||Arrest in Case of Slain Teen
This article shared 2964 times since Tue Nov 1, 2005
A 28-year-old Chicago man has been charged with sex offenses against three youths, including a 14-year-old boy whose naked body was found in Lincoln Park, according to an item in the Chicago Tribune.
Shawn Thigpen, of the 8100 block of South Peoria, has been charged with three counts of felony aggravated criminal sexual abuse, but not with causing the death of Michael Williams, authorities said. Police spokesman Pat Camden told Windy City Times that there is not yet enough evidence to charge Thigpen with Williams's death, but that the investigation is 'definitely ongoing.' The suspect's three alleged victims included Williams, a South Side teen who disappeared Aug. 17, and whose nude body was found in the 2700 block of North Lake Shore in Lincoln Park. The Cook County medical examiner's office said Williams died of suffocation.
Williams was sexually assaulted. The father, also named Michael Williams, told the Tribune that he suspected his son had been targeted through his use of a Chicago telephone chat line popular with some teens. Police said that they matched Thigpen's DNA to the Williams case and to instances of alleged sexual abuse involving two other juveniles.
This article shared 2964 times since Tue Nov 1, 2005
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Chief Judge Evans responds to Mayor Lightfoot's request on electronic monitoring 2022-01-18|
-- Press release from Office of the Chief Judge Cook County Circuit Court - Chief Judge Timothy C. Evans responded Jan. 19 to Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot's request for a moratorium on use of electronic monitoring for defendants accused of certain violent crimes by pointing out the national and state ...
|Amariey Lej, 20 year old Black trans woman, killed in Pennsylvania 2022-01-12|
-- From a NBJC press release - WILKINSBURG, PA- The National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC) mourns the loss of Amariey Lej, a 20-year-old Black transgender woman. Amariey was shot and found lying in the streets of Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania, on January 1, 2022. Lej ...
|Duval Princess, 24 year old Black trans woman, found shot to death in Florida 2022-01-12|
--From a NBJC press release - FLORIDA — The National Black Justice Coalition mourns the loss of Duval Princess, a 24-year-old Black transgender woman. Princess was found shot in a car at Highland Square shopping center in Jacksonville, Florida, on January 3, ...
|Ahmaud Arbery's killers sentenced to life 2022-01-07|
- On Jan. 7, three white men who chased and murdered Ahmaud Arbery were sentenced to life in prison in a Georgia courthouse for the 25-year-old's murder in 2020. According to CNN.com, Travis McMichael, 35; his father, ...
|Trans woman killed at Indianapolis nightclub 2021-12-31|
- Ke'Yahonna Stone, a 32-year-old trans woman and community advocate, died after being shot in the parking lot of an Indianapolis nightclub, LGBTQ Nation reported. The shooting occurred early Dec. 26 outside the Epic Ultra Lounge. Stone ...
|Jury reaches verdict in Ghislaine Maxwell case 2021-12-29|
- On Dec. 29, jury found Ghislaine Maxwell guilty on five of six counts related to her role in Jeffrey Epstein's sexual abuse of minor girls between 1994 and 2004, CNN.com reported. The trial, which took place ...
|Judge orders release of report on handling of Smollett case 2021-12-20|
- On Dec. 20, Cook County Judge Michael Toomin authorized the release of a report exploring the way Cook County prosecutors and Chicago police handled the Jussie Smollett matter, The Chicago Tribune reported. The move came after ...
|USA Gymnastics, USOPC reach $380M settlement with abuse victims 2021-12-14|
- On Dec. 13, a federal bankruptcy court in Indianapolis confirmed a $380-million settlement between USA Gymnastics and the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee with hundreds of victims of former national team doctor Larry Nassar, among others, ...
|VIEWS Will Smollett's hoax affect public perception of hate crimes? 2021-12-13|
- Former Empire actor Jussie Smollett was recently found guilty on five of the six counts of felony disorderly conduct for concocting an elaborate racist and homophobic assault against himself. Each Class 4 felony count can land ...
|Smollett guilty on five counts 2021-12-09|
- After over nine hours of deliberation, a jury found actor Jussie Smollett guilty Dec. 9 of faking an anti-gay hate crime against himself in Streeterville on Jan. 2019, according to multiple reports. Smollett was guilty of ...
|Remembering Ciara Minaj Carter Frazier 2021-12-08|
Trans Omnibus Project - "And hold that pose for me." That's what Ciara Minaj Carter Frazier's family would hear in the middle of the night, as Ciara was up late voguing, said her sister Lunetta Frazier. "We definitely miss her, ...
|Remembering Tyianna Alexander 2021-12-08|
Trans Omnibus Project - Chicagoan Tyianna Alexander, also known as Davarea Alexander, was the first trans woman to die by murder in the city in 2021. She was 28. Alexander was shot to death the morning of Jan. 6 at the 800 block of West ...
|Remembering T.T. Saffore 2021-12-08|
Trans Omnibus Project - Jaliyah Armstrong can still remember how brightly T.T. Saffore smiled. "Silly T.T.," Armstrong called her. Saffore's "magic"—that jokester smile—would bring Armstrong solace regardless of what was going on around them. ...
|Remembering Paige Clay 2021-12-08|
Trans Omnibus Project - Paige Clay could turn anything into a runway. One time, she strutted up and down the middle of a street, feet sashaying on the yellow lines and cars driving past her in both directions. The wind ...
|Remembering Tiffany Gooden 2021-12-08|
Trans Omnibus Project - When Tiffany Gooden was killed in August 2012, she was only 19 years old. Almost a decade later, her murder remains unsolved—but there's more to her than the details of her death, according to her friends ...