by Gregg Shapiro
This article shared 2500 times since Wed Nov 26, 2003
Ambient dream-poppers Delerium had been around for almost ten years before they achieved
substantial recognition with the song 'Silence,' featuring vocals by Sarah McLachlan. Over the years, a cornucopia of female vocalists has supplied the siren sound to Delerium's tantric tunes, and their latest offering, Chimera (Nettwerk America), is no exception.
Ten different women provide the purr on the eleven ethereal numbers and the variety spices up the delirious dance beats and down tempo chillout cuts. Jael (of Lunik) belts it out on 'After All,' a song about a woman listening to the voices in her head, telling her to leave her lover. Both Margaret Far and the 'ocean roaring' are responsible for hypnotizing the listener on 'Just A Dream,' and light and joy pour out of Nerina Pallot's mouth on 'Truly.' Julee Cruise casts a spell on 'Magic' and Kristy Thirsk's emotive vocals on closing track 'Returning,' has the potential to inspire listeners to return to this disc for repeated plays.
For a trio (lead vocalist Skye Edwards, and musician brothers Paul and Ross Godfrey), Morcheeba strikes a balance between soothing, yet static, trip hop beats and slamming, yet slinky, dance tracks. Parts Of The Process (Sire/Reprise), a substantial eighteen-track compilation is an overview that even hardcore fans can appreciate. Although not organized chronologically (a pet peeve of mine), there is some logic here, as the disc opens with the calming waves of 'The Sea' and then flips the listener over for some dance-floor action on 'Tape Loop.'
With a voice like a narcotic, Skye Edwards adapts to the mood and groove of each tune, whether it's the sinister 'Otherwise,' which sounds like a love theme from a sixties spy movie, or the snap and pop
boogaloo of 'Be Yourself.' 'Let Me See,' which asks the age old
question, 'Who can you trust when you need to?' offers up a rhythmic answer, and 'Trigger Hippie' reminds us of what it was that attracted us to Morcheeba in the first place. The mini-epic 'What New York Couples Fight About,' featuring Lambchop's Kurt Wagner, is a musical drama, and new track 'Can't Stand It,' doesn't
disappoint for an instant.
Limited editions of Parts Of The Process include a bonus DVD of a live Morcheeba performance.
This article shared 2500 times since Wed Nov 26, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|THEATER 'Wicked' returning to Chicago in 2022 2021-11-30|
- The blockbuster musical Wicked will return to Broadway In Chicago's James M. Nederlander Theatre, 24 W. Randolph St., on Sept. 28-Dec. 4, 2022. Now the fifth longest-running show in Broadway historyand featuring songs such as "Popular" ...
|Billy Masters 2021-11-29|
- "The obvious one would be A Little Night Music. I know I could do that role very well now that I've gotten to this stage in my life, and you know it's a beautiful song in there. It's perfection."Sarah Brightman reveals ...
|SHOWBIZ Netflix, Kal Penn, Dennis Rodman, 'The Voice,' 'Euphoria' 2021-11-28|
Video below - Terra Field—one of the Netflix employees who organized the walkout around Dave Chappelle's comedy special The Closer—has resigned from the streamer, Deadline reported. Field, along with B. Pagels-Minor, organized an ...
|Broadway titan Stephen Sondheim dies at 91 2021-11-27|
- Stephen Sondheim, one of the giants of Broadway songwriting, died Nov. 26 at his home in Roxbury, Connecticut, according to media reports. He was 91. Among the works in the legend's oeuvre are Company (1970), Follies ...
|EVENTS John Grumpy Co. presenting 'Black Sunday' Nov. 28 2021-11-24|
- John Grumpy Co. is hosting "Black Sunday," which will take place at HVAC Pub, 3530 N. Clark St., on Sunday, Nov. 28, 9 p.m.-2 a.m.. This event will feature celebrity DJ Jamal Smallz. "Black Sunday" will ...
|MUSIC Grammy nominations announced; GLAAD comments 2021-11-24|
- On Nov. 23, the nominations for the 64th Annual Grammy Awards were announced. John Batiste, the musician who also serves as the bandleader on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, led among all nominees with 11 ...
|MUSIC Controversial rapper DaBaby postpones shows 2021-11-24|
- DaBaby's return to touring following fallout for making anti-gay comments at the Rolling Loud music festival in Miami this past summer has been postponed, The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported. The rapper's been promoting his "Live Show ...
|SHOWBIZ '9-1-1,' Billie Jean King, Lena Waithe, singer Mary Lambert, White Party 2021-11-21|
- Actor Rockmond Dunbar left the Fox show 9-1-1 after four seasons over a vaccine mandate, Deadline noted. His gay character, Michael Grant, was abruptly written off in the Nov. 15 episode, leaving fans of the first-responder ...
|Rainbow Railroad plans 'When I Am Free' benefit concert to get LGBTQI+s to safety 2021-11-20|
--From a press release. Videos below - Chicago, IL (November 12, 2021) - The annual Chicago 5 Lives Fundraiser hosted by Rainbow Railroad is proud to return this year with "When I Am Free", a benefit concert offering attendees a premier evening of ...
|MOVIES 'Dante and Beatrice in Florence' Nov. 28-Dec. 5 2021-11-19|
- Porchlight Music Theatre is partnering with Hershey Felder Presents: Live from Florence and its second season of productions. The launch of this new season from Hershey Felder is the new musical film Dante and Beatrice in ...
|Lil Nas X part of 'Jingle Ball' on Dec. 7 2021-11-17|
- Queer rapper Lil Nas X will headline KISS FM's Jingle Ball Presented by Capital One this year, run in coordination with iHeart Radio. The event will take place Tuesday, Dec. 7, at Allstate Arena at 7:30 ...
|Chicago Therapy Collective to honor Trans Day of Resilience 2021-11-16|
- On Saturday, Nov. 20, Chicago Therapy Collective will release an original music video cover of Wildfires (Sault, 2020) in honor of Trans Day of Resilience (TDOR) 2021 and the racial justice uprisings of 2020. According to ...
|'When I Am Free' concert supporting Rainbow Railroad on Dec. 3 2021-11-16|
- "When I Am Free: A Benefit Concert for Rainbow Railroad" will take place at Center on Halsted's Hoover-Leppen Theatre, 3656 N. Halsted St., on Friday, Dec. 3, at 7:30 p.m. During this event, there will be ...
|SHOWBIZ Theater items, Lady Gaga, 'Justice League Queer,' Tom of Finland 2021-11-14|
- Eighteen months after he died of COVID, the life of playwright Terrence McNally was celebrated in a packed house Nov. 1 at the Schoenfeld Theatre, Gay City News noted. Tributes poured in from theater artists, while ...
|Britney Spears' conservatorship ends 2021-11-12|
- The conservatorship that has controlled Britney Spears' finances, personal life and medical decisions since 2008, and which for many years was controlled by her father, Jamie Spears, has ended. On Nov. 12, Los Angeles County Superior ...