WINDY CITY TIMES
||Anita Hill speaker at CFW luncheon
This article shared 3072 times since Fri Sep 28, 2012
Anita Hill, the attorney and academic who famously stood up to workplace sexual harassment, was keynote speaker at the Sept. 27 Chicago Foundation for Women's luncheon, "Stand up and Speak Out," and entertained questions from the audience. The event took place at the Hilton Chicago.
Hill was thrust into the national spotlight in the 1990s when she testified against then-U.S. Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomas, saying that he sexually harassed her at work. She currently works at Brandeis University as senior advisor to the provost and professor of social policy, law and women's studies. Her latest book is Reimagining Equality: Stories of Gender, Race and Finding Home, in which she explores issues of gender and race and how they connect to issues of equality, sexual harassment and the current housing crisis. Photos by Hal Baim
This article shared 3072 times since Fri Sep 28, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Hastert settles sexual-abuse lawsuit 2021-09-16|
- Days before a trial was set to begin, former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert reached a tentative settlement in a hush-money lawsuit filed by a man whose decades-old sexual-abuse allegations led to the politician's downfall six ...
|Gov. Pritzker signs transformative energy legislation for Illinois 2021-09-15|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Delivering on principles previously laid out, Governor JB Pritzker signed landmark legislation into law that puts the state on a path toward 100% clean energy, invests in training a diverse workforce for the jobs ...
|Catholic theologians urge protections for LGBTQ+ people 2021-09-14|
- More than 750 of the nation's leading Catholic theologians, church leaders, scholars, educators and writers have joined New Ways Ministry in voicing support for nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ people, according to a New Ways press release. ...
|Men Having Babies surrogacy conference on Oct. 9 2021-09-13|
- The Men Having Babies 2021 Midwest Surrogacy Conference & Expo will take place Saturday, Oct. 9, 9 a.m.-7 p.m., at Center on Halsted, 3656 N. Halsted St. According to a press statement, more than 100 (vaccinated!) ...
|NATIONAL Teachers, GLAAD talks HRC, 9/11 items, Dr. Rachel Levine 2021-09-12|
- In North Carolina, a former teacher won a lawsuit against Charlotte Catholic High School and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte after he lost his job following an announcement on Facebook that he planned to marry ...
|WORLD False report, Indian activist dies, fashion exhibit, LGBT Awards 2021-09-12|
- In Spain, a man who claimed eight hooded men carved an anti-gay slur on his butt using a knife in a horrific hate crime later said the act was consensual, according to out.com. According to police ...
|Women & Children First hosting virtual event with Anita Hill on Sept. 29 2021-09-11|
- Anita Hillthe University Professor of Social Policy, Law, and Women's and Gender Studies at Brandeis University who played a major role in the 1991 Senate confirmation hearings for U.S. Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomaswill be part ...
|Chicago neighborhood nonprofits join forces to provide free attorneys 2021-09-07|
- Four Chicago neighborhood nonprofitsLCLC (Lawndale Christian Legal Center), Breakthrough, BUILD (Broader Urban Involvement & Leadership Development) and New Life Centershave formed a partnership to assign free ...
|One in ten LGBT workers experienced discrimination at work in the last year 2021-09-07|
- LGBT employees of color were more likely to report being denied jobs and verbal harassment A new study by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law finds an estimated 46% of LGBT workers have experienced ...
|Constand breaks silence about Bill Cosby 2021-09-07|
- Bill Cosby accuser Andrea Constand is breaking her silence to NBC News about the comic/actor's release from prison two months ago, Deadline noted. In a brief clip, Constand tells Kate Snow she "was really shocked ...
|Afghan LGBTQs in peril, with little help in sight 2021-09-06|
- Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of LGBT Afghan citizens, who dared to take modest steps toward living openly when their country was under the occupation and influence of a more tolerant "western culture," are now literally hiding in ...
|NATIONAL Calif. bill, lawsuits, Billy Porter, 'Southern LGBTQ Experiences' 2021-09-05|
- The California legislature okayed a bill that would launch a pilot program to better track the gender identity and sexual orientation of victims of fatal violence, Gay City News noted. Under AB 1094, or the Sexual ...
|WORLD Anti-TGNC vote, #VeryGayRaptor, Brazilian governor, Scottish poll 2021-09-05|
- In Australia, the government voted down workplace protections for transgender, non-binary and intersex people, OutInPerth.com reported. The senate was considering the Sex Discrimination and Fair Work (Respect at Work) Amendment ...
|Pappas reintroduces expanded SERVE Act to guarantee LGBTQ+ veterans VA benefits 2021-09-04|
--From a press release - Washington, D.C. - Today, Congressman Chris Pappas (NH-01), member of the House Veterans Affairs Committee and Co-Chair of the Equality Caucus, alongside Reps. Mike Levin (CA-49), Kathleen M. Rice (NY-04) ...
|Chicago pro-choice activists outraged by SCOTUS' refusal to overturn Texas abortion ban 2021-09-03|
--From a multi-organization press release - Calling it a blow to women and all abortion rights supporters nationwide, coalition calls for reversal of the Texas Law SB8, and demands "No Abortion Bans Anywhere: Not Now; Not Ever! Defend Roe!" Several Chicago groups ...