This article shared 2389 times since Wed Mar 3, 2004
Luomo at Abbey Pub on Mar. 5, (773) 478-4408
On The Present Lover (Kinetic) Vladislav Delay is joined by vocalists Johanna Niemela, Watkinson and Antye Greie-Fuchs, to name a few, on his second album under the Luomo moniker. As stylish as it is rhythmic, Luomo's vogue is as vintage as it is visionary. The loping and shuffling beats of "Talk In Danger," with its exotically accented spoken parts hinting at intrigue and espionage, is dark alley disco at its most delectable. The title track is the sexy theme song for your best and most present lover, whose lovemaking skills caused you to boast to all of your friends and even a few strangers. "So You" asks the musical question, "Do I want too much?," but you'll be too busy dancing to answer. "Tessio" has that timeless disco feel that is easy to attempt, but hard to achieve, and the frustrations of "What Good" ("What good is it to talk to you?") can easily be resolved on the dance floor.
It is right here, with this remix CD, Daft Punk's Daft Club (Virgin) that the remixologists of the world have officially lost me. Discovery, the 2001 CD by the contemporary French dance music duo Daft Punk was, and still is, a terrific dance CD. Brimming with the filtered beats and studio wizardry of the daft pair, it was the kind of highly anticipated (four years in the making) follow-up disc that didn't disappoint. What is disappointing is that instead of providing their listeners with its third studio disc, Daft Punk has chosen, instead to release a disc of (big yawn) remixes. Can they already be tapped out of new ideas? How is that possible? As for the remixers, including The Neptunes ("Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger"), Basement Jaxx ("Phoenix"), Slum Village ("Aerodynamic") and Boris Dlugosh ("Digital Love") to mention a few, I'd really rather hear something original from them, than the one-upmanship vibe I get from the remixer's quarters.
This article shared 2389 times since Wed Mar 3, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|MOVIES 'George Michael: Freedom Uncut' to be released June 22 2022-05-24|
- Sony Music Entertainment and Trafalgar Releasing will release the movie George Michael: Freedom Uncut as a global event on Wed., June 22and it's fitting that the documentary about the late gay singer will air during Pride ...
|Siskel to show 'Judy Garland Summer Centennial Retrospective' 2022-05-23|
- This June and July, the Gene Siskel Film Center, 164 N. State St., will celebrate Judy Garland to mark the 100th anniversary of her birth (June 10, 1922). The Judy Garland Summer Centennial Retrospective will involve ...
|THEATER Musical 'Get Out Alive' running July 8-Aug. 7 2022-05-23|
- Haven will continue its 2021-22 season with Nikki Lynette's multidisciplinary afrogoth musical Get Out Alive, co-directed by Roger Ellis and Lucky Stiff, which features the writer and her personal journey with mental health. The production will ...
|Lakeside Pride to present 'Sweet Home Chicago" May 29, part of Pride Bands Alliance Conference 2022-05-23|
-- From a press release - On Sunday, May 29 at 7pm, Chicago's Auditorium Theatre will host the culmination of the 40th annual Pride Bands Alliance conference. Chicago's Lakeside Pride is welcoming Pride Bands Alliance members from its family of 38 affiliate ...
|SHOWBIZ Broadway, JoJo Siwa, WEHO Pride, 'Jurassic World,' Madonna 2022-05-22|
- The Broadway League announced that all 41 Broadway theaters in New York City have extended the current mask requirement for audiences through at least June 30, Playbill noted. Charlotte St. Martin, president of The Broadway League, ...
|SHOWBIZ Queer playwright, LGBTQ+ films, BMI Pop Awards, new superhero 2022-05-15|
- Jeremy O. Harris, the queer Tony-nominated author of Slave Play, has been named the presiding playwright for the 2023 Yale Drama Series Prizeone of the theater world's most prestigious playwriting honors, Deadline noted. Harris joins the ...
|Inaugural Heatwave Music Festival in Chicago on July 16-17 2022-05-14|
- Auris Presents announced the debut edition and artist lineup for the Heatwave Music Festival, coming to Chicago on July 16-17 in Douglass Park, 1401 S. Sacramento Dr. According to a press release, the festival will be ...
|MUSIC Ty Herndon releasing 'personal' album 'Jacob' on July 15 2022-05-13|
- Out gay Grammy-nominated and Dove Award-winning country artist Ty Herndon announced the release date of his forthcoming album, Jacob. Jacobcalled Herndon's "most personal album to date"will be out July 15. ...
|Casting announced for 'Queer Eye: The Musical Parody' at Second City 2022-05-13|
- Comedy institution The Second City announced the cast and crew of Queer Eye: The Musical Parody, which will start running Thursday, May 26. (The production will run Thursdays through Saturdays at 8 p.m. and Sundays at ...
|MUSIC Riot Fest to take place Sept. 16-18 in Chicago 2022-05-12|
- Riot Festone of the largest remaining independent festivals in the countryis slated to return to Douglass Park on Sept. 16-18. Festival organizers revealed a jam-packed lineup taking up five stages and performing punk, indie rock, hip-hop, ...
|57th Street Art Fair marking 75th anniversary on June 4-5 2022-05-12|
- The 57th Street Art Fair, the Midwest's oldest juried art fair, will mark its 75th anniversary with an in-person celebration on June 4-5 featuring nearly 200 artists, live music presented by Buddy Guy's Legends, and a ...
|THEATER Underscore's 'Notes & Letters' running through May 28 2022-05-12|
- Underscore Theatre Company celebrates its 10th-anniversary season with the world premiere of the musical Notes & Letters, which features book, music and lyrics by Annabelle Lee Revak (she/her) and is ...
|Chicago Gay Men's Chorus to present 'Unimaginable' on May 20-22 2022-05-11|
- The Chicago Gay Men's Chorus will present the spring show "CGMC: Unimaginable," on May 20-22 at three Chicagoland venues. The performances will take place Friday, May 20, at 8 p.m. at Chicago's Athenaeum Center for Thought ...
|Kokandy Productions to present 'Cruel Intentions: The '90s Musical' June 9-Aug. 7 2022-05-10|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (May 10, 2022) — Kokandy Productions is launching its 10th-anniversary season this summer with the Chicago storefront premiere of Cruel Intentions: The '90s Musicala flirty and fun, nostalgia-packed show ...
|Tonys: Queer-themed 'A Strange Loop' leads nods; 'Paradise Square,' 'MJ' close behind 2022-05-09|
- Nominations for the 75th Tony Awards were announced May 9—and a Pulitzer Prize-winning original musical and a play that recounts the 2008 financial crisis led the nods, CNN reported. Leading the nominations was A Strange Loop, ...