by Gregg Shapiro
This article shared 2381 times since Wed Nov 12, 2003
I need to get something off my chest. I was not a Funky Green Dogs fan. As with a lot of the Twisted artists, I found them too derivative. Towards the end, they got too churchy, which was also a turn off. Fortunately, in their Murk (Tommy Boy) incarnation, Oscar Gaetan and Ralph Falcon, are all about the underground sound and the things that happen when the lights are dimmed. Undeniably whetting our appetites for her forthcoming full-length album, Kristine W gives as good as she gets on "Some Lovin'," sounding like she is in fighting form to reclaim the dance floor. The blasé vocals of Greg "Stryke" Chin featured on both "Time" and "Let Me Go," give the songs an early disco meets electroclash vibe that is intriguing. Gaetan and Falcon's old Funky Green Dogs vocalist Tamara Wallace provides the vocals for "Believe" and "True," which avoid the old gospel clutter and go right for the jugular. Vocalist Jennifer Carbonell sounds like she is ready to take her place next to Kristine W and Tamara W with her "soul torn and tattered" on "Doesn't Really Matter." Longtime purveyors of the exotic beat, Gaetan and Falcon perpetuate their legend on "Baba-Sulei" and "Afro-Cuba."
Unfold the CD booklet for the Bond Remixed (Decca) disc and you will see the four scantily clad she-wolves of Bond pressed up against each other, touching suggestively (manicured fingertip to fingertip or with one thumb slipped into the waistband of another's laced up leopard print pants) in a band photo. Why didn't the Beatles ever think of taking a band photo like this one? Probably because the Beatles would never let a remixer get their grubby hands on any of their songs. Suffice to say that the Bond girls have no qualms about taking a Vivaldi piece, for instance, and pumping it full of electronic beats, so what harm could a remixer do? Don't ask. Not surprisingly, the least annoying track is the Hectic mix of "Bond On Bond," which adapts the James Bond theme into a throbbing dance soundtrack. The bottom line is that I can't help but think about the Hooked On Classics albums of the past every time I listen to this album and that makes it hard for me to take Bond, virtuoso musicians or not, seriously.
This article shared 2381 times since Wed Nov 12, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Broadway titan Stephen Sondheim dies at 91 2021-11-27|
- Stephen Sondheim, one of the giants of Broadway songwriting, died Nov. 26 at his home in Roxbury, Connecticut, according to media reports. He was 91. Among the works in the legend's oeuvre are Company (1970), Follies ...
|EVENTS John Grumpy Co. presenting 'Black Sunday' Nov. 28 2021-11-24|
- John Grumpy Co. is hosting "Black Sunday," which will take place at HVAC Pub, 3530 N. Clark St., on Sunday, Nov. 28, 9 p.m.-2 a.m.. This event will feature celebrity DJ Jamal Smallz. "Black Sunday" will ...
|MUSIC Grammy nominations announced; GLAAD comments 2021-11-24|
- On Nov. 23, the nominations for the 64th Annual Grammy Awards were announced. John Batiste, the musician who also serves as the bandleader on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, led among all nominees with 11 ...
|MUSIC Controversial rapper DaBaby postpones shows 2021-11-24|
- DaBaby's return to touring following fallout for making anti-gay comments at the Rolling Loud music festival in Miami this past summer has been postponed, The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported. The rapper's been promoting his "Live Show ...
|SHOWBIZ '9-1-1,' Billie Jean King, Lena Waithe, singer Mary Lambert, White Party 2021-11-21|
- Actor Rockmond Dunbar left the Fox show 9-1-1 after four seasons over a vaccine mandate, Deadline noted. His gay character, Michael Grant, was abruptly written off in the Nov. 15 episode, leaving fans of the first-responder ...
|Rainbow Railroad plans 'When I Am Free' benefit concert to get LGBTQI+s to safety 2021-11-20|
--From a press release. Videos below - Chicago, IL (November 12, 2021) - The annual Chicago 5 Lives Fundraiser hosted by Rainbow Railroad is proud to return this year with "When I Am Free", a benefit concert offering attendees a premier evening of ...
|MOVIES 'Dante and Beatrice in Florence' Nov. 28-Dec. 5 2021-11-19|
- Porchlight Music Theatre is partnering with Hershey Felder Presents: Live from Florence and its second season of productions. The launch of this new season from Hershey Felder is the new musical film Dante and Beatrice in ...
|Lil Nas X part of 'Jingle Ball' on Dec. 7 2021-11-17|
- Queer rapper Lil Nas X will headline KISS FM's Jingle Ball Presented by Capital One this year, run in coordination with iHeart Radio. The event will take place Tuesday, Dec. 7, at Allstate Arena at 7:30 ...
|Chicago Therapy Collective to honor Trans Day of Resilience 2021-11-16|
- On Saturday, Nov. 20, Chicago Therapy Collective will release an original music video cover of Wildfires (Sault, 2020) in honor of Trans Day of Resilience (TDOR) 2021 and the racial justice uprisings of 2020. According to ...
|'When I Am Free' concert supporting Rainbow Railroad on Dec. 3 2021-11-16|
- "When I Am Free: A Benefit Concert for Rainbow Railroad" will take place at Center on Halsted's Hoover-Leppen Theatre, 3656 N. Halsted St., on Friday, Dec. 3, at 7:30 p.m. During this event, there will be ...
|SHOWBIZ Theater items, Lady Gaga, 'Justice League Queer,' Tom of Finland 2021-11-14|
- Eighteen months after he died of COVID, the life of playwright Terrence McNally was celebrated in a packed house Nov. 1 at the Schoenfeld Theatre, Gay City News noted. Tributes poured in from theater artists, while ...
|Britney Spears' conservatorship ends 2021-11-12|
- The conservatorship that has controlled Britney Spears' finances, personal life and medical decisions since 2008, and which for many years was controlled by her father, Jamie Spears, has ended. On Nov. 12, Los Angeles County Superior ...
|THEATER REVIEW Pump Boys and Dinettes 2021-11-12|
- Title: Pump Boys and Dinettes. Playwright: Book, music and lyrics by John Foley, Mark Hardwick, Debra Monk, Cass Morgan, John Schimmel and Jim Wann At: Porchlight Music Theatre at the Ruth Page Auditorium. Tickets: $45-$74; PorchlightMusicTheatre.org. ...
|Hell in a Handbag Productions to present Christmas Dearest 2021-11-12|
--From a press release - Book & Lyrics David Cerda Music by David Cerda and Scott Lamberty. Directed by Derek Van Barham. Nov. 27 — Dec. 31, 2021 at Ebenezer Lutheran Churchz CHICAGO (November 11, 2021) — Hell in a Handbag ...
|SHOWBIZ Gay men's chorus, upcoming films, 'Tiger King,' Mariah Carey 2021-11-07|
Video below - The New York City Gay Men's Chorus announced its return to the rehearsal room, per a press release. On Nov. 1, 51 members gathered at P.S. 11 in Chelsea, Manhattan, to sing for the first time ...