This article shared 2528 times since Wed Dec 3, 2003
** Kinky performing at Club PM, (773) 489-0600, Dec. 9
"Good luck in your new bed/enjoy your nightmares/when you're resting your head." That's what Lisa Kekauala of The BellRays sings on "Good Luck," the opening track of the new Basement Jaxx disc Kish Kash (Astralwerks). I can't remember the last time that I heard such a pleasant sentiment twisted in a manner this wicked and vengeful. It's also got a great beat and you can dance to it. Like Kristine W on the Murk CD, Meshell Ndegeocello's vocals on the fierce and non-stop dance party of "Right Here's The Spot," practically made me drool in anticipation of her forthcoming Comfort Woman CD. Not since she teamed up with Scritti Politti a few years ago has Ndegeocello sounded like she was having so much fun. This is one spot she doesn't want removed. "Supersonic," featuring vocals by Totlyn Jackson, is both super and sonic, and features a mean harmonica solo. While Justin Timberlake is off perfecting his Michael Jackson impression, N*Sync brother J C Chasez is perfecting his Prince with a little help from the Jaxx on "Plug It In." "If I Ever Recover," gives the listener the chance to do just that before Siouxsie Sioux (yes, that Siouxsie Sioux) makes you pay on "Cish Cash." "Hot 'n Cold" messes with the temperature and with your head and Ndegeocello returns to wind it down and wrap it up on "Feels Like Home."
With its second domestic release, Atlas (Nettwerk America), cutting edge rock en español act Kinky has released one of the smoothest dance discs of the year. Abandoning some of the turntablist tactics of its eponymous debut Kinky generates organic beats that can't be beat. Singing in English and Spanish, Kinky knocks down language barriers and instead
constructs a wall of welcoming sounds. "You paint everything in colors instead of black and white," they sing on "Presidente," hailing on the chief and not to him. "The Headphonist" is a seductive song bout being seduced by sounds and "The Snapshot" sounds as good as it looks. The skilled musicians of Kinky are also confident enough to dabble in vintage rock disco as you can hear on "Do U Like It?," and the answer is yes. "Airport Feelings" could be the theme song for the Mile High Club and "Pos Que Se Vengan" sounds like a south of the border version of Ministry. "Minotauro" is Kinky at its kookiest, singing about sleeping barefoot so that dreams can enter your feet and not being "afraid of the roller coaster." "My God Is So Quiet" is as close as I've come to a religious experience in a while.
This article shared 2528 times since Wed Dec 3, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|MCA to showcase Justin Vivian Bond on Oct. 30 2021-10-25|
- On Saturday, Oct. 30, at 3 p.m., The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, 220 E. Chicago Ave., will present "Music Talk: Justin Vivian Bond and Jim Hodges," featuring singer-songwriter, author, painter, performance artist and actor Mx. ...
|REVIEW Randy Rainbow tackles politics, shows talent at The Chicago Theatre 2021-10-24|
- YouTube sensation Randy Rainbow brought The Pink Glasses Tour to The Chicago Theatre on Oct. 22. Best known for videos that parody musical numbers with a focus on politics, the heavily curated show began with a ...
|MUSIC Indie band Fleece is queering country 2021-10-24|
- Eight years ago, gay songwriter and lead singer Matt Rogers and his friend, bisexual drummer Ethan Soil, founded Montreal quartet Fleece. A few years later, bisexual vocalist Megan Ennenberg and straight man Jameson Danielwho are both ...
|MUSIC Elton John's 'The Lockdown Sessions' now out 2021-10-22|
- Elton John's The Lockdown Sessions is now out, courtesy of Interscope Records. An album of collaborations recorded remotely over the last 18 months, The Lockdown Sessions features UK #1 single "Cold Heart (PNAU remix)," with Dua ...
|THEATER E. Faye Butler to star in 'Fannie' Oct. 25-Nov. 14 2021-10-21|
- Goodman Theatre, 170 N. Dearborn St., will host the run of Cheryl L. West's Fannie (The Music and Life of Fannie Lou Hamer), which will run Oct. 25-Nov. 14. E. Faye Butler stars as U.S. civil-rights ...
|Lyric Opera presenting 'Florencia en el Amazonas' Nov. 13-28 2021-10-21|
- During Nov. 13-28, Lyric Opera of Chicago will run the company premiere of Florencia en el Amazonasthe first Spanish-language work to be presented as part of Lyric's mainstage opera season. There will be evening performances on ...
|SHOWBIZ Superman, TheWrap, Oscar Wilde, Billy Porter, Cher, 'Dragula' 2021-10-17|
- The ongoing comic Superman: Son of Kal-El, by writer Tom Taylor and artist John Timms, launched in July and saw Jon Kent officially take up the mantle of the Man of Steel now that his father, ...
|CIFF, featuring LGBTQ+ films, running through Oct. 24 2021-10-15|
- North America's longest-running competitive film festival, this year's event expands throughout Chicago with presentations at venues across the city, including at AMC River East 21; the Music Box Theatre; the Gene Siskel Film Center; special drive ...
|MUSICALS 'Pretty Woman' tickets go on sale Oct. 15 2021-10-15|
- After a pre-Broadway run in Chicago and being on Broadway, Pretty Woman: The Musical, based on one of Hollywood's most beloved romantic stories of all time, returns to Chicago. The production will run at the CIBC ...
|'Tapping into Ca$h' : CaSera Heining lives double life as DJ Ca$h Era and radio producer 2021-10-14|
- Minutes before DJ Ca$h Era hosted Lollapalooza's first drag show, the Black queer woman behind the stage name was pacing nervously behind the scenes and listening to a drag queen animatedly remind her they were "making ...
|MUSIC Janis Ian's last Chicago concert May 14 2021-10-13|
- In what is being advertised as her last concert in Chicago, LGBTQ singer Janis Ian will be performing at the Old Town School of Folk Music, 4544 N. Lincoln Ave. on Saturday, May 14, 2022, at 8 p.m. Tickets ($48-$50) will ...
|THEATER 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog' running through Nov. 6 2021-10-12|
- Black Button Eyes Productions is welcoming back live audiences with the popular internet musical Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog—an authorized fan production to benefit the Chicago charity Season of Concern—playing through ...
|Lyric Opera running seven performances of 'The Magic Flute' Nov. 3-27 2021-10-11|
- Lyric Opera of Chicago is running seven performances of The Magic Flute, Mozart's final opera, on Nov. 3-27. There will be performances at 7 p.m. on Nov. 3; matinees on Nov. 7, 11, 14 and 17, ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Drag Race' winners, Playboy, punk band, The Dinah, Daniel Craig 2021-10-10|
Video below - As part of VH1's #LGBTQHerstoryMonth project, five winners from the RuPaul's Drag Race winner's circle—season one's BeBe Zahara Benet, All Stars 4 winner Monet X Change, season 11 winner Yvie Oddly, season 12 victor Jaida Essence ...
|Madonna's latest concert film, Madame X, now out 2021-10-09|
- The concept film to Madonna's acclaimed Madame X Tour has debuted in the United States Latin America, Australia, the Nordics and Canada exclusively on Paramount+, the streaming service from ViacomCBS. Fans outside these markets can watch ...