by Gregg Shapiro
This article shared 2229 times since Wed Mar 24, 2004
First things first. John Hughes, the mastermind behind the electronic unit known as Slicker is the son of movie director John Hughes (Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, etc). That said, John Hughes the younger is a creative genius in his own right. The proof is right here on We All Have A Plan (Hefty), Slicker's latest full-length, which
combines high voltage electronics with organic, human vocals. In addition to vocals that suggest an island feel, album opener "God Bless This Mess, This Test We Pass," is also heated up by flute, saxophone and trombone. With a title like "Knock Me Down Girl," which suggests 70's or 80's soul music, it's only fitting that the song should sound like the offspring of Cameo or Ohio Players. "Call Up All The Relief Now" actually stirs up a little tension with a string
section that made me think of early Laurie Anderson. "We All Had A Plan" is a brief, and somewhat bare, beat fest, and the even shorter "Decorate Your Walls," throws in rhymes courtesy of Elzhi. "Straight Mess" references the previously mentioned opening
number and "Can't Cope" effectively uses repetition and strings to bring the listener to the brink.
Sometimes you need to know the back-story before you can appreciate a movie, a TV show, a book or a CD. In the case of An Italian Story (Rhino/Belmondo), Daniele Luppi, who was raised in Italy on a steady diet of the soundtracks from the Italian films of the 60's and 70's (think Nino Rota, think Ennio Morricone, think Henry Mancini), composed a dozen songs in that swinging style and then actually tracked down the session players from that period to make his dream a reality. Before you can say "let's Watusi" or "do the Frug," these songs that are equal parts Paris discotheque ("Nightclub," "Telecinebeat") and Milan runway ("Fashion Party," "Photochic," "Hypermodels") have transported you back in time to the present, by way of the past and the future. Even without the intrusion of remixers, songs such as "SX 70" and the title track will inspire listeners to do The Swim, The Mashed Potato, or some variation. Impress your friends and acquaintances with this one.
This article shared 2229 times since Wed Mar 24, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Ravinia Festival announces 2021 summer programming 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - HIGHLAND PARK, IL — The Ravinia Festival, under the direction of its new President and CEO Jeffrey P. Haydon, announced the concert schedule for 2021 today, celebrating the reopening of the park for the first time ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE announce Chicago summer events 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), Choose Chicago, and Chicago's cultural community today announced "Open Culture" — the next phase of ...
|Northalsted plans to hold Market Days Aug. 6-8 2021-05-04|
- The Northalsted Business Alliance plans to host Market Days August 6-8, adding a Friday night edition, the first in its 38-year history. As vaccinations increase and Illinois begins planning for stage 5 reopening, organizers of the ...
|Heather Headley to headline Goodman Theatre's May 22 virtual gala 2021-05-03|
- Goodman Theatre announced that Tony-winning Broadway actor and Grammy Award-winning singer Heather Headley will headline the company's "Together Center Stage" virtual 2021 gala fundraiser. "Together Center Stage" is slated to stream Saturday, May 22, ...
|Jeannie Tanner show at City Winery on May 20 2021-05-03|
- On Thursday, May 20, at 7 p.m., City Winery Chicago, 1200 W. Randolph St., will host the first in-person performance of "3 Martini Jeannie." Throughout the pandemic, every Friday at 5 p.m., Tanner celebrated the close ...
|Vintage House show honoring Chicago House Music with DJ Lori Branch May 5 2021-05-03|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL. May 3, 2021. Paving the way for every DJ behind her, DJ Lori Branch is continuously receiving flowers for her talents and dedication to music. Currently, through May, Spotify (spotify.com/chicago) billboards highlighting Chicago music ...
|Windy City Smokeout to return July 8-11 2021-04-29|
- The outdoor country-music/BBQ festival Windy City Smokeout will return to Chicago on July 8-11 outside the United Center, 1901 W. Madison St. Hosted by BBQ joint Bub City and the venue Joe's Bar, the event will ...
|Pride in the Park' on June 26-27 2021-04-29|
- There will be at least one big LGBTQ+ event in Chicago this summer. Pride in the Park is slated to take place June 26-27 in Grant Park. It will be 2-10 p.m. on June 26, and 3-10 p.m. the following day. ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Joe Exotic' series, Luther Vandross, singer's announcement, star couples 2021-04-25|
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch's John Cameron Mitchell has been tapped to play the title character opposite Kate McKinnon in the series Joe Exotic (working title), Deadline reported. The limited series centers on Carole Baskin (McKinnon), ...
|SHOWBIZ Brandi Carlile, 'Legendary,' children's book, film festival, Janet Mock 2021-04-18|
- Lesbian musician Brandi Carlile memoir, Broken Horses, debuted at number one on The New York Times Best Sellers list, a press release announced. In addition to the hardback book, a very special audiobook edition of the ...
|Belting for Life Sunday May 16, streaming through May 31 2021-04-16|
--From a press release - CHICAGO - Jeff Award-winning director and HIV+ activist Christopher Pazdernik presents the 6th annual Belting for Life (formerly known as Chris' Birthday Belt Fest), an annual benefit concert for Howard Brown Health, one of the nation's ...
|SHOWBIZ Trans singer, 'Pose,' Kate Winslet, Lil Nas X, Broadway 2021-04-11|
- Trans femme indie-punk artist Evan Greer (she/her) released a dystopian new music video for the song "Surveillance Capitalism," a press release noted. She is using it to launch StopSpotifySurveillance.org with Fight for the Future, where she ...
|Movie about art sensation born into slavery to premiere April 16
- Bill Traylor: Chasing Ghostsa film about a man who was born into slavery, and whose works became sensations in the art worldwill premiere Friday, April 16, in local virtual cinemas of Music Box Theatre and Facets. ...
|Story of Chicagoan and Broadway influencer Sister Rosetta Tharpe on to Broadway 2021-04-06|
--From a press release - NEW YORK (April 4, 2021) Prolific writer and Chicago native Cheryl L. West (FANNIE: The Music and Life of Fannie Lou Hamer; Jar the Floor), will be joined on the creative team of SHOUT SISTER ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Special,' Bonnaroo, Broadway items, Rita Moreno, Bridgerton 2021-04-04|
- The second season of the Netflix comedy series Special will premiere May 20, a press release noted. The series revolves around Ryan O'Connell, a gay man with mild cerebral palsy, and is based on his memoir ...