by Gregg Shapiro
This article shared 2619 times since Wed May 5, 2004
"Purest One," the opening track of Etro Anime's debut disc See The Sound (Neurodisc), sounds like Morcheeba if they were fronted by Ani DiFranco. Female lead vocalist Lissette Alea convincingly moves back and forth from being a breathy Euro-pop diva to a trip-hop heroine, always keeping it fresh and funky. "Portrait" frames Alea's vocals in subtle beats and vibrating keyboards, while "Summer Rain" pours out like a sun-shower punctuated by a rainbow of rhythms. "Endless," the song from which the disc derives its titles, delivers a nearly endless array of beats and dreamy vocals. Alea's languorous vocals over the breakneck jungle beats on "Danger" make the song safe for listeners and dancers and "Adonis" is a love song for improvisational dancers. The instrumental "All I Need" serves up almost all the exotic beats you need, and don't forget to listen for the hidden tracks.
The trio known as P-1 infuses its dance music with an air of down-tempo attitude which makes the eleven tracks on Step (NoVo/Lightyear) as suitable for getting wound up as they are for unwinding. Opening track "Soul" possesses just that and "Step" could increase the blood flow of steppers in motion everywhere. The revved up Latin-pop vibe of "Vespa" is a pleasure and "One Try" improves with each listen. P-1 "steps" it up with the drum'n'bass track "Gone," and keeps up the pace with a jungle rendition of the standard "Come Rain Or Come Shine." More world music influences seep into "Storm," as well as "P-1" in which female lead vocalist B. A. Arentsen, steps back and allows her male cohorts to be heard. Closing track "Unify" is a soulful excursion which includes jazzy elements to flesh out the theme of unification.
This article shared 2619 times since Wed May 5, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|MCA to showcase Justin Vivian Bond on Oct. 30 2021-10-25|
- On Saturday, Oct. 30, at 3 p.m., The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, 220 E. Chicago Ave., will present "Music Talk: Justin Vivian Bond and Jim Hodges," featuring singer-songwriter, author, painter, performance artist and actor Mx. ...
|REVIEW Randy Rainbow tackles politics, shows talent at The Chicago Theatre 2021-10-24|
- YouTube sensation Randy Rainbow brought The Pink Glasses Tour to The Chicago Theatre on Oct. 22. Best known for videos that parody musical numbers with a focus on politics, the heavily curated show began with a ...
|MUSIC Indie band Fleece is queering country 2021-10-24|
- Eight years ago, gay songwriter and lead singer Matt Rogers and his friend, bisexual drummer Ethan Soil, founded Montreal quartet Fleece. A few years later, bisexual vocalist Megan Ennenberg and straight man Jameson Danielwho are both ...
|MUSIC Elton John's 'The Lockdown Sessions' now out 2021-10-22|
- Elton John's The Lockdown Sessions is now out, courtesy of Interscope Records. An album of collaborations recorded remotely over the last 18 months, The Lockdown Sessions features UK #1 single "Cold Heart (PNAU remix)," with Dua ...
|THEATER E. Faye Butler to star in 'Fannie' Oct. 25-Nov. 14 2021-10-21|
- Goodman Theatre, 170 N. Dearborn St., will host the run of Cheryl L. West's Fannie (The Music and Life of Fannie Lou Hamer), which will run Oct. 25-Nov. 14. E. Faye Butler stars as U.S. civil-rights ...
|Lyric Opera presenting 'Florencia en el Amazonas' Nov. 13-28 2021-10-21|
- During Nov. 13-28, Lyric Opera of Chicago will run the company premiere of Florencia en el Amazonasthe first Spanish-language work to be presented as part of Lyric's mainstage opera season. There will be evening performances on ...
|SHOWBIZ Superman, TheWrap, Oscar Wilde, Billy Porter, Cher, 'Dragula' 2021-10-17|
- The ongoing comic Superman: Son of Kal-El, by writer Tom Taylor and artist John Timms, launched in July and saw Jon Kent officially take up the mantle of the Man of Steel now that his father, ...
|CIFF, featuring LGBTQ+ films, running through Oct. 24 2021-10-15|
- North America's longest-running competitive film festival, this year's event expands throughout Chicago with presentations at venues across the city, including at AMC River East 21; the Music Box Theatre; the Gene Siskel Film Center; special drive ...
|MUSICALS 'Pretty Woman' tickets go on sale Oct. 15 2021-10-15|
- After a pre-Broadway run in Chicago and being on Broadway, Pretty Woman: The Musical, based on one of Hollywood's most beloved romantic stories of all time, returns to Chicago. The production will run at the CIBC ...
|'Tapping into Ca$h' : CaSera Heining lives double life as DJ Ca$h Era and radio producer 2021-10-14|
- Minutes before DJ Ca$h Era hosted Lollapalooza's first drag show, the Black queer woman behind the stage name was pacing nervously behind the scenes and listening to a drag queen animatedly remind her they were "making ...
|MUSIC Janis Ian's last Chicago concert May 14 2021-10-13|
- In what is being advertised as her last concert in Chicago, LGBTQ singer Janis Ian will be performing at the Old Town School of Folk Music, 4544 N. Lincoln Ave. on Saturday, May 14, 2022, at 8 p.m. Tickets ($48-$50) will ...
|THEATER 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog' running through Nov. 6 2021-10-12|
- Black Button Eyes Productions is welcoming back live audiences with the popular internet musical Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog—an authorized fan production to benefit the Chicago charity Season of Concern—playing through ...
|Lyric Opera running seven performances of 'The Magic Flute' Nov. 3-27 2021-10-11|
- Lyric Opera of Chicago is running seven performances of The Magic Flute, Mozart's final opera, on Nov. 3-27. There will be performances at 7 p.m. on Nov. 3; matinees on Nov. 7, 11, 14 and 17, ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Drag Race' winners, Playboy, punk band, The Dinah, Daniel Craig 2021-10-10|
Video below - As part of VH1's #LGBTQHerstoryMonth project, five winners from the RuPaul's Drag Race winner's circle—season one's BeBe Zahara Benet, All Stars 4 winner Monet X Change, season 11 winner Yvie Oddly, season 12 victor Jaida Essence ...
|Madonna's latest concert film, Madame X, now out 2021-10-09|
- The concept film to Madonna's acclaimed Madame X Tour has debuted in the United States Latin America, Australia, the Nordics and Canada exclusively on Paramount+, the streaming service from ViacomCBS. Fans outside these markets can watch ...