This article shared 2357 times since Wed Feb 4, 2004
Legion Of Boom (V2), the new album by electronic duo The Crystal Method begins, aptly, with a song titled "Starting Over." As someone who was first hooked on the Crystal Method via their debut disc Vegas, I was disappointed in the harder-edged follow-up, Tweekend; the album lacked the fun and exhilaration (can you say "Get Busy Child"?) of the first album. Thankfully, given the chance to "start over," Crystal Method's Ken Jordan and Scott Kirland start a fire with the smoking beats of the album opener and then create that rare rock/dance hybrid on "Born Too Slow," which features John Garcia (of Kyuss) on wailing lead vocals. Rahzel of The Roots pipes in on the thumping and strutting "American Way," while "I Know It's You" creates an air of music mystery. Lisa Kekaula of The Bell Rays, who made such a dynamic impression with her guest vocals on the 2003 Basement Jaxx disc Kish Kash, fans the flames on "Realizer" and "High And Low." Both the elastic beats of "Bound Too Long" and the swaying and curving rhythms of "Wide Open" appear to be the natural setting for the free-style capabilities of San Francisco's Hanifah.
Post-clubbing music, for that drive home or the period between when you walk in the door and when you fall into bed, is as essential as the right music for, well, having sex. Thankfully, Joshua Eustis and Charles Cooper of Telefon Tel Aviv took those needs into consideration and met them with its second album Map Of What Is Effortless (Hefty). The warm electronic keyboards on "When It Happens It Moves By Itself" cut a path for the fluttery beats that are then smoothed over by the lush entrance made by Loyal University Chamber Orchestra. Damon Aaron provides a soulful heat to the Tangerine Dream-like swirl of "I Lied" and returns on the unquiet storm of "Nothing Is Worth Losing That." Lindsay Anderson's nonchalantly detached vocals on the light and airy funk of "My Week Beats Your Year" turn a boast into an excuse for big bendable beats. Anderson also provides the soothing vocals on "Bubble and Spike" and "What It Was Will Never Again," revealing another side to her. Album closer, "At The End Of The World You Still Float" is a weightless affair that acts as the ideal soundtrack for passion or for crashing.
This article shared 2357 times since Wed Feb 4, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Lollapalooza expected to return July 29-Aug. 1 2021-05-14|
- The Lollapalooza Festival will return to Chicago with a four-day event at its usual place and date range Grant Park, July 29-Aug. 1according to Variety. The City of Chicago gave the event the green light ...
|Ann Hampton Callaway releases 'Revelation' 2021-05-12|
--From a press release - The latest in a string of singles, Ann Hampton Callaway, releases "Revelation", a song she composed to a Robert Frost poem which she kept in her jeans pocket when she was a teenager. Callaway wrote the ...
|Tina Turner, The Go-Go's among 2021 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees 2021-05-12|
- The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame revealed its 2021 inductees, calling this class "the most diverse list of inductees in the history of the organization." In the Performer category, inductees include The Go-Go's, Tina Turner, ...
|Jody Watley: Conversation with an icon 2021-05-09|
- Singer Jody Watley has been many things during her illustrious career, including an activist, fashion plate—but, most certainly, a musician. Among her many achievements in that latter area are a Grammy win; a Lifetime Achievement Award ...
|SHOWBIZ Tig Notaro, films, E. Lynn Harris, Nick Jonas 2021-05-09|
- Emmy- and Grammy-nominated stand-up comedian Tig Notaro (HBO's Tig Notaro: Boyish Girl Interrupted), will return to HBO this summer with the first-ever fully animated stand-up special, HBO announced. The special ...
|Citadel Theatre to return in fall with a four-show 2021-22 season 2021-05-08|
--From a press release - LAKE FOREST, IL - Citadel Theatre Company will return to live, in-person, indoor performances in September with a season of four productions — three plays plus the company's traditional holiday musical - according to Artistic Director ...
|Ravinia Festival announces 2021 summer programming 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - HIGHLAND PARK, IL — The Ravinia Festival, under the direction of its new President and CEO Jeffrey P. Haydon, announced the concert schedule for 2021 today, celebrating the reopening of the park for the first time ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE announce Chicago summer events 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), Choose Chicago, and Chicago's cultural community today announced "Open Culture" — the next phase of ...
|Northalsted plans to hold Market Days Aug. 6-8 2021-05-04|
- The Northalsted Business Alliance plans to host Market Days August 6-8, adding a Friday night edition, the first in its 38-year history. As vaccinations increase and Illinois begins planning for stage 5 reopening, organizers of the ...
|Heather Headley to headline Goodman Theatre's May 22 virtual gala 2021-05-03|
- Goodman Theatre announced that Tony-winning Broadway actor and Grammy Award-winning singer Heather Headley will headline the company's "Together Center Stage" virtual 2021 gala fundraiser. "Together Center Stage" is slated to stream Saturday, May 22, ...
|Jeannie Tanner show at City Winery on May 20 2021-05-03|
- On Thursday, May 20, at 7 p.m., City Winery Chicago, 1200 W. Randolph St., will host the first in-person performance of "3 Martini Jeannie." Throughout the pandemic, every Friday at 5 p.m., Tanner celebrated the close ...
|Vintage House show honoring Chicago House Music with DJ Lori Branch May 5 2021-05-03|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL. May 3, 2021. Paving the way for every DJ behind her, DJ Lori Branch is continuously receiving flowers for her talents and dedication to music. Currently, through May, Spotify (spotify.com/chicago) billboards highlighting Chicago music ...
|Windy City Smokeout to return July 8-11 2021-04-29|
- The outdoor country-music/BBQ festival Windy City Smokeout will return to Chicago on July 8-11 outside the United Center, 1901 W. Madison St. Hosted by BBQ joint Bub City and the venue Joe's Bar, the event will ...
|Pride in the Park' on June 26-27 2021-04-29|
- There will be at least one big LGBTQ+ event in Chicago this summer. Pride in the Park is slated to take place June 26-27 in Grant Park. It will be 2-10 p.m. on June 26, and 3-10 p.m. the following day. ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Joe Exotic' series, Luther Vandross, singer's announcement, star couples 2021-04-25|
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch's John Cameron Mitchell has been tapped to play the title character opposite Kate McKinnon in the series Joe Exotic (working title), Deadline reported. The limited series centers on Carole Baskin (McKinnon), ...