by Gregg Shapiro
This article shared 4402 times since Wed Dec 17, 2003
It's old news that some of the best dance remixes start out as ballads. Like Deborah Cox and Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey has reaped the benefits of the transformational touch of dance DJs and club remixers who have a way with remaking and remodeling ballads so that they become dance club anthems. The Remixes ( Columbia ) , the nearly overwhelming double disc twenty-two track Carey compilation might be too much of a good thing. Disc one is disco diva paradise in which Mariah rules as queen of the dance floor on nine songs. Whether it is a dance remix of one of her belter ballads ( the Morales 'My' Club Mix of 'My All,' Hex Hector's beat-soaked Club Mix Edit of 'Through The Rain,' or the C & C Club Version of 'Anytime You Need A Friend' ) or cranked to the roof remixes of rhythmic cuts such as 'Fantasy' or the early career classic 'Emotions,' the presence of each improves on the original. They have something new to say; even with the songs that began as dance tracks. The cluttered and clumsy 'remixes' of disc two simply pale in comparison. The dance remixers respect the fact that it is about the song and not about them and don't feel the need to throw in running commentary by O.D.B., Da Brat, or Busta Rhymes. Only the 'Loverboy' remix, and album tracks such as 'Sweetheart' and 'Miss You' come closest to capturing the energy and the spirit of disc one. As filtered and French as anything you might expect from the M.I.A. Daft Punk, the loping and loopy songs So I Begin ( Radikal ) by Galleon cry out for club play and dancing with abandon. Catchy as a cold, if a bit redundant, opening tracks 'So I Begin,' 'Shining Light,' and 'One Sign,' blend like the finest ingredients in the hands of the most capable DJ and promote a healthy dose of dancing. Galleon ( a duo fronted by the model handsome Gilles Luka ) also dabbles in new wave-touched electroclash on 'The Best World,' the rock growl and fierce organ playing of the appropriately titled 'Da Rock,' the slick Europop slide of 'The Way,' the hip-shaking Eurodisco of 'My Name,' vintage Giorgio Moroder keyboards on 'Ghost Ship,' and even a nod to commercialism on 'Freedom To Move ( Levi's Theme ) ,' which is said to be from an expensive European Levi's advertisement. In addition to including the bumping song 'I Believe,' the disc also features the video to the track, for a complete audio/visual experience.
This article shared 4402 times since Wed Dec 17, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|MCA to showcase Justin Vivian Bond on Oct. 30 2021-10-25|
- On Saturday, Oct. 30, at 3 p.m., The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, 220 E. Chicago Ave., will present "Music Talk: Justin Vivian Bond and Jim Hodges," featuring singer-songwriter, author, painter, performance artist and actor Mx. ...
|REVIEW Randy Rainbow tackles politics, shows talent at The Chicago Theatre 2021-10-24|
- YouTube sensation Randy Rainbow brought The Pink Glasses Tour to The Chicago Theatre on Oct. 22. Best known for videos that parody musical numbers with a focus on politics, the heavily curated show began with a ...
|MUSIC Indie band Fleece is queering country 2021-10-24|
- Eight years ago, gay songwriter and lead singer Matt Rogers and his friend, bisexual drummer Ethan Soil, founded Montreal quartet Fleece. A few years later, bisexual vocalist Megan Ennenberg and straight man Jameson Danielwho are both ...
|MUSIC Elton John's 'The Lockdown Sessions' now out 2021-10-22|
- Elton John's The Lockdown Sessions is now out, courtesy of Interscope Records. An album of collaborations recorded remotely over the last 18 months, The Lockdown Sessions features UK #1 single "Cold Heart (PNAU remix)," with Dua ...
|THEATER E. Faye Butler to star in 'Fannie' Oct. 25-Nov. 14 2021-10-21|
- Goodman Theatre, 170 N. Dearborn St., will host the run of Cheryl L. West's Fannie (The Music and Life of Fannie Lou Hamer), which will run Oct. 25-Nov. 14. E. Faye Butler stars as U.S. civil-rights ...
|Lyric Opera presenting 'Florencia en el Amazonas' Nov. 13-28 2021-10-21|
- During Nov. 13-28, Lyric Opera of Chicago will run the company premiere of Florencia en el Amazonasthe first Spanish-language work to be presented as part of Lyric's mainstage opera season. There will be evening performances on ...
|SHOWBIZ Superman, TheWrap, Oscar Wilde, Billy Porter, Cher, 'Dragula' 2021-10-17|
- The ongoing comic Superman: Son of Kal-El, by writer Tom Taylor and artist John Timms, launched in July and saw Jon Kent officially take up the mantle of the Man of Steel now that his father, ...
|CIFF, featuring LGBTQ+ films, running through Oct. 24 2021-10-15|
- North America's longest-running competitive film festival, this year's event expands throughout Chicago with presentations at venues across the city, including at AMC River East 21; the Music Box Theatre; the Gene Siskel Film Center; special drive ...
|MUSICALS 'Pretty Woman' tickets go on sale Oct. 15 2021-10-15|
- After a pre-Broadway run in Chicago and being on Broadway, Pretty Woman: The Musical, based on one of Hollywood's most beloved romantic stories of all time, returns to Chicago. The production will run at the CIBC ...
|'Tapping into Ca$h' : CaSera Heining lives double life as DJ Ca$h Era and radio producer 2021-10-14|
- Minutes before DJ Ca$h Era hosted Lollapalooza's first drag show, the Black queer woman behind the stage name was pacing nervously behind the scenes and listening to a drag queen animatedly remind her they were "making ...
|MUSIC Janis Ian's last Chicago concert May 14 2021-10-13|
- In what is being advertised as her last concert in Chicago, LGBTQ singer Janis Ian will be performing at the Old Town School of Folk Music, 4544 N. Lincoln Ave. on Saturday, May 14, 2022, at 8 p.m. Tickets ($48-$50) will ...
|THEATER 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog' running through Nov. 6 2021-10-12|
- Black Button Eyes Productions is welcoming back live audiences with the popular internet musical Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog—an authorized fan production to benefit the Chicago charity Season of Concern—playing through ...
|Lyric Opera running seven performances of 'The Magic Flute' Nov. 3-27 2021-10-11|
- Lyric Opera of Chicago is running seven performances of The Magic Flute, Mozart's final opera, on Nov. 3-27. There will be performances at 7 p.m. on Nov. 3; matinees on Nov. 7, 11, 14 and 17, ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Drag Race' winners, Playboy, punk band, The Dinah, Daniel Craig 2021-10-10|
Video below - As part of VH1's #LGBTQHerstoryMonth project, five winners from the RuPaul's Drag Race winner's circle—season one's BeBe Zahara Benet, All Stars 4 winner Monet X Change, season 11 winner Yvie Oddly, season 12 victor Jaida Essence ...
|Madonna's latest concert film, Madame X, now out 2021-10-09|
- The concept film to Madonna's acclaimed Madame X Tour has debuted in the United States Latin America, Australia, the Nordics and Canada exclusively on Paramount+, the streaming service from ViacomCBS. Fans outside these markets can watch ...