming Johanna has screened in multiple film festivals, taking home the Audience Award in the Louisville LGBT Film Festival. The Youth and Gender Media Project has also screened the film to classrooms, mental health providers and other organizations, along with educational resources.
"The film was thought-provoking and tear-wrenching," said Danielle Skolnick of Seneca Family of Agencies, a nonprofit mental health agency that helps children and families. "Our staff came back to the office glowing, ready to learn and advocate even harder for the LGBTQ community."
Becoming Johanna is one of four films in the Youth and Gender Media Project, which together demonstrate how to reach every member of a school community students, teachers, parents and administrators to help them create educational settings that welcome all young people, regardless of the where they fall on the spectrums of gender identity and expression.
About the filmmaker
Jonathan produces awardwinning documentaries for broadcast and educational distribution. His films tell the stories of people and communities struggling to overcome oppression to reach their highest potentials. His films include: "Badger Creek" (PBS), "The Thick Dark Fog" (PBS); The Elevator Operator," (PBS); "Spit It Out" (PBS); and "A Day's Work, A Day's Pay" (PBS and European TV). Jonathan also writes and directs fiction films, is a film professor at Chapman University and works as a visual artist.
This article shared 651 times since Mon May 31, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|'Queer As Folk' reunion on 'Stars in the House' June 22
- Hosts Seth Rudetsky and James Wesley announced, on June 22, two very special episodes of "Stars in the House" that will celebrate and honor Pride Month and the LGBTQ community. On June 22, the cast of ...
|Emmys allow actors/actresses to be recognized as 'performers'
- The Television Academy's Board of Governors approved a pair of rules changes for the Emmy Awards—including one that neutralizes gender, Deadline reported. One change will allow anyone nominated in the actor or actress category the option ...
|SHOWBIZ Pride anthems, celebrities come out, PBS, Diana Ross, Mark Wahlberg 2021-06-20|
- Billboard listed 20 Pride anthems by LGBTQ artists in a feature. Among some of the songs are Sylvester's "You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)," Tegan and Sara's "Closer," George Michael's "Freedom! '90," Hayley Kiyoko and Kehlani's ...
|Filicia reunites with the 'Fab Five' 2021-06-17|
- Queer Eye for the Straight Guy debuted on television in 2003 on Bravo. It starred the "Fab Five," each with a different specialty. Ted Allen was the expert on food, Kyan Douglas was in charge of ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Our America,' Randy Rainbow, Melissa Etheridge, 'Drag Race,' VINCINT 2021-06-13|
- ABC Owned Television Stations announced that the first two-episodes of the Our America: Who I'm Meant to Be docuseries are now available on its 32 connected TV apps across streaming platforms Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, ...
|TELEVISION 'Love, Victor' activation coming to Chicago 2021-06-12|
- Marking the second season premiere of its show Love, Victor as well as Pride month, Hulu is "honoring and amplifying the many different shades of love and self-expression that the LGBTQ+ community embodies," according to a ...
|SHOWBIZ Todrick Hall, LGBTQIA+ podcast, Pride TV programs, '80s music 2021-06-06|
- Todrick Hall is celebrating Pride with the release of his new album, Femuline, on June 8, a press release noted. The album's lead single, "Boys In The Ocean," is described as "an irresistible funk jam." Femuline ...
|NBC Out releases annual #Pride30 list 2021-06-05|
--From a press release - NBC Out, part of NBCNews.com, has released its annual #Pride30 list, recognizing members of the LGBTQ community around the world who are making a difference. This year's list honors 30 lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer ...
|WTTW celebrates LGBTQ Pride Month with special content 2021-06-05|
--From a press release - WTTW recently released its schedule of special programming in celebration of LGBTQ Pride Month. Highlights include: Stonewall Uprising: American Experience Sunday, June 13 from 10:00 pm-12:00 am In an era when homosexuality was illegal, ...
|New queer comedy series revisits the women's bathroom 2021-06-02|
- Gal Pal Presents recently premiered a new comedy web series, titled Stalled, which aims to capture the gay nightclub women's restroom scene that you may have experienced, but may have flushed out of memory. The five-episode ...
|Billy Masters 2021-05-31|
- "I will never trust pants again!"Lil Nas X on his wardrobe malfunction on Saturday Night Live. To see the incidentand Lil's commentarycheck out BillyMasters.com. We have a Memorial Day tradition ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Red Hot' album, 'Drag Race,' 'L Word,' Qveen Herby, Lee Daniels 2021-05-30|
- The Red Hot organization, which raises funds to fight HIV/AIDS, announced Red Hot + Freea mixtape of dance beats, electro grooves and global anthems, a press release noted. Out July 2 and helmed by producer-provocateur Bill ...
|'Real Housewives' expert Brian Moylan keeps it real in new tell-all book 2021-05-21|
- Bravo's Real Housewives franchise, which has been stirring the pot for more than 15 years, has launched 31 books and a cocktail line; featured two jail sentences and a couple of supermodel daughters; made Andy Cohen ...
|MOVIES/TV Billy Porter reveals he's been HIV-positive for 14 years 2021-05-19|
- In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, award-winning actor/singer Billy Porter (TV's Pose) revealed he's been living with HIV for almost 15 years, NBC News noted. "This is what HIV-positive looks like now. I'm going to ...
|Don Lemon announces end of 'CNN Tonight' [UPDATE] 2021-05-15|
- CNN host Don Lemon insisted he is not leaving the network after claiming on his show on May 14 that "changes are coming," according to Newsweek. In part, he said, "It's been really, really great. This ...