by Gregg Shapiro
This article shared 4589 times since Wed Dec 17, 2003
It's old news that some of the best dance remixes start out as ballads. Like Deborah Cox and Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey has reaped the benefits of the transformational touch of dance DJs and club remixers who have a way with remaking and remodeling ballads so that they become dance club anthems. The Remixes ( Columbia ) , the nearly overwhelming double disc twenty-two track Carey compilation might be too much of a good thing. Disc one is disco diva paradise in which Mariah rules as queen of the dance floor on nine songs. Whether it is a dance remix of one of her belter ballads ( the Morales 'My' Club Mix of 'My All,' Hex Hector's beat-soaked Club Mix Edit of 'Through The Rain,' or the C & C Club Version of 'Anytime You Need A Friend' ) or cranked to the roof remixes of rhythmic cuts such as 'Fantasy' or the early career classic 'Emotions,' the presence of each improves on the original. They have something new to say; even with the songs that began as dance tracks. The cluttered and clumsy 'remixes' of disc two simply pale in comparison. The dance remixers respect the fact that it is about the song and not about them and don't feel the need to throw in running commentary by O.D.B., Da Brat, or Busta Rhymes. Only the 'Loverboy' remix, and album tracks such as 'Sweetheart' and 'Miss You' come closest to capturing the energy and the spirit of disc one. As filtered and French as anything you might expect from the M.I.A. Daft Punk, the loping and loopy songs So I Begin ( Radikal ) by Galleon cry out for club play and dancing with abandon. Catchy as a cold, if a bit redundant, opening tracks 'So I Begin,' 'Shining Light,' and 'One Sign,' blend like the finest ingredients in the hands of the most capable DJ and promote a healthy dose of dancing. Galleon ( a duo fronted by the model handsome Gilles Luka ) also dabbles in new wave-touched electroclash on 'The Best World,' the rock growl and fierce organ playing of the appropriately titled 'Da Rock,' the slick Europop slide of 'The Way,' the hip-shaking Eurodisco of 'My Name,' vintage Giorgio Moroder keyboards on 'Ghost Ship,' and even a nod to commercialism on 'Freedom To Move ( Levi's Theme ) ,' which is said to be from an expensive European Levi's advertisement. In addition to including the bumping song 'I Believe,' the disc also features the video to the track, for a complete audio/visual experience.
This article shared 4589 times since Wed Dec 17, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ Broadway, JoJo Siwa, WEHO Pride, 'Jurassic World,' Madonna 2022-05-22|
- The Broadway League announced that all 41 Broadway theaters in New York City have extended the current mask requirement for audiences through at least June 30, Playbill noted. Charlotte St. Martin, president of The Broadway League, ...
|SHOWBIZ Queer playwright, LGBTQ+ films, BMI Pop Awards, new superhero 2022-05-15|
- Jeremy O. Harris, the queer Tony-nominated author of Slave Play, has been named the presiding playwright for the 2023 Yale Drama Series Prizeone of the theater world's most prestigious playwriting honors, Deadline noted. Harris joins the ...
|Inaugural Heatwave Music Festival in Chicago on July 16-17 2022-05-14|
- Auris Presents announced the debut edition and artist lineup for the Heatwave Music Festival, coming to Chicago on July 16-17 in Douglass Park, 1401 S. Sacramento Dr. According to a press release, the festival will be ...
|MUSIC Ty Herndon releasing 'personal' album 'Jacob' on July 15 2022-05-13|
- Out gay Grammy-nominated and Dove Award-winning country artist Ty Herndon announced the release date of his forthcoming album, Jacob. Jacobcalled Herndon's "most personal album to date"will be out July 15. ...
|Casting announced for 'Queer Eye: The Musical Parody' at Second City 2022-05-13|
- Comedy institution The Second City announced the cast and crew of Queer Eye: The Musical Parody, which will start running Thursday, May 26. (The production will run Thursdays through Saturdays at 8 p.m. and Sundays at ...
|MUSIC Riot Fest to take place Sept. 16-18 in Chicago 2022-05-12|
- Riot Festone of the largest remaining independent festivals in the countryis slated to return to Douglass Park on Sept. 16-18. Festival organizers revealed a jam-packed lineup taking up five stages and performing punk, indie rock, hip-hop, ...
|57th Street Art Fair marking 75th anniversary on June 4-5 2022-05-12|
- The 57th Street Art Fair, the Midwest's oldest juried art fair, will mark its 75th anniversary with an in-person celebration on June 4-5 featuring nearly 200 artists, live music presented by Buddy Guy's Legends, and a ...
|THEATER Underscore's 'Notes & Letters' running through May 28 2022-05-12|
- Underscore Theatre Company celebrates its 10th-anniversary season with the world premiere of the musical Notes & Letters, which features book, music and lyrics by Annabelle Lee Revak (she/her) and is ...
|Chicago Gay Men's Chorus to present 'Unimaginable' on May 20-22 2022-05-11|
- The Chicago Gay Men's Chorus will present the spring show "CGMC: Unimaginable," on May 20-22 at three Chicagoland venues. The performances will take place Friday, May 20, at 8 p.m. at Chicago's Athenaeum Center for Thought ...
|Kokandy Productions to present 'Cruel Intentions: The '90s Musical' June 9-Aug. 7 2022-05-10|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (May 10, 2022) — Kokandy Productions is launching its 10th-anniversary season this summer with the Chicago storefront premiere of Cruel Intentions: The '90s Musicala flirty and fun, nostalgia-packed show ...
|Tonys: Queer-themed 'A Strange Loop' leads nods; 'Paradise Square,' 'MJ' close behind 2022-05-09|
- Nominations for the 75th Tony Awards were announced May 9—and a Pulitzer Prize-winning original musical and a play that recounts the 2008 financial crisis led the nods, CNN reported. Leading the nominations was A Strange Loop, ...
|Lakeside Pride to host 'Sweet Home Chicago' on May 29 [UPDATED] 2022-05-08|
- As part of the 40th annual Pride Bands Alliance Conference, Lakeside Pride will host "Sweet Home Chicago" on Sunday, May 29, at 7 p.m. at the Auditorium Theatre, 50 E. Ida B. Wells Dr. Chicago's Lakeside ...
|White Party returns to Palm Springs; celebrities make appearances 2022-05-08|
- After a two-year hiatus, the 32nd Annual White Party Global (formerly White Party Palm Springs) celebrated its return with more than 20,000 attendees from around the globe, a press release noted. Recognized as the longest-running and ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Hacks,' 'Love, Victor,' Indy 500, Ariana DeBose, queer singers 2022-05-08|
- Queer, non-binary actor Carl Clemons-Hopkins (they/them and he/him) told Out Magazine he is elated with the warm reception received by the show Hacks and his character. "When I started in this years and years ago, there ...
|Inaugural 'River North Live' taking place June 24-26 2022-05-06|
- River North Residents Association announced that its annual festival, formerly Taste of River North, will return with a new venue, date and concept for 2022. Taking place June 24-26, River North Live will feature world-class artists ...