WINDY CITY TIMES
||BOOKS Grandma, Grace Jones are heroes in non-binary author's children's book
This article shared 1414 times since Tue Jun 22, 2021
Non-binary author, alternative hip hop artist, mother and activist Ris iRAWniQ Anderson has published the children's book in Charlie's Best Work Yet.
Charlie's Best Work Yet tells the semi-autobiographical story of Charliea shy, artistic young girl who is uplifted and empowered to be her true self by the women in her life.
Star basketball player Devin encourages her to enter the school talent show. A photo of Grace Jones fires her imagination. Bus driver Ms. Bobbi compliments her on her "rad" outfits and dismissal of bullies. Her unconventional grandma inspires her to create, be unique and dress as she pleases.
Charlie's Best Work Yet is published by Charlie Girl Publishing LLC and widely available on major platforms, including Amazon and Barnes & Noble.
Also, Anderson appears in the new Facebook Trans/Nonbinary Pride ad (at www.youtube.com/watch; with Laverne Cox, Isis King and others; and will be heard as the voice of Tickle in the forthcoming JB Ghuman animated film, The Crown with a Shadowa short about a fish who can morph its gender, also starring the voices of Paul Rubens, Geri Horner (formerly Geri Halliwell) and Tatum O'Neal.
This article shared 1414 times since Tue Jun 22, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Actor/model David Pevsner challenges age and body stereotypes in recent book 2022-05-24|
- When writing his recent bookDamn Shame: Desire, Defiance and Show Tunesactor/model/filmmaker David Pevsner noticed three themes coming to the fore: body shame, sexuality and ageism. "All three of those are ...
|Gayla Turner talks new book uncovering her grandmother's secret queer identity 2022-05-23|
- In Gayla Turner's debut book, Don't You Dare: Uncovering Lost Love (BookBaby, May 24), she reveals her Grandmother Ruby's (1896-1977) century-old secret queer identity that she hid from the wider world. This revelation became c ...
|HIV/AIDS activist Rae Lewis-Thornton on her new memoir, 'Unprotected' 2022-05-18|
- Emmy-winning HIV/AIDS activist, author, minister, political organizer, motivational speaker, life coach, jewelry designer and social media figure Rae Clara Lewis-Thornton's recently released book, Unprotected: A Memoir, is already a pre-release ...
|TV Writer Joel Kim Booster, director Andrew Ahn take a trip to 'Fire Island' 2022-05-15|
- Based on the classic Jane Austen book Pride and Prejudice, the new Fox Searchlight film Fire Island has an important story to tell LGBTQ+ audiences specifically. In that story, there are plenty of laughs along the ...
|BOOKS 'Tinderbox' author to appear in Palatine on June 14 2022-05-13|
- Author Robert Fieseler will discuss his debut book—Tinderbox: The Untold Story of the Up Stairs Lounge Fire and the Rise of Gay Liberation—on Tuesday, June 14, at 7 p.m. at Palatine's Cutting Hall Performing Arts Center, ...
|THEATER Underscore's 'Notes & Letters' running through May 28 2022-05-12|
- Underscore Theatre Company celebrates its 10th-anniversary season with the world premiere of the musical Notes & Letters, which features book, music and lyrics by Annabelle Lee Revak (she/her) and is ...
|Book-signing for HIV/AIDS activist's 'Unprotected: A Memoir' on May 21 2022-05-05|
-- From a press release - "I had been torn apart by the doings of others and blamed myself for surviving to the best of my ability. It would literally take decades for me to understand that I was the product of what happened to me." Emmy ...
|Gerber/Hart announces change in leadership 2022-05-04|
- Wil Brant is no longer executive director of Gerber/Hart Library and Archives. According to an open letter from board co-chairs James Conley and Kevin Nunley as well as Board Treasurer Becky Chmielewski, Brant "served in this ...
|'It Was Vulgar and It Was Beautiful' explores art collective's part in HIV/AIDS activism 2022-04-23|
- In Jack Lowery's book, It Was Vulgar and It Was Beautiful: How AIDS Activists Used Art to Fight a Pandemic, the historian shares how the art collective Gran Fury utilized community-made propaganda to address the HIV/AIDS ...
|Wisconsin LGBTQ History Project showcases 'History of Milwaukee Drag' starting June 27 2022-04-21|
-- From a press release - Milwaukee, WI. - A History of Milwaukee Drag: Seven Generations of Glamour, by local historians Michail Takach and BJ Daniels, will be released Monday, June 27 by The History Press. For nearly 150 years, Milwaukee has ...
|Gay Latino techie Michael Sayman talks about his inspiring book, 'App Kid' 2022-04-17|
- Michael Sayman is a key figure in Silicon Valley, having worked at Instagram, Google and, now, Twitter. However, he stands out in many ways. The twentysomething Sayman—an openly gay Latino—was only in his teens when he ...
|Indie Bookstore Crawl on Independent Bookstore Day April 30 2022-04-14|
-- From a press release - Chicago, April 12, 2022 — It's back! Yet again, Chicagoland proves itself to be the dream destination for book lovers and readers of all ages! Nearly 40 independent bookstores in the greater Chicago area—from Lake Forest ...
|'Trans Bodies, Trans Selves' second edition out April 15 2022-04-11|
-- From a press release - NEW YORK CITY, New York, MApril 11, 2022—The Trans Bodies, Trans Selves board is proud to announce the release of Trans Bodies, Trans Selves' second edition, published April 15, 2022. The Trans Bodies Trans Selvessecond edition ...
|Mary Lynn Rajskub: Actress/comedian discusses acting, sexuality in new book 2022-04-10|
- Emmy-winning actresses and stand-up comedians who just finished publishing their new memoirs, while simultaneously embarking on their stand-up tours, rarely have moments to themselves. Thankfully, Mary Lynn Rajskub, best known for her work on the TV ...
|Gerber/Hart Library and Archives holds 40th-anniversary event at Sidetrack 2022-04-09|
- Gerber/Hart Library and Archives (Gerber/Hart) celebrated its 40th anniversary with a "40 & Fabulous! The Gerber/Hart Spring Soiree" benefit April 7the birthday of one of the library's namesakes, Pearl Hartat ...