|Anita Alvarez holds Pride reception
This article shared 4114 times since Tue Jul 1, 2008
A group of host members held a Pride Reception at Sidetrack in support of Anita Alvarez ( in red in the picture above ) in the general election for Cook County state's attorney.
In February, Alvarez became the first woman and the first Latino to win the Democratic nomination for Cook County state's attorney. In November Alvarez is will run against Rep. Candidate Cook County Commissioner Tony Peraica.
Alvarez took time out from greeting supporters like Chicago Alderman Tom Tunney Metropolitan Water Reclamation Commissioner Debra Shore and Illinois State Representative Greg Harris to share her commitment to the LGBT community. 'I started in this office wanting to help people and that's pretty much why I stayed. As far as the LGBT community I've handled cases of domestic violence, sometimes I think people forget that is an issue as well in this community, and it is an issue. I've handled cases from this particular community and those cases need to have special attention, they need people to be sensitive to what those cases entail, the general public forgets that it's an issue.'
Debra Shore, commissioner of the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District, said, 'It will be groundbreaking to elect a qualified woman, minority woman at that for state's attorney. It's so important that she support our community.' Host Elizabeth Bautista added a different point of view, 'One of the things for me is that we get all of those perspectives, when she is elected to determine hate crimes and what direction we are going to take with those decisions. That's why it's important to support her right now and let her know that we are here. We are professionals and live everyday lives like every other Illinois citizen.'
Speaking about a possible historic Illinois win in the November Presidential election Alvarez said, 'It is very exciting, just the energy that that election has generated not just Barack [ Obama ] but also Hillary [ Clinton ] for Hillary running and going as far as she did. Particularly the younger voters, they got interested, got excited and energized I think that's good for all of us. I think coming from Illinois it's special. It's nice that we've been able to make that impact not just locally but nationally.'
Photos and text by Emmanuel Garcia
This article shared 4114 times since Tue Jul 1, 2008
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE
|Center on Halsted to host trans youth & family summit 2024-02-19
- Center on Halsted, 3656 N. Halsted St., has announced that its Trans Youth & Family Summit 2024 will take place March 16. This year marks the sixth annual event, which partners between Youth Services' Pride Youth ...
|Lakeside Pride Wilde Cabaret Valentine's Day Feb. 17 2024-02-16
--From a press release - Lakeside Pride Wilde Cabaret puts their own spin on Valentine's Day with a show celebrating things done and sacrificed for love - not just romantic love, but love for pets, friends, family and art. Join the ...
|GLAAD, NFL host third annual pre-Super Bowl event 'A Night of Pride' 2024-02-08
- On Feb. 7, LGBTQ+ media-advocacy organization GLAAD, along with The National Football League (NFL), hosted the third annual "A Night of Pride" at Caesar's Palace in Super Bowl LVIII's host city of Las Vegas, a press ...
|Chicago Fire FC announces 2024 theme nights; Pride Night will be June 1 2024-01-19
--From a press release - CHICAGO (Jan. 18, 2024) — Chicago Fire FC announced the club's theme nights for select home matches during the 2024 regular season, driven by Carvana. The Club's 2024 calendar features 11 theme nights, including the return ...
|WORLD Austria proposal, conferences, Pride marches, tennis player, Gay Games 2023-11-03
- In Austria, a historic proposal by the country's Ministry of Justice sees 33 million euros (approximately $35 million U.S.) set aside to compensate those who were persecuted or convicted of consensual same-sex actsalthough critics say th ...
|NHL reverses decision to ban Pride Tape, allowing players to show support for LGBTQ+s 2023-10-24
--From a press release - (New York, NY - October 24, 2023) Today the National Hockey League (NHL) reversed its decision to ban Pride Tape and other displays of support for LGBTQ people on the ice, stating: "After consultation with the ...
|THEATER Company of 'Wolves': Redtwist's Dusty Brown on gay Riding Hood retelling, Grindr, gender identity 2023-10-16
- It's all about Pride in 2023-24 at Redtwist Theatre. The 19th season for this North Side black-box theater includes three very different productions, starting with Wolves, called a "gory, gay reimagining of 'Little Red Riding Hood.'" ...
|NHL bans Pride Tape from hockey games and practices 2023-10-11
- The National Hockey League (NHL) has designated that athletes will no longer be able to show support to the LGBTQ+ community while playing, according to Out, which cited Outsports. The league has issued a ban of ...
|GAY HISTORY MONTH George Harris reflects on his late husband and Dallas activism 2023-10-10
- Special to Windy City Times. To mark Gay History Month, this article appears courtesy of Dallas Voice and the LGBT History Project. When George Harris and Jack Evans became the first couple to legally marry in ...
|Illinois colleges make list of most unsafe places for LGBTQ+ youth 2023-10-05
- Campus Pride has released its list of the worst places for LGBTQ+ youthand several Illinois colleges and universities are on it. According to a press release, "the Worst List identifies the 'absolute worst, most unsafe campuses ...
|GAY HISTORY MONTH Putting an end to the myths of Stonewall 2023-10-02
- Special to Windy City Times. In recognition of Gay History Month, this article appears courtesy of the LGBT History Project and Philadelphia Gay News. For years, people have debated what actually happened that night in June ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Sex Education' star, Rotten Tomatoes, Jessica Lange, Queer/Art 2023-09-08
Video below - Sex Education star Ncuti Gatwa officially came out during an interview with Elle UK, according to Out. "I remember being at Manchester Pride, going through the streets with all my boys, shaking my cha-chas, living it ...
|Brave Space Alliance holds Post Pride Mixer 2023-08-30
- On Aug. 27, Brave Space Alliance held its Post Pride Mixer at popular lesbian-owned bar Nobody's Darling. The social gathering celebrated past accomplishments while looking forward to new horizons for both the service organization and the ...
|UIC among nation's top 30 campuses for LGBTQ+ students 2023-08-25
--From a press release - The University of Illinois Chicago has been named one of the top 30 colleges and universities for LGBTQ+ students, according to Campus Pride, a national organization serving LGBTQ+ and ally student leaders and campus organizations in ...
|Orlando Pride crushes Chicago Red Stars 2023-08-21
- In Florida's Exploria Stadium on Aug. 20, the Orlando Pride thrashed the Chicago Red Stars 5-0 in professional women's soccer action, according to WFTV. Four players scored for Orlando, led ...