||Asian Theater 'Saves Face'
This article shared 5083 times since Wed Dec 1, 2004
The Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs presents the first annual Saving Face Festival, a showcase of staged readings and performances by seven Asian-American theater companies, Saturday, Dec. 4 from 11:30 a.m.-9 p.m. and Sunday, Dec. 5 from 1-9 p.m. at the Studio Theater in the Chicago Cultural Center, 77 E. Randolph St. Admission is free.
Participating companies include: dueEast Theatre, Mango Tribe, Pintig Cultural Group, Rasaka Theatre Company, Silk Road Theatre Project, Stir-Friday Night! and Tea Company.
The Saving Face Theatre Council of Chicago is a collaborative network comprised of not-for-profit theatre companies presenting diverse Asian-American experiences through the mediums of theatre and performance. Saving Face Theatre Council of Chicago defines 'Asian-American' in the broadest, most inclusive sense, encompassing peoples and backgrounds spanning the entire breadth of the Asian continent, from East and Southeast Asia to Central and Southwest Asia ( the Middle East ) , and from South Asia ( the Indian sub-continent ) all the way to North Asia ( Asiatic Russia ) , including peoples of mixed cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
For more information, call the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs at ( 312 ) 744-6630 or visit www.chicagoculturalcenter.org .
This article shared 5083 times since Wed Dec 1, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Quiz program 'Wait, Wait' to start taping June 16 at the Studebaker 2022-05-16|
- Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!, NPR's weekly hour-long quiz program, will resume live audience recordings Thursday, June 16, in a new Chicago home: the historic Studebaker Theater at the Fine Arts Building, 401 S. Michigan Ave. ...
|SHOWBIZ Queer playwright, LGBTQ+ films, BMI Pop Awards, new superhero 2022-05-15|
- Jeremy O. Harris, the queer Tony-nominated author of Slave Play, has been named the presiding playwright for the 2023 Yale Drama Series Prizeone of the theater world's most prestigious playwriting honors, Deadline noted. Harris joins the ...
|THEATER 'The Secretaries: A Parable' running through June 11 2022-05-12|
- First Floor Theater returns to live production with the world premiere of company member Omer Abbas Salem's The Secretaries: A Parable following the script's 2021 development as part of Goodman Theatre's Future Labs. The production will ...
|THEATER Underscore's 'Notes & Letters' running through May 28 2022-05-12|
- Underscore Theatre Company celebrates its 10th-anniversary season with the world premiere of the musical Notes & Letters, which features book, music and lyrics by Annabelle Lee Revak (she/her) and is ...
|FILM 'The Adventures of Priscilla' to show nationwide on June 2 2022-05-11|
- Iconic Events Releasing will kick off Pride Month with a special nationwide rerelease of MGM's classic 1994 Australian film The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. Screenings will take place in select theaters nationwide on ...
|Kokandy Productions to present 'Cruel Intentions: The '90s Musical' June 9-Aug. 7 2022-05-10|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (May 10, 2022) — Kokandy Productions is launching its 10th-anniversary season this summer with the Chicago storefront premiere of Cruel Intentions: The '90s Musicala flirty and fun, nostalgia-packed show ...
|Tonys: Queer-themed 'A Strange Loop' leads nods; 'Paradise Square,' 'MJ' close behind 2022-05-09|
- Nominations for the 75th Tony Awards were announced May 9—and a Pulitzer Prize-winning original musical and a play that recounts the 2008 financial crisis led the nods, CNN reported. Leading the nominations was A Strange Loop, ...
|THEATER Performers Diana DeGarmo and Ace Young skate into the Windy City 2022-05-04|
- The popular television show American Idol brought Diana DeGarmo and Ace Young together, even though they actually competed on separate seasons. Fate and destiny are also parts of the storyline in the duo's latest project Skates. ...
|THEATER Silk Road co-founders talk about journey from medical setback 2022-05-03|
- Malik Gillani co-founded Silk Road Risinga theater company focused on sharing the life stories of the overlooked and underrepresented people living along the Silk Road in Asia and the Middle Eastwith his husband, Jamil Khoury, almost ...
|Actors 30 and older needed for Bronzeville murder-mystery production 2022-05-03|
- Actors and actresses who are at least 30 years old are needed for a murder-mystery production that revolves around a historical Bronzeville development. Wooley's Place will involve a murder that will take place in Chicago's Bronzeville ...
|Raven Theatre announces 40th Anniversary Season 2022-05-02|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (May 2, 2022) — Raven Theatre is pleased to announce its 40th Anniversary Season, kicking off this fall with a fresh take on Noel Coward's iconic 1930 comedy Private Lives, directed by Ian Frank. The ...
|DANCE A&A Ballet to offer Family Dance Series starting May 14 2022-05-02|
- A&A Ballet (A&A), under the artistic direction of Alexei Kremnev and Anna Reznik, announced a new Family Dance Series at the Athenaeum Theater, 2936 N. Southport Ave., premiering Saturday, May 14, at 3 p.m. Fresh from ...
|Refracted Theatre to launch inaugural Chicago season with queer production 2022-05-02|
- Refracted Theatre Company has announced its inaugural Chicago season, featuring a launch event and a world-premiere queer-themed production where curiosity is rewarded with the unexpected, and an open heart is met with a colorful display of ...
|THEATER 'At the Vanishing Point' running through May 22 2022-05-02|
- The Gift Theatre is welcoming back live audiences with the Chicago premiere of Naomi Iizuka's drama At the Vanishing Point, directed by Lavina Jadhwani. It runs through Sunday, May 22, at Filament Theatre, 4041 N. Milwaukee ...
|'Moulin Rouge' performance canceled after Loop shooting 2022-05-02|
- Broadway In Chicago canceled the May 1 performance of Moulin Rouge! The Musical, at the James M. Nederlander Theatre, following the nearby shooting in The Loop, ABC 7 Chicago reported. A 27-year-old man and a 55-year-old ...