by Gregg Shapiro
This article shared 2649 times since Wed Jan 7, 2004
Pictured Michael Jackson and Sarah McLachlan
After her dim and monotonous 2003 album
Afterglow, Sarah McLachlan's legions of fans, especially queer club-goers, should be happy with the
thumping, bumping and suitable for humping Remixed (Arista/Nettwerk America). Of the nine remixes, four are
taken from McLachlan's universally acclaimed and adored 1993 album Fumbling Towards Ecstasy. Hybrid's
Super Collider Mix of "Fear" borders on scary (the good kind of scary) in the haunting way that it layers Jane
Scarpantoni's cello, threading it through the beats and keyboards, winding it around McLachlan's breathy
vocals. Rabbit In The Moon's mix of "Possession" takes possession almost instantly, from McLachlan's
spoken instruction to "just close your eyes" to the insistent beat and the repetitive deconstruction of the
song itself, and BT transforms McLachlan's AIDS anthem "Hold On" into a dance-floor celebration of friendship
and compassion. William Orbit found comfort in the murk of "Black," a song from McLachlan's second album
Solace, while DJ Tiesto's In Search of Sunrise Remix of Delerium's "Silence," a song on which McLachlan
made a guest vocalist appearance, is this compilation's centerpiece.
In spite of his seemingly
insurmountable legal troubles, the abysmal sales of his most recent album, and his continued presence
in the pages of supermarket checkout stand tabloids, there is no denying that Michael Jackson has made a
considerable contribution to the world of dance music. The first five songs alone on Jackson's hit
collection Number Ones (Epic) tell the story loud and clear. Beginning with "Don't Stop Till You Get
Enough" and "Rock With You," the two tracks from 1979's Off The Wall, Jackson demonstrated his flair for
dance cuts that radiated fun and good times. However, it was with the two dance-heavy tunes included here
from Thriller – the title track, "Billie Jean," and "Beat It" – that Jackson almost certainly made his greatest
impression. Surprisingly, it was with the Thriller follow-up, Bad, that Jackson had his most number one hit
singles. Of those Bad tracks, the title cut, "The Way You Make Me Feel" and "Smooth Criminal" are all
respectable dance tunes. As for the remaining songs, only the colorful "Black Or White," from Dangerous,
qualifies as a dance-worthy effort.
This article shared 2649 times since Wed Jan 7, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ Queer playwright, LGBTQ+ films, BMI Pop Awards, new superhero 2022-05-15|
- Jeremy O. Harris, the queer Tony-nominated author of Slave Play, has been named the presiding playwright for the 2023 Yale Drama Series Prizeone of the theater world's most prestigious playwriting honors, Deadline noted. Harris joins the ...
|Inaugural Heatwave Music Festival in Chicago on July 16-17 2022-05-14|
- Auris Presents announced the debut edition and artist lineup for the Heatwave Music Festival, coming to Chicago on July 16-17 in Douglass Park, 1401 S. Sacramento Dr. According to a press release, the festival will be ...
|MUSIC Ty Herndon releasing 'personal' album 'Jacob' on July 15 2022-05-13|
- Out gay Grammy-nominated and Dove Award-winning country artist Ty Herndon announced the release date of his forthcoming album, Jacob. Jacobcalled Herndon's "most personal album to date"will be out July 15. ...
|Casting announced for 'Queer Eye: The Musical Parody' at Second City 2022-05-13|
- Comedy institution The Second City announced the cast and crew of Queer Eye: The Musical Parody, which will start running Thursday, May 26. (The production will run Thursdays through Saturdays at 8 p.m. and Sundays at ...
|MUSIC Riot Fest to take place Sept. 16-18 in Chicago 2022-05-12|
- Riot Festone of the largest remaining independent festivals in the countryis slated to return to Douglass Park on Sept. 16-18. Festival organizers revealed a jam-packed lineup taking up five stages and performing punk, indie rock, hip-hop, ...
|57th Street Art Fair marking 75th anniversary on June 4-5 2022-05-12|
- The 57th Street Art Fair, the Midwest's oldest juried art fair, will mark its 75th anniversary with an in-person celebration on June 4-5 featuring nearly 200 artists, live music presented by Buddy Guy's Legends, and a ...
|THEATER Underscore's 'Notes & Letters' running through May 28 2022-05-12|
- Underscore Theatre Company celebrates its 10th-anniversary season with the world premiere of the musical Notes & Letters, which features book, music and lyrics by Annabelle Lee Revak (she/her) and is ...
|Chicago Gay Men's Chorus to present 'Unimaginable' on May 20-22 2022-05-11|
- The Chicago Gay Men's Chorus will present the spring show "CGMC: Unimaginable," on May 20-22 at three Chicagoland venues. The performances will take place Friday, May 20, at 8 p.m. at Chicago's Athenaeum Center for Thought ...
|Kokandy Productions to present 'Cruel Intentions: The '90s Musical' June 9-Aug. 7 2022-05-10|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (May 10, 2022) — Kokandy Productions is launching its 10th-anniversary season this summer with the Chicago storefront premiere of Cruel Intentions: The '90s Musicala flirty and fun, nostalgia-packed show ...
|Tonys: Queer-themed 'A Strange Loop' leads nods; 'Paradise Square,' 'MJ' close behind 2022-05-09|
- Nominations for the 75th Tony Awards were announced May 9—and a Pulitzer Prize-winning original musical and a play that recounts the 2008 financial crisis led the nods, CNN reported. Leading the nominations was A Strange Loop, ...
|Lakeside Pride to host 'Sweet Home Chicago' on May 29 [UPDATED] 2022-05-08|
- As part of the 40th annual Pride Bands Alliance Conference, Lakeside Pride will host "Sweet Home Chicago" on Sunday, May 29, at 7 p.m. at the Auditorium Theatre, 50 E. Ida B. Wells Dr. Chicago's Lakeside ...
|White Party returns to Palm Springs; celebrities make appearances 2022-05-08|
- After a two-year hiatus, the 32nd Annual White Party Global (formerly White Party Palm Springs) celebrated its return with more than 20,000 attendees from around the globe, a press release noted. Recognized as the longest-running and ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Hacks,' 'Love, Victor,' Indy 500, Ariana DeBose, queer singers 2022-05-08|
- Queer, non-binary actor Carl Clemons-Hopkins (they/them and he/him) told Out Magazine he is elated with the warm reception received by the show Hacks and his character. "When I started in this years and years ago, there ...
|Inaugural 'River North Live' taking place June 24-26 2022-05-06|
- River North Residents Association announced that its annual festival, formerly Taste of River North, will return with a new venue, date and concept for 2022. Taking place June 24-26, River North Live will feature world-class artists ...
|MUSIC Madonna curating, releasing dance-music compilation 'Finally Enough Love' 2022-05-04|
- Madonna made history once again when she topped the Dance Club Songs chart for the 50th time, making her the first and only recording artist to have 50 number-one hits on any Billboard chart. To celebrate ...