WINDY CITY TIMES
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times
This article shared 819 times since Tue Aug 23, 2016
Uber advancement: The ride-sharing firm Uber will, for the first time, allow users to hail self-driving cars, BBC News reported. Uber said the launch would take place in Pittsburgh, and that it's teaming with Volvo. At first, the vehicles will be supervised by a driver, who can take control if necessary, and an observer, Bloomberg reported. The firm first revealed plans to replace human drivers two years ago.
Jobs added: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is adding 300 jobs at its Belvidere, Illinois-based car production facility, ILNews.org reported. This was a huge announcement for us," Belvidere Mayor Mike Chamberlain said. "The way we count it here is how it affects the regional economy, but it's great news for the state of Illinois, too." The car company, which has had a plant in town since the 1960s, plans to pump $350 million into the plant as it prepares to shift production of its Jeep Cherokee from Ohio to Illinois.
Hybrid deals: The 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid gets a $2,500 rebate through Sept. 6, as well as a $1,500 "conquest bonus" for buyers switching from competitor brands, according to Green Car Reports. Also through Sept. 6, the 2016 Kia Optima Hybrid is available to lease at $259 per month for 36 months, with and allowance of 12,000 miles per year.
Insurance info: How much you drive per year has a direct bearing on how it affects your premium when you apply for an auto insurance policy, App.com noted. According to new data from insuranceQuotes.com, a policyholder who drives 15,000 miles a year pays a national average of 8.61 percent more for car insurance than an insured who drives 5,000 miles. California has the biggest premium increase in the nation at 26.15 percent, followed by Alaska ( 10.45 percent ), Washington, D.C. ( 10.2 percent ), Alabama ( 9.82 percent ) and Massachusetts ( 9.79 percent ).
This article shared 819 times since Tue Aug 23, 2016
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|AUTOS 2020 Cadillac XT6 is the stylish transport for you and your posse 2020-08-18|
- Cadillac has long hosted fashion shows with acres of flat sheetmetal, glistening chrome, and cabins drenched with all the finest materials. This once meant block-long sedans, but people aren't buying ...
|Billy Masters 2020-06-10|
- "Alone we can achieve so little; together we can achieve so much."Tiffany Trump. Actually, the Trump spawn was quoting Helen Kellerbecause, when I think of one, I automatically think of the other. Tiff's tweet had the ...
|Driver-service facilities to expand hours June 1 2020-05-25|
- Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White announced his office's reopening plan starting June 1with the first two months focused on serving ONLY new drivers, customers with expired driver's licenses/ID cards ...
|AUTOS Elegant 2020 BMW 840i knows how to butter your rolls 2020-05-25|
- I've been craving a grilled chicken sandwich and rolls from the Beef House Restaurant near Covington, Indiana. With a BMW 840i in the driveway, an 80-mile drive for a yummy snack no longer seemed excessive. Given ...
|No Pride during the pandemic? Buffalo Grove steps in 2020-04-29|
by Randy Stern, Gaywheels.com - What if we told you that a new kind of pride celebration will be happening in a suburb of Chicago? And it's one that fits within the framework of what we are dealing with during this health crisis. Last year, the ...
|Billy Masters 2020-03-17|
- "You're full of shit. I support the Second Amendment. I'm not taking your gun away. I did not say that."Joe Biden responds to a worker at an automobile plant in Detroit who accused him of "actively ...
|AUTOS 2020 Jeep Wrangler, diesel go together like Grace and Frankie 2020-03-03|
- One of my guilty pleasures for the last few years has been Netflix's series Grace and Frankie starring Jane Fonda and Lilly Tomlin. Individually, the two are icons. Together, they are a match made in Heaven ...
|Chicago Auto Show Feb. 8-17 2020-02-01|
- The next Chicago Auto Show will take place Feb. 8-17 at McCormick Place, 2301 S. Lake Shore Dr. North America's largest auto show, the event spans more than 1 million square feet of floor space of ...
|AUTOS Vehicles of the decade 2020-01-07|
- The 2010s were a decade of progress for LGBT people. Our visibility and representation increased multi-fold with major strides made by our government, our lives, and our culture. Our community broke through many barriers that are ...
|Dealership giving away car in contest 2019-12-04|
- Chevrolet of Homewood is giving away a car for the fifth consecutive year. Each contest participant should submit a story (no more than 200 words) about himself/herself/themself or someone that person knows, explaining why winning this ...
|THEATER REVIEW Sundown, Yellow Moon 2019-10-16|
- Playwright: Rachel Bonds; songs by The Bengsons At: Raven Theatre, 6157 N. Clark St. Tickets: 773-338-2177; RavenTheatre.com; $43-$46. Runs through: Nov. 17 Some online research confirmed that this play was autobiographical, at least in general if ...
|Celebrate Pride, take a road trip! 2019-06-26|
- June is busting all over, thanks to LGBT Pride celebrations scheduled throughout the month. This particular June is of huge importance to our community. It marks the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots that took place ...
|No 'shortest way' to the White House for Pete Buttigieg 2019-05-08|
- The last paragraph of Pete Buttigieg's autobiography, The Shortest Way Home, could almost serve as a summary of The Wizard of Oz: The protagonist rushed to "escape the hometown that had shaped me," then "slowly and ...
|Monica Helms discusses trans flag creation, new book, activism 2019-04-24|
- In 2005, transgender U.S. Navy veteran Monica F. Helms started writing her autobiography, but eventually she set it aside, deciding that "my life was still continuing." "Last year, something in my head told me I needed ...
|Bird-Martinez vies for 31st Ward City Council spot 2019-02-13|
- Openly gay automotive software designer Colin Bird-Martinez is currently running to represent the 31st Ward in the Feb. 26 citywide elections. Bird-Martinez has done a great deal of activism work locally, and he now maintains that ...