WINDY CITY TIMES
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times
This article shared 1023 times since Tue Aug 23, 2016
Uber advancement: The ride-sharing firm Uber will, for the first time, allow users to hail self-driving cars, BBC News reported. Uber said the launch would take place in Pittsburgh, and that it's teaming with Volvo. At first, the vehicles will be supervised by a driver, who can take control if necessary, and an observer, Bloomberg reported. The firm first revealed plans to replace human drivers two years ago.
Jobs added: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is adding 300 jobs at its Belvidere, Illinois-based car production facility, ILNews.org reported. This was a huge announcement for us," Belvidere Mayor Mike Chamberlain said. "The way we count it here is how it affects the regional economy, but it's great news for the state of Illinois, too." The car company, which has had a plant in town since the 1960s, plans to pump $350 million into the plant as it prepares to shift production of its Jeep Cherokee from Ohio to Illinois.
Hybrid deals: The 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid gets a $2,500 rebate through Sept. 6, as well as a $1,500 "conquest bonus" for buyers switching from competitor brands, according to Green Car Reports. Also through Sept. 6, the 2016 Kia Optima Hybrid is available to lease at $259 per month for 36 months, with and allowance of 12,000 miles per year.
Insurance info: How much you drive per year has a direct bearing on how it affects your premium when you apply for an auto insurance policy, App.com noted. According to new data from insuranceQuotes.com, a policyholder who drives 15,000 miles a year pays a national average of 8.61 percent more for car insurance than an insured who drives 5,000 miles. California has the biggest premium increase in the nation at 26.15 percent, followed by Alaska ( 10.45 percent ), Washington, D.C. ( 10.2 percent ), Alabama ( 9.82 percent ) and Massachusetts ( 9.79 percent ).
This article shared 1023 times since Tue Aug 23, 2016
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Now, only five of Chicago's 50 aldermen reject automatic pay raises 2021-09-16|
- Forty-five out of 50 Chicago aldermen have opted to accept a 5.5% pay increase in 2022 that will push the highest paid among them to an annual salary of more than $130,000, according to The Chicago Tribune. ...
|AUTOS 2021 BMW 430i: Hard Top or Soft? 2021-08-06|
- This year's BMW 430i xDrive really is the classic sportscar. You can get it as a coupe or as a convertible, the only two trims available. Basically, it's just two doors and you can have it with a year-round hard top ...
|Chicago Auto Show taking place July 15-19 2021-07-14|
- An abridged version of the annual Chicago Auto Show will take place July 15-19 at McCormick Place, 2301 S. King Dr. The auto show will be one of McCormick Place's first live, in-person events since the ...
|Pritzker announces $10M vaccination lottery
- As Illinois continues to lead the Midwest in vaccinating our residents, Gov. JB Pritzker announced a new $10 million "All In for the Win" promotion that will reward vaccinated Illinoisans by automatically entering them into a ...
|Chicago Auto Show to return to McCormick Place in July 2021-05-04|
- On May 4, Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker and Chicago Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot joined elected officials, tourism backers and labor leaders to announce the return of the annual Chicago Auto Show. The eventthe nation's largest and ...
|THEATER 'A Portrait of My Mother' to start streaming May 9
- Jarrott Productions will present the world premiere of A Portrait of My Mother, written and performed by Carlo Lorenzo Garcia and directed by David R. Jarrott. The autobiographical tribute to Garcia's mother, Maria, begins streaming on ...
|AUTOS 2020 Cadillac XT6 is the stylish transport for you and your posse 2020-08-18|
- Cadillac has long hosted fashion shows with acres of flat sheetmetal, glistening chrome, and cabins drenched with all the finest materials. This once meant block-long sedans, but people aren't buying ...
|Billy Masters 2020-06-10|
- "Alone we can achieve so little; together we can achieve so much."Tiffany Trump. Actually, the Trump spawn was quoting Helen Kellerbecause, when I think of one, I automatically think of the other. Tiff's tweet had the ...
|Driver-service facilities to expand hours June 1 2020-05-25|
- Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White announced his office's reopening plan starting June 1with the first two months focused on serving ONLY new drivers, customers with expired driver's licenses/ID cards ...
|AUTOS Elegant 2020 BMW 840i knows how to butter your rolls 2020-05-25|
- I've been craving a grilled chicken sandwich and rolls from the Beef House Restaurant near Covington, Indiana. With a BMW 840i in the driveway, an 80-mile drive for a yummy snack no longer seemed excessive. Given ...
|No Pride during the pandemic? Buffalo Grove steps in 2020-04-29|
by Randy Stern, Gaywheels.com - What if we told you that a new kind of pride celebration will be happening in a suburb of Chicago? And it's one that fits within the framework of what we are dealing with during this health crisis. Last year, the ...
|Billy Masters 2020-03-17|
- "You're full of shit. I support the Second Amendment. I'm not taking your gun away. I did not say that."Joe Biden responds to a worker at an automobile plant in Detroit who accused him of "actively ...
|AUTOS 2020 Jeep Wrangler, diesel go together like Grace and Frankie 2020-03-03|
- One of my guilty pleasures for the last few years has been Netflix's series Grace and Frankie starring Jane Fonda and Lilly Tomlin. Individually, the two are icons. Together, they are a match made in Heaven ...
|Chicago Auto Show Feb. 8-17 2020-02-01|
- The next Chicago Auto Show will take place Feb. 8-17 at McCormick Place, 2301 S. Lake Shore Dr. North America's largest auto show, the event spans more than 1 million square feet of floor space of ...
|AUTOS Vehicles of the decade 2020-01-07|
- The 2010s were a decade of progress for LGBT people. Our visibility and representation increased multi-fold with major strides made by our government, our lives, and our culture. Our community broke through many barriers that are ...