||Anita Alvarez holds Pride reception
This article shared 3909 times since Tue Jul 1, 2008
A group of host members held a Pride Reception at Sidetrack in support of Anita Alvarez ( in red in the picture above ) in the general election for Cook County state's attorney.
In February, Alvarez became the first woman and the first Latino to win the Democratic nomination for Cook County state's attorney. In November Alvarez is will run against Rep. Candidate Cook County Commissioner Tony Peraica.
Alvarez took time out from greeting supporters like Chicago Alderman Tom Tunney Metropolitan Water Reclamation Commissioner Debra Shore and Illinois State Representative Greg Harris to share her commitment to the LGBT community. 'I started in this office wanting to help people and that's pretty much why I stayed. As far as the LGBT community I've handled cases of domestic violence, sometimes I think people forget that is an issue as well in this community, and it is an issue. I've handled cases from this particular community and those cases need to have special attention, they need people to be sensitive to what those cases entail, the general public forgets that it's an issue.'
Debra Shore, commissioner of the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District, said, 'It will be groundbreaking to elect a qualified woman, minority woman at that for state's attorney. It's so important that she support our community.' Host Elizabeth Bautista added a different point of view, 'One of the things for me is that we get all of those perspectives, when she is elected to determine hate crimes and what direction we are going to take with those decisions. That's why it's important to support her right now and let her know that we are here. We are professionals and live everyday lives like every other Illinois citizen.'
Speaking about a possible historic Illinois win in the November Presidential election Alvarez said, 'It is very exciting, just the energy that that election has generated not just Barack [ Obama ] but also Hillary [ Clinton ] for Hillary running and going as far as she did. Particularly the younger voters, they got interested, got excited and energized I think that's good for all of us. I think coming from Illinois it's special. It's nice that we've been able to make that impact not just locally but nationally.'
Photos and text by Emmanuel Garcia
This article shared 3909 times since Tue Jul 1, 2008
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|MOVIES 'George Michael: Freedom Uncut' to be released June 22 2022-05-24|
- Sony Music Entertainment and Trafalgar Releasing will release the movie George Michael: Freedom Uncut as a global event on Wed., June 22and it's fitting that the documentary about the late gay singer will air during Pride ...
|Molson Coors to host Tap Into Change program kickoff at Roscoe's 2022-05-24|
-- From a press release - With Pride Month right around the corner, Molson Coors is celebrating the return of its Tap Into Change Program, a program in which proceeds of sales from Molson Coors products at select locations are donated to ...
|Chicago Red Stars to celebrate Pride Night on May 28 2022-05-24|
- The Chicago Red Stars will host their annual Pride Night Saturday, May 28, at SeatGeek Stadium when the club takes on the Portland Thorns. Leading up to the match, fans will have the opportunity to bid ...
|NIH LGBTQ+ webinar to be presented June 9 2022-05-23|
- On Thursday, June 9, 1-2:30 p.m. CT, the NIH Sexual & Gender Minority Research Office will host a special Pride edition of the Scientific Webinar Series to spotlight the recently released National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, ...
|Lakeside Pride to present 'Sweet Home Chicago" May 29, part of Pride Bands Alliance Conference 2022-05-23|
-- From a press release - On Sunday, May 29 at 7pm, Chicago's Auditorium Theatre will host the culmination of the 40th annual Pride Bands Alliance conference. Chicago's Lakeside Pride is welcoming Pride Bands Alliance members from its family of 38 affiliate ...
|'LGBTQ Rights on the Line: The Role of Communicators Advocating for Equality' event preview 2022-05-22|
-- From a press release - Celebrating, honoring and acknowledging Pride Month is more important this year than ever (and it should be celebrated all year, not just during one month). The expected Supreme Court ruling that will undermine the right to ...
|SHOWBIZ Broadway, JoJo Siwa, WEHO Pride, 'Jurassic World,' Madonna 2022-05-22|
- The Broadway League announced that all 41 Broadway theaters in New York City have extended the current mask requirement for audiences through at least June 30, Playbill noted. Charlotte St. Martin, president of The Broadway League, ...
|NATIONAL New York synod, Danica Roem, legal action, Pride news, PFLAG 2022-05-15|
- The Metropolitan New York Synod (MNYS), the regional body of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, announced Christopher Vergara as its newly elected vice president, according to a press release. Vergara is the first openly gay ...
|TV Writer Joel Kim Booster, director Andrew Ahn take a trip to 'Fire Island' 2022-05-15|
- Based on the classic Jane Austen book Pride and Prejudice, the new Fox Searchlight film Fire Island has an important story to tell LGBTQ+ audiences specifically. In that story, there are plenty of laughs along the ...
|Highwood Pride Fest taking place June 4 2022-05-12|
- The North Shore suburb of Highwood will hold its Pride Fest on Saturday, June 4. The full day of activities starts with a "Pride Rocks" family picnic at Everts Park at noon-3 p.m., followed by the (21+ ...
|FILM 'The Adventures of Priscilla' to show nationwide on June 2 2022-05-11|
- Iconic Events Releasing will kick off Pride Month with a special nationwide rerelease of MGM's classic 1994 Australian film The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. Screenings will take place in select theaters nationwide on ...
|Lakeside Pride to host 'Sweet Home Chicago' on May 29 [UPDATED] 2022-05-08|
- As part of the 40th annual Pride Bands Alliance Conference, Lakeside Pride will host "Sweet Home Chicago" on Sunday, May 29, at 7 p.m. at the Auditorium Theatre, 50 E. Ida B. Wells Dr. Chicago's Lakeside ...
|Shedd Aquarium hosting 'Pride Night' kickoff June 1 2022-05-07|
- Shedd Aquarium, 1200 S. DuSable Lake Shore Dr., is hosting Pride Night kickoff on Wed., June 1, 6-10 p.m. The event will feature DJs (Ariel Zetina and Mx. Toto), drag personalities (Hinkypunk, Kitty Banks and Tiki ...
|NATIONAL Campus Pride, HIV and the military, IVF suit, Billie Jean King 2022-05-01|
- Campus Pridealong with 36 other national/regional organizations such as GLSEN, PFLAG National and TransAthlete.comrequested that the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) incorporate non-binary students into ...
|Annual LGBTQ+ networking event 'Out of the Office' to take place June 1 2022-04-29|
- The annual LGBTQ+ networking event Out of the Office will take place Wed., June 1, 4:30-7 p.m., at The Godfrey Hotel Chicago's rooftop lounge, I|O, 127 W. Huron St., to kick off Pride Month. The event ...