||Appreciation Award Night
This article shared 2874 times since Thu Sep 1, 2005
Joe Ann Mack and Kayron will present their first annual appreciation night for the African American lesbian community Sunday, Sept. 4. The show will take place at the historical 'Chicago Legend's' ( previously called Mr. Ricky's ) , 2109 S. Wabash Ave., in Chicago.
After more than 20 years as a party promoter on the South Side of Chicago serving thousands of African American lesbians and attending numerous celebratory functions throughout the gay and lesbian community, Joe Ann Mack decided that it was time for 'the young folk in our community to know that this is not a fad but a lifestyle'. She says that 'the better clubs in the city do not welcome us or open their doors often for us to party, and we need to start realizing that the history for Black lesbians in this great city is rich and enduring'. Through the years she has managed to get a few club owners to embrace her. Originally she was at the 411 Club ( 1980s ) and also The New Edition ( '90 ) . Today Joe Ann is with Touch Bases 2, having parties every last Saturday of the month with Phyl Thomas ( an honoree ) at 1356 West 79th St.
With gratitude in mind she chose Kayron to help her promote the idea and bring it to life. 'I chose Kayron because of her endurance and supportive attitude. It does not matter to her if you attend her party at Club Escape, 1530 East 75th St., on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Saturday of the month, she supports everyone including those who are not lesbians but have parties for the lesbian community.
This article shared 2874 times since Thu Sep 1, 2005
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Chicago Red Stars open fan voting for end-of-season player awards 2022-10-24|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (Oct. 24, 2022)Beginning today, Chicago Red Stars fans can submit their votes for the club's 2022 Player Awards. Fans can visit www.chicagoredstars.com/awards to cast their vote for players in six categories: Rookie of the Year ...
|Taylor Swift drops new album 'Midnights' as well as special edition 2022-10-21|
- Taylor Swift has released her 10th studio album, Midnights, which she announced while accepting the trophy for Video of the Year at MTV's Video Music Awards in August, Pitchfork reported. In addition to the Lana Del ...
|Jeff Awards for Equity Theater presented 2022-10-18|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — In its 54th anniversary celebration of Equity theater excellence, the Jeff Awards recognized 46 award recipients selected from among 201 theater artist nominees across 38 artistic and technical categories on Oct. 17. Award-winning Chicago ...
|MOVIES Reeling Film Festival announces award recipients 2022-10-13|
- Reeling: The 40th Chicago LGBTQ+ International Film Festival announced the winners of the Best Narrative and Documentary Feature Jury and Audience Awards, recognizing artistic achievements in global LGBTQ+ independent ...
|Chicago voted 'Best Big City' for sixth straight year 2022-10-04|
- Choose Chicago President and CEO Lynn Osmond announced that Chicago has been named the "Best Big City in the U.S." for the sixth straight year by Conde Nast Traveler through their 2022 Readers' Choice Awards. The ...
|DoJ announces $22M to address, prevent sexual assault on campuses 2022-09-23|
- The U.S. Department of Justice (DoJ) announced nearly $22 million in upcoming grant awards to address and prevent sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence and stalking on college campuses; provide services to youth victims and children ...
|Mayor Lightfoot to present awards at Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame induction ceremony 2022-09-15|
-- From a press release - Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot is scheduled to present awards to 14 individuals and organizations being inducted into The Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame on Oct. 11, at 6 p.m, at The Chicago History Museum, 1601 N. ...
|'White Lotus,' Sheryl Lee Ralph among 2022 Emmy winners 2022-09-13|
- Unless they were among the cast, crew and staff of The White Lotus, members of the LGBTQ+ community were few and far between among the winners at the Television Academy's 2022 Emmy Awards, which were distributed ...
|Black Excellence Award nominations announced; gala on Nov. 14 2022-09-08|
-- From a press release - Chicago—The Board of Directors of the African American Arts Alliance (AAAA), and the Black Excellence Awards Committee announce the nominations for the 22nd Annual Black Excellence ...
|The Jeff Awards marks 54th anniversary with Equity Wing Award nominations 2022-08-23|
-- From a press release - August 23, 2022 — Chicago — Recognizing a strong return to the spotlight over the 2021-2022 Equity theater season, the Joseph Jefferson Awards announces its nominations for theater excellence. This year's nominees include 201 theater art ...
|NATIONAL Hospital attacked, trans murder, Alaska candidates, awards program 2022-08-20|
- Anti-LGBTQ far right extremists have targeted Boston Children's Hospital, threatening its employees and medical staff after lies and misinformation spread online recently about the healthcare facility's treatment of trans+ youth ...
|NBJC to hold James Baldwin Legacy Awards on Aug. 21 2022-08-19|
-- From a press release - On Sunday, Aug. 21—National Senior Citizens Day—at 2 p.m. CT, the National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC) will host the 2nd annual James Baldwin Legacy Awards to honor the invaluable contributions of Black men and masculine elders ...
|NYC Black Pride to mark 25th anniversary with events 2022-08-10|
- New York City Black Pride is returning this monthand celebrating its 25th anniversarywith a days-long slate of engaging events, including an awards ceremony, discussions and other activities, according to Gay ...
|'Ted Lasso,' 'Succession' lead Emmy noms; LGBTQ+s represented 2022-07-12|
- On July 12, the nominations for the 74th Emmy Awards were announced. Succession earned the most nominations of any show, earning a total of 25 nods, including one for outstanding drama, as well as outstanding lead ...
|PrideIndex's Esteem Awards return in person after two-year hiatus 2022-07-03|
- PrideIndex held its 15th annual Esteem Awards on July 2 at Sidetrack during Chicago's Black Pride holiday weekend. The non-profit Esteem Awards is, according to its website, "dedicated to promoting positive images of the African American/People ...