WINDY CITY TIMES
||Andersonville/Wicker Park bakery fired employee after pay complaints
This article shared 653 times since Thu Apr 21, 2022
LGBTQ-owned Andersonville/Wicker Park bakery Lost Larson paid more than $2,000 last month to a former employee after the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) supported her claim that she was fired for joining colleagues to address workplace concerns, The Chicago Tribune reported.
Lucy Honoldwho worked at Lost Larson from November 2020 until being fired Aug. 2, 2021filed a charge with the NLRB last November. An NLRB investigation found merit to her claim. Honold told the Tribune that Lost Larson owner Bobby Schaffer fired her by email while she was on unpaid vacation last summer after she and other employees raised concerns about issues that included pay and COVID-19 safety.
In an email, Schaffer said, "It's our position that the company complied with the law and determined to enter into a settlement as the most expedient way to concentrate on the business."
Lost Larson was also required to post notices about the settlement at its two locations, in Andersonville and Wicker Park, and to email details to anyone who has worked at the bakery and cafe since Honold's firing.
Siblings and initial co-owners Bree and Bobby Schaffer identify, respectively, as lesbian and gay, Windy City Times noted in a 2020 profile of Lost Larson. Bree has since left, and is director of operations and programming at Guild Row, according to her LinkedIn profile.
The full article is at www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct-food-lost-larson-chicago-worker-backpay-20220421-y2ngdg4h6rcs3pzssuagqxe42q-story.html .
This article shared 653 times since Thu Apr 21, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
| Lightfoot's Women's Advisory Council releases report on economic impacts of COVID on Chicago women 2022-06-30|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO Today, Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot's Women's Advisory Council (WAC), in partnership with World Business Chicago, Women Employed, and Civic Consulting Alliance, published Creating a More Equitable Recovery: Addressing ...
|Gay-owned Galena inn receives honor from Tripadvisor 2022-06-29|
- Hawk Valley Retreat & Cottagesa gay-owned bed and breakfast in Galena, Illinoisannounced it has been recognized by Tripadvisor as a 2022 Travelers' Choice Best of the Best award winner for Bed and Breakfasts, ranking 13th out ...
|Equal Employment Opportunity Commission adds X gender marker to charge intake process 2022-06-28|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON — The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) announced today full implementation of the opportunity to select a nonbinary "X" gender marker during the intake process for filing a charge of discrimination. "By adding a ...
|Indiana Univ. establishes Kinsey-Kelley Center for Gender Equity in Business 2022-06-28|
- A new research center at Indiana University (IU) Bloomington will address issues of gender inequity, sexual misconduct and sexual harassment in the workplace, through an innovative partnership between the Kinsey Institute and the Kelley School of ...
|HRC report: Wage for LGBTQ+ women is 79 cents to the average man's dollar 2022-06-22|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON - Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation, the educational arm of the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, released new data outlining ...
|The Andersonville Village Market returns for summer 2022 2022-06-21|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (June 21, 2022) The Andersonville Chamber of Commerce (ACC) is pleased to welcome back its 2nd annual Andersonville Vintage Market, featuring antiques, home décor, jewelry, accessories, clothing, music and ...
|New report looks at LGBTQ+ restaurant workers and job risks they face 2022-06-15|
-- From a press release - Today, One Fair Wage, a national nonprofit representing tipped subminimum wage restaurant workers, released a new report on the harsh realities of being a LGBTQ+ restaurant worker. The report shows that the subminimum wage encourages rampant ...
|Venture capital firm 'Colorful Capital' launches with a focus on undervalued companies led by LGBTQ+ founders 2022-06-09|
-- From a press release - EVANSTON, IL — JUNE 8, 2022 — With LGBTQ+ founders receiving less than 1% of U.S. venture funding, Colorful Capital launched today with a mission of delivering capital and support to an undervalued community of business ...
|Molson Coors hosts return to Tap Into Change program 2022-06-09|
- Molson Coors recently marked the return of its Tap Into Change Programin which proceeds of sales from Molson Coors products at select locations are donated to local LGBTQ+ non-profit organizationsby hosting a kickoff event at the ...
|ELECTIONS 2022 Democratic Gubernatorial race: Gov. JB Pritzker talks record, future plans if re-elected 2022-06-05|
- Gov. JB Pritzker is running for re-election in the Democratic primary against challenger Beverly Miles. Prior to becoming governor, Pritzker spearheaded the creation of the non-profit business incubator 1871 and was the co-founder and managing partner ...
|WORLD Grindr ads, British mayor, Billie Jean King, Australian awards 2022-06-05|
- In Australia, a retail worker-turned-Greens politician credited catchy ads on gay hookup app Grindr for his stunning victory in Brisbane, The Daily Mail noted. Stephen Bates defeated Liberal-National Party incumbent Trevor Evans in the inner-city seat ...
|Pritzker, Stratton visit queer-owned businesses in Andersonville 2022-06-04|
-- From a press release - Chicago, IL Following visits to several queer-owned small businesses in Chicago's Andersonville neighborhood, Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker and Lt. Governor Juliana Stratton reaffirmed their commitment to Illinois' LGBTQ+ community ...
|HRC, Showtime launch third year of QUEER TO STAY, an LGBTQ+ small business initiative 2022-06-03|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, and SHOWTIME announced the third consecutive year of "QUEER ...
|20th OUT of the Office held at The Godfrey 2022-06-02|
- Andrew Hayes, founder and producer of OUT of the Office, rebounded with a fabulous 20th anniversary event after a two-year COVID-19-imposed hiatus. The June 1 celebration, at The Godfrey Hotel in River North, attracted more than ...
|U.S. Chamber of Commerce report: 72% of small biz willing to lose customers over pro-LGBTQ+ policies 2022-06-01|
-- From a press release - The U.S. Chamber of Commerce (https://www.uschamber.com/) has released its Special Report on Small Business and LGBTQ+ Inclusion, focusing on how the small business community has increased inclusivity initiatives, non-discrimination policies ...