by Gregg Shapiro
This article shared 3178 times since Wed Apr 21, 2004
From Apollo 100's "Joy" to Walter Murphy's "A Fifth of Beethoven" in the 1970s to the dreaded series of Hooked On Classics albums in the 1980s, attempts to update and disco-fy classical music are nothing new. Even Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller and Xavier Cugat, to mention a few, put their distinctive touches on the classics. The dozen re-workings of compositions by Beethoven, Puccini, Bach, Ravel, Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, Schubert and others on Masterworks Reworked (Groove Gravy) range from chill-out to full-fledged dance-floor workouts that are surprisingly accessible. Zigo makes a tangerine dream out of Bach's "Overture No. 3," as Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" is given a subtle Middle Eastern flavor by Dakesh York. Two B joins The Tao Of Groove for a hip-hop reading of Puccini's "Nessun Dorma" and compositions that naturally lend themselves to beat enhancements, such as Ravel's "Bolero" and Rimsky Korsakov's "Flight Of The Bumblebee," are so adorned by Jazzelicious and J-Radical, respectively. Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake: Waltz" takes flight in Rithma's hands and a Spanish guitar and a slamming beat box go toe to toe in Tangarine D'Or's remix of Rodrigo's "Concierto De Aranjuez." Purists everywhere will probably be shaking their heads, while club-goers shake their asses to Le D's reworking of Schubert's "Piano Mass No. 6: Kyrie."
A selection of contemporary classics get the remix treatment on the odd, but interesting Pink Panther's Penthouse Party (Virgin) compilation. Both the late composer Henry Mancini and "the Pink Panther" are celebrating milestones this year. Mancini would have turned eighty in June and the Blake Edwards movie turns forty. Mancini and the animated pink pussycat are the common denominators here with the movie theme song undergoing three remixes at the hands of Fischerspooner, St. Germain and Malibu. "Shot In The Dark/Peter Gunn," two more of Mancini's theme songs are given the mash-up treatment by Chris Mancini (his son) and Lennart Maven. Other remixes of familiar tracks include Gabin's edit of Peggy Lee's "Fever," Titan's cover of Carole King's "Corazon," and Pizzicato Five's distinctive reading of "The Girl From Ipanema." Other space-age bachelor pad tracks that round out this compilation include "Voulez Vous?," by Arling & Cameron, "Summer Sun" by Koop, "Bossa Per Due" by Nicola Conte and "Tres Tres Chic" by Mocean Worker.
This article shared 3178 times since Wed Apr 21, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|PASSAGES Singer/actress Olivia Newton-John dead at 73 2022-08-08|
- Olivia Newton-John—the Australian singer who charmed generations of viewers in the 1978 blockbuster movie Grease and had such music hits as "Physical," with both garnering many LGBTQ+ fans—died Aug. 8 at age 73, according to media ...
|SHOWBIZ Jane Lynch, Dwayne Johnson, 'Star Trek,' Beyonce, Shea Coulee 2022-08-07|
- NBC has renewed the Jane Lynch-hosted game show Weakest Link for a third season, Variety noted. Season three will run for 20 episodes. The series is based on a British format distributed by BBC Studios that ...
|Lollapalooza lit up with LGBTQ+ acts in 2022 2022-08-02|
- The annual outdoor festival Lollapalooza ran July 28-31 in Chicago, displaying a wide spectrum of talentincluding many LGBTQ+ actsthis year on nine stages. The music carnival began as an eclectic ...
|THEATER 'Cabaret' coming to Metropolis Arts on Sept. 15 2022-08-02|
- Musical Broadway classic and hit film Cabaret re-creates the decadent and complicated world of 1929 Berlin at the Arlington Heights venue Metropolis Performing Arts Centre on Sept. 15-Oct. 22. Cabaret is Kander and Ebb's legendary musical ...
|Lollapalooza to be in Chicago for at least the next 10 years 2022-08-01|
- Get ready to see a lot more musical acts, crop tops and (mostly younger) people in Grant Park for at least the next decade of summers. Chicago Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot announced July 31 that the ...
|SHOWBIZ Comic Con, WNBA player, Timothee Chalamet, Kate McKinnon 2022-07-31|
- Out Magazine listed at least seven LGBTQ+-related characters and projects that were unveiled at San Diego Comic Con. Some of them include Michaela Coel (from TV's I May Destroy You) as a queer character in the ...
|Chicago announces lineups for Marquee Fall Music Festivals 2022-07-30|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO—Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) announced today music lineups and expanded date information for three of the City of Chicago's most ...
|Northalsted Market Days to take place Aug. 6-7 2022-07-30|
- The 40th Northalsted Market Daysa live music street festival celebrating community in Chicago's Northalsted/Lakeview districtwill take place Aug. 6-7. The half-mile long summer festival features all-day lineups of live music ...
|21st annual Glenwood Avenue Arts Fest taking place Aug. 19-21 2022-07-27|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (July 26, 2022)The popular Glenwood Avenue Arts Fest (GAAF) announces complete music lineup for the three-day festival, headlined by Chicago rapper Psalm One, Rock n Roll band from New ...
|Live music returns to Touche starting July 30 with 'Bear All' 2022-07-24|
- After a nearly three-year hiatus due to COVID-related interruptions, Touche, 6412 N. Clark St., is reviving the bar's live music series "Bear All" at 9 p.m. on Saturday, July 30. Begun in 2011 and produced by ...
|SHOWBIZ Broadway, 'Game of Thrones' prequel, Dexter Mayfield, Shania Twain 2022-07-24|
- The Broadway League announced that theaters will continue their recently adopted mask-optional policy for audiences at least through August, Deadline reported. The mask-optional policy—in which audiences are encouraged but not ...
|Local queer icon DJ's event 2022-07-23|
- Darrell Gordon was the guest presenter for the Lunch Bunch at Third Space at Lakeview Presbyterian on June 1 and 30—the beginning and end of both Pride Month and Black Music Month. ...
|Puerto Rico Symphony Orchestra performing historic concert on Aug. 6 2022-07-20|
- The National Museum of Puerto Rican Arts and Culture announced a once-in-a-lifetime concert event featuring the Puerto Rico Symphony Orchestra to be held Saturday, Aug. 6, at Chicago's Symphony Center, 220 S. Michigan Ave. The performance, ...
|MUSIC Hulu to stream Lollapalooza 2022-07-19|
- Hulu announced that it would serve as the official streaming destination for three of C3 Presents' biggest music festivalsBonnaroo, Lollapalooza and Austin City Limits Music Festivalin 2022 and 2023. To that end, Hulu announced the streami ...
|Band featuring actor Michael C. Hall in Chicago on July 24 2022-07-18|
- Princess Goes to the Butterfly Museuma band that features Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild Award-winning and Emmy-nominated actor/musician Michael C. Hall (TV's Six Feet Under and Dexter) as well ...