||BEING CONTINUED: Take Out
by AK Miller
This article shared 1623 times since Wed Feb 15, 2012
It's 11:18 pm againfor the third time this weekas Tommy is walking out in the cold. He steps on his own shadow as it stretches across the sidewalk. He wishes he could kick it in the face the way he is kicking himself inside. He isn't doing anything wrong, but he still feel as though he may be making a mistake. A half an hour ago he was at home and bored and feeling alone so he reached for his phone and started cruising the apps guys use to meet guys, the same way a lot of guys do and are doing right now. He knew he should just have gone to bed. He wasn't looking for sex, but he wanted company, contact, a reminder that he was desired. He scrolled through the photos of faces and body parts as if it were a menu. His phone chimed repeatedly as guys tried to get his attention with sweeping introductions such as "Hey" and "What's up?" There was finally one guy who caught his eye. A 28-year-old hipsterista-looking guy who lived on the other side of Boystown. So Tommy sent him a message. "Hey man, how are you?" Not his best line, but the guy answered back. They did the procedural exchange of pictures and pleasantries, the cyber mating dance of the modern gay male. The guy was cute and kind of funny and looking for someone to hang out with. So here Tommy goes again. Out into the freezing winter night to meet up with a stranger. Not even a Facebook friend, a stranger. Tommy didn't fool himself into thinking that this was a date or that this could be the one. These things never worked out for him. One time the guy he met just kept telling him how hot he was over and over and over again until Tommy was so turned off that he wanted to run out the door. Another time the guy was at least fifty pounds heavier than the picture he used in his profile and said "I want you to breed my ass" when he opened the front door. Tommy did turn around and left that time. He knew that hooking up like this was like ordering Chinese food from a place you have never been before. You don't know what you are going to get, it probably isn't very good, and you are just going to be hungry again later. Yet here he goes. Was this insanity, Trying the same thing again and again hoping for a different result? Or was it just his loneliness taking him over? I mean if he just wanted sex he could go to a bar or bathhouse and pick up someone. So is this laziness? Getting human contact without getting to know the person: It may seem like it would spare him from any emotional impact, but it doesn't. He usually ends up just feeling more alone and a bit, well, icky. Tommy reaches the guy's house before he answers any of his own questions. He stares at the buzzer. His hesitation says it all, but he's not sure if he will listen. He could send the guy a message and cancel this whole thing. He could head home before the guy knew he was there. Or he could go for door number one, get inside and out of the freezing air and feel the touch of someone else's hands. Tommy felt like a delivery boy and he was the entrée. Is this what he really wanted? He finally makes a decision and takes a deep breath of cold air. Then the door in front of him swings open. So now what?
This article shared 1623 times since Wed Feb 15, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Berlin Nightclub closes after nearly 40 years, following boycott 2023-11-21|
Decades of Photo Archives below - After nearly forty years, Berlin Nightclub, 954 W. Belmont Ave., officially closed its doors Nov. 19 following a months-long fight between its owners and unionized workers. Owners Jim Schuman and Jo Webster officially announced Berlin Nightclub's ...
|Happy Hail-loween: Rough weather doesn't get the better of Haunted Halsted revelers 2023-11-03|
- The 26th annual Haunted Halsted Halloween Parade returned for the 26th time on Oct. 31. Attendees were challenged by a mix of rain, snow and hail as they marched down Halsted Street from Belmont Avenue towards ...
|Berlin Nightclub workers urge customers to boycott as they fight for fair contract 2023-10-31|
- Berlin Nightclub workers are calling for people to boycott the LGBTQ+ club while they push for their first contract, which they hope will include increased wages and access to healthcare. Berlin Nightclub workers unionized in April ...
|MIR's Intergalactic Rubber celebration soars to a suburb not too far way 2023-10-27|
Photos by Joseph Stevens - Mister International Rubber (MIR) 27, this year themed as Intergalactic Rubber, took off Oct. 19-22 from their new location at the DoubleTree Hotel by Hilton in Skokie. MIR26 Pusckatt Pumera Onyx stepped down and passed their ...
|GAY HISTORY MONTH In the '60s, drag found a home in San Francisco's Glen Park 2023-10-02|
- Special to Windy City Times. To mark Gay History Month, this article appears courtesy of the Bay Area Reporter. During the '60s most LGBTQ nightlife in San Francisco was centered in the northern neighborhoods of the ...
|Nobody's Darling celebrates expansion into adjoining property with soft opening event 2023-09-24|
- In the little over two years since its opening, Nobody's Darling in Andersonville has emerged as one of the premiere inclusive spaces to gather in Chicago. Nobody's Darling has become so successful that co-owners Angela Barnes ...
|Chicago musician, producer and DJ Don Crescendo killed in Avondale stabbing 2023-09-20|
- Chicago's LGBTQ+ nightlife community and allies have rallied around the family and close friends of local longtime musician, producer and DJ Rodney Donovan Taylor, a.k.a. Don Crescendo, in the wake of his death by stabbing last ...
|MUSIC Kylie Minogue to debut Vegas residency this fall 2023-07-28|
- The Venetian Resort Las Vegas revealed details surrounding its new 1,000-seat nightlife space, Voltaire, with the announcement of its first headlinerpop sensation and LGBTQ+ ally Kylie Minogue, a press release ...
|Bears, cubs and their admirers return for Illinois Bear Contest 2023-04-11|
- Visitors and Chicagoans gathered at Charlies Chicago, 3726 N. Broadway, on April 7 to kick off the Illinois Bear Contest weekend, the first since 2019. The contest itself took place the following evening at Leather Archives ...
|SHOWBIZ Trans musicians, NHL, 'Queen Charlotte,' Jinkx Monsoon, Anderson Cooper 2023-04-08|
- The Face published an article about five trans musicians who should be on people's playlists. British queer nightlife legend Mya Mehmi said that those musicians include New York's Ms Boogie, London-based Harve, Arca, Ms. Carrie Stacks ...
|Winners chosen in the International Puppy and Trainer Contest 2023-04-03|
- The International Puppy & Trainer Contest was held in Chicago the weekend of March 31 to April 2 for the first time since 2019. The contest's Meet & Greet was held at Cellblock on March 31. The contest was hosted the ...
|PASSAGES: Visual artist, Chicago nightlife scene drag performer legend and hairdresser Jojo Baby 2023-03-16|
- Visual artist, Chicago nightlife scene drag performer legend, doll-maker and hairdresser Jojo Baby died March 14 of liver, lung and stomach cancer. They were 51. Baby was born April 10, 1971, in Chicago and grew up ...
|Puppy & Handler Contest returns 2023-02-21|
Joseph Stephens - The Midwest Puppy & Handler Contest took place the weekend of Feb. 17-18 for the first time since 2019. The contest's meet-and-greet was held at Cellblock Feb. 17. The contest itself was hosted by the Leather ...
|Chicagoans gather for Jackhammer re-opening 2023-01-30|
Photos by Joseph Stevens - Rogers Park leather and fetish bar Jackhammer held its grand re-opening the evening of Jan. 27 after a long renovation process. The longtime North Side watering hole opened in 1999, taking over the space previously occupied ...
|ONYX Midwest forum tackles racist performance at Touche's anniversary party 2023-01-22|
- In a response to the racist performance that took place at the leather, fetish and bear-focused Touche Chicago's 45th anniversary celebration on Nov. 1, 2022, ONYX Midwest hosted a community forum Jan. 21 at The Leather ...