This article shared 2563 times since Wed Dec 3, 2003
** Kinky performing at Club PM, (773) 489-0600, Dec. 9
"Good luck in your new bed/enjoy your nightmares/when you're resting your head." That's what Lisa Kekauala of The BellRays sings on "Good Luck," the opening track of the new Basement Jaxx disc Kish Kash (Astralwerks). I can't remember the last time that I heard such a pleasant sentiment twisted in a manner this wicked and vengeful. It's also got a great beat and you can dance to it. Like Kristine W on the Murk CD, Meshell Ndegeocello's vocals on the fierce and non-stop dance party of "Right Here's The Spot," practically made me drool in anticipation of her forthcoming Comfort Woman CD. Not since she teamed up with Scritti Politti a few years ago has Ndegeocello sounded like she was having so much fun. This is one spot she doesn't want removed. "Supersonic," featuring vocals by Totlyn Jackson, is both super and sonic, and features a mean harmonica solo. While Justin Timberlake is off perfecting his Michael Jackson impression, N*Sync brother J C Chasez is perfecting his Prince with a little help from the Jaxx on "Plug It In." "If I Ever Recover," gives the listener the chance to do just that before Siouxsie Sioux (yes, that Siouxsie Sioux) makes you pay on "Cish Cash." "Hot 'n Cold" messes with the temperature and with your head and Ndegeocello returns to wind it down and wrap it up on "Feels Like Home."
With its second domestic release, Atlas (Nettwerk America), cutting edge rock en español act Kinky has released one of the smoothest dance discs of the year. Abandoning some of the turntablist tactics of its eponymous debut Kinky generates organic beats that can't be beat. Singing in English and Spanish, Kinky knocks down language barriers and instead
constructs a wall of welcoming sounds. "You paint everything in colors instead of black and white," they sing on "Presidente," hailing on the chief and not to him. "The Headphonist" is a seductive song bout being seduced by sounds and "The Snapshot" sounds as good as it looks. The skilled musicians of Kinky are also confident enough to dabble in vintage rock disco as you can hear on "Do U Like It?," and the answer is yes. "Airport Feelings" could be the theme song for the Mile High Club and "Pos Que Se Vengan" sounds like a south of the border version of Ministry. "Minotauro" is Kinky at its kookiest, singing about sleeping barefoot so that dreams can enter your feet and not being "afraid of the roller coaster." "My God Is So Quiet" is as close as I've come to a religious experience in a while.
This article shared 2563 times since Wed Dec 3, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ Queer playwright, LGBTQ+ films, BMI Pop Awards, new superhero 2022-05-15|
- Jeremy O. Harris, the queer Tony-nominated author of Slave Play, has been named the presiding playwright for the 2023 Yale Drama Series Prizeone of the theater world's most prestigious playwriting honors, Deadline noted. Harris joins the ...
|Inaugural Heatwave Music Festival in Chicago on July 16-17 2022-05-14|
- Auris Presents announced the debut edition and artist lineup for the Heatwave Music Festival, coming to Chicago on July 16-17 in Douglass Park, 1401 S. Sacramento Dr. According to a press release, the festival will be ...
|MUSIC Ty Herndon releasing 'personal' album 'Jacob' on July 15 2022-05-13|
- Out gay Grammy-nominated and Dove Award-winning country artist Ty Herndon announced the release date of his forthcoming album, Jacob. Jacobcalled Herndon's "most personal album to date"will be out July 15. ...
|Casting announced for 'Queer Eye: The Musical Parody' at Second City 2022-05-13|
- Comedy institution The Second City announced the cast and crew of Queer Eye: The Musical Parody, which will start running Thursday, May 26. (The production will run Thursdays through Saturdays at 8 p.m. and Sundays at ...
|MUSIC Riot Fest to take place Sept. 16-18 in Chicago 2022-05-12|
- Riot Festone of the largest remaining independent festivals in the countryis slated to return to Douglass Park on Sept. 16-18. Festival organizers revealed a jam-packed lineup taking up five stages and performing punk, indie rock, hip-hop, ...
|57th Street Art Fair marking 75th anniversary on June 4-5 2022-05-12|
- The 57th Street Art Fair, the Midwest's oldest juried art fair, will mark its 75th anniversary with an in-person celebration on June 4-5 featuring nearly 200 artists, live music presented by Buddy Guy's Legends, and a ...
|THEATER Underscore's 'Notes & Letters' running through May 28 2022-05-12|
- Underscore Theatre Company celebrates its 10th-anniversary season with the world premiere of the musical Notes & Letters, which features book, music and lyrics by Annabelle Lee Revak (she/her) and is ...
|Chicago Gay Men's Chorus to present 'Unimaginable' on May 20-22 2022-05-11|
- The Chicago Gay Men's Chorus will present the spring show "CGMC: Unimaginable," on May 20-22 at three Chicagoland venues. The performances will take place Friday, May 20, at 8 p.m. at Chicago's Athenaeum Center for Thought ...
|Kokandy Productions to present 'Cruel Intentions: The '90s Musical' June 9-Aug. 7 2022-05-10|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (May 10, 2022) — Kokandy Productions is launching its 10th-anniversary season this summer with the Chicago storefront premiere of Cruel Intentions: The '90s Musicala flirty and fun, nostalgia-packed show ...
|Tonys: Queer-themed 'A Strange Loop' leads nods; 'Paradise Square,' 'MJ' close behind 2022-05-09|
- Nominations for the 75th Tony Awards were announced May 9—and a Pulitzer Prize-winning original musical and a play that recounts the 2008 financial crisis led the nods, CNN reported. Leading the nominations was A Strange Loop, ...
|Lakeside Pride to host 'Sweet Home Chicago' on May 29 [UPDATED] 2022-05-08|
- As part of the 40th annual Pride Bands Alliance Conference, Lakeside Pride will host "Sweet Home Chicago" on Sunday, May 29, at 7 p.m. at the Auditorium Theatre, 50 E. Ida B. Wells Dr. Chicago's Lakeside ...
|White Party returns to Palm Springs; celebrities make appearances 2022-05-08|
- After a two-year hiatus, the 32nd Annual White Party Global (formerly White Party Palm Springs) celebrated its return with more than 20,000 attendees from around the globe, a press release noted. Recognized as the longest-running and ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Hacks,' 'Love, Victor,' Indy 500, Ariana DeBose, queer singers 2022-05-08|
- Queer, non-binary actor Carl Clemons-Hopkins (they/them and he/him) told Out Magazine he is elated with the warm reception received by the show Hacks and his character. "When I started in this years and years ago, there ...
|Inaugural 'River North Live' taking place June 24-26 2022-05-06|
- River North Residents Association announced that its annual festival, formerly Taste of River North, will return with a new venue, date and concept for 2022. Taking place June 24-26, River North Live will feature world-class artists ...
|MUSIC Madonna curating, releasing dance-music compilation 'Finally Enough Love' 2022-05-04|
- Madonna made history once again when she topped the Dance Club Songs chart for the 50th time, making her the first and only recording artist to have 50 number-one hits on any Billboard chart. To celebrate ...