WINDY CITY TIMES
Fed Up Fest 2014
From a press release
by Vern Hester
This article shared 72 times since Tue Jul 29, 2014
From a quick glance at the Facebook Event page for the first Fed Up Festival, one could be misled into believing the event was simply a punk LGBTQ friendly blow-out. The eventwhich took place July 25-27 at the Co-Prosperity Sphere in Bridgeportwas far more then just that.
With many participants and punk bands coming in from as far away as New York and Canada, this event presented a welcoming space for not only LGBTQ punk rockers and allies, but also trans individuals and queer youth. It also served as a forum for racism and xenophobia, body image, radical queer expression, transphobia, coalition and community building, sexual politics, and the establishment of the seeds for a DIY queer community that embraces all. The Fed Up Fest was not just about words and thoughts, but about action.
Inspired by the direct action coalition FUQ ( Fed Up Queers ) that germinated out of ACT UP in New York City in 1989, this festival served as a fundraiser for Project Fierce Chicago. Project Fierce, a relatively young organization, aims to reduce homelessness among LGBTQ young adults while providing them with options for creating a fuller life.
Among the presentations at the festival were forums on prisoner support projects, "anti-blackness ( a dialogue on ingrained racism and xenophobia ), the current conflict in the Gaza Strip and sex-worker safety..
July 26 activities included readings from writers and bloggers on topics such as inner city gentrification, body image and acceptance, and growing up queer and closeted as a Latina in a staunchly Catholic household.
Of course, there was the music and dancing with queer bands Closet Burner, Homewreckers and Parasol, among others, playing July 25. The following day showcased Aye Nako, Sorrows and Curmudgeon, and was topped with a rare surprise set from queer punk legends Limp Wrist. The final afternoon of the festival brought sets from Slouch, Force Quit, Peeple Watchin' and local band Anomaly.
With all the punk attitude, heated and emotional dialogue, and slam dancing, there were no physical injuries or confrontations. The festival could only be viewed as a resounding social and financial success with kindness and respect permeating the entire weekend.
This article shared 72 times since Tue Jul 29, 2014
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|House Musical: Coming of Age in the Age of House, celebrating the house music scene, to run April 20 - 30 2023-03-30|
--From a press release - Chicago, Illinois (March 30, 2023) — Campsongs Productions today announced the on-sale of world premiere musical House Musical: Coming of Age in the Age of House, celebrating Chicago's famed house music scene at the legendary Warehouse ...
|Book of Mormon's Sam Nackman knocks on Cadillac Palace door 2023-03-28|
- The Book of Mormon is returning to Chicago on a mission to convert new followers into the musical fold. The masterminds behind the satirical cartoon series South Park, Matt Stone and Trey Parker created a smash ...
|Kokandy Productions announces 2023 Season 2023-03-22|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (March 22, 2023) — Kokandy Productions is thrilled to announce its 2023 season, including two fully produced musicals, plus plans for the return of the Chicago Musical Theatre Festival. This summer, Kokandy will dive into ...
|Kendrick Lamar, Billie Eilish, Diplo and more to headline Lollapalooza on Aug. 3-6 2023-03-21|
--From a press release - (Chicago—March 21, 2023) Lollapalooza has unveiled a powerhouse lineup for the 2023 edition, featuring first-time headliners Kendrick Lamar and Billie Eilish along with Red Hot Chili Peppers, ODESZA, Lana Del Rey, Karol G, who will make ...
|Opera Preview: Life of gay World War II hero Alan Turing transformed into a world-premiere opera 2023-03-17|
- It has taken a decade for The Life and Death(s) of Alan Turing to grow from an idea into a full- fledged opera. Chicago Opera Theater stages the world premiere of composer Justine F. Chen and ...
|Lyric Opera of Chicago announces its 2023-24 season 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (3/14/2023) — Lyric Opera of Chicago, led by General Director, President & CEO Anthony Freud and Music Director Enrique Mazzola, today announces the company's 2023/24 Season, which takes audiences on a global tour of opera ...
|House Musical, Coming of Age in the Age of House, coming to Hoover-Leppen Theatre 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - Campsongs Productions presents the world premiere of House Musical - Coming of Age in the Age of House, with book by Marcus Waller, music by Scott Free (with Michael Foley) and lyrics by Scott Free and ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE announce dates for summer festivals and events 2023-03-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGOToday, Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) announced the 2023 dates for some of the City of Chicago's most beloved summertime traditions. Returning festivals and events include ...
|SHOWBIZ Little Richard, Indigo Girls, Rodriguez's honor, dance film, Pedro Pascal 2023-03-10|
Video below - Produced by Bungalow Media + Entertainment for CNN Films and HBO Max, in association with Rolling Stone Films, director Lisa Cortes' Sundance opening-night documentary Little Richard: I Am Everything will debut in theaters and on VOD ...
|SHOWBIZ Wanda Sykes, Jonas Brothers, 'Queen of Versailles,' 'Bloodshed' 2023-03-04|
Adam Lambert video below - Award-winning comedian Wanda Sykes' new comedy special, I'm An Entertainer, will premiere globally on Netflix on May 23, a press release announced. The special, directed by Linda Mendoza, was filmed in early February 2023 at Philadelphia's ...
|Singer Zolita zips through Chicago on a whirlwind tour 2023-02-28|
- Zoe Montana Hoetzel has evolved into the multidimensional artist known as Zolita while cultivating a massive following. Her personality is multifaceted as well. She identifies as a lesbian, an activist and a witch, but she's also ...
|SHOWBIZ Black queer films, Janet Jackson, Paramore, WNBA, GALECA contest 2023-02-19|
- Queerty ran a piece on 10 films that celebrate Black queer love. Some of them include The Skinny (with Jussie Smollett), Dee Rees' movie Pariah, the Oscar-winning Moonlight, the Marlon Riggs classic Tongues Untied, Brother to ...
|Theater Review: Cabaret continues to reflect on our modern challenges 2023-02-14|
- Title: Cabaret. Book: Joe Masteroff; Score: John Kander & Fred Ebb. At: Porchlight Music Theatre at Ruth Page Center for the Arts, 1016 N. Dearborn St. Tickets: 773-777-9884 or www.PorchlightMusicTheatre.org; prices begin at $25. Runs through ...
|Goran Stolevski grows up fast with Of an Age 2023-02-14|
- Openly gay filmmaker Goran Stolevski is a triple threat: He handled directing, writing and editing chores for his new project, Of an Age, which Focus Features is now distributing. The film is already taking home trophies ...
|Queer songwriter donates $500K to Chicago Academy for the Arts 2023-02-13|
- Returning to the school that they said saved their life years ago and set them on a path to becoming one of the most celebrated activists and songwriters of the modern era, it was announced Feb. ...
|WORLD Venezuela code, Oxfam, Bosnia items, 'Brokeback,' Pope Francis|
|NATIONAL 'Don't Say Gay,' anti-trans bills, gay Irish leader visits, gay Calif. mayor|
|SHOWBIZ 'Joy Ride,' Cynthia Erivo, David Bowie, March Madness, Kevin Bacon|
|ALA: 2022 saw record demand of censorship of library books|
|Michaela Jae Rodriguez honored at HRC dinner|