WINDY CITY TIMES
||Analysis of Supreme Court marriage decisions Aug. 22
This article shared 2658 times since Wed Aug 14, 2013
"What the Supreme Court Rulings on DOMA and Prop 8 Mean for You" is the subject of a free event at the Center on Halsted Thursday. Aug. 22, 3656 N. Halsted St. The event is presented by James E. Elvord, first vice president-financial advisor with RBC Wealth Management and co-sponsored by Windy City Times and Center on Halsted.
The main speaker for the program will be Bill Ringham, vice president-senior wealth strategist for RBC Wealth Management. The law firm of Clark Hill PLC in Chicago will also present at the program, represented by Ray Koenig and Leslie Gutierrez, who are both attorneys at the firm. There is a reception with wine and cheese at 5:30 p.m., followed at 6:15 with the presentation and at 7:15 there will be a Q&A.
RSVP to James E. Elvord at 312-559-1738 or email@example.com .
This article shared 2658 times since Wed Aug 14, 2013
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|LGBTQ+ couple the first in South Asia to have marriage recognized 2023-11-30|
- Transgender woman Maya Gurung and Surendra Pandey became the first LGBTQ+ couple to have their marriage legally recognized in South Asia after they received a legal certificate in Nepal's Lamjung district on Nov. 29, The Guardian ...
|WORLD Thai marriage law, French bill, Miss Universe, IKEA, activist dies 2023-11-24|
- Thailand Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin said that the cabinet approved a draft law on marriage equality and that it would be brought to parliament during a session starting in December, Reuters reported. If the draft law ...
|Pope: Trans people can be baptized and act as godparents 2023-11-09|
- Pope Francis has stated that trans people may be baptized and act as godparents or witnesses to marriage under the same conditions as any other adult—as long as a scandal does not result, according to PinkNews. ...
|Jamaica court upholds sodomy law; activist ends fight in that country 2023-11-01|
- On Oct. 27, the Jamaica Supreme Court upheld the country's anti-sodomy law, claiming that only Parliament could repeal the statuteand the ruling has resulted in a longtime advocate/attorney ending his fight for LGBTQ+ rights in the ...
|Several dozen people arrested over 'gay wedding' in Nigeria 2023-10-25|
- Nigerian security personnel arrested more than 70 young people after accusing them of organizing a same-sex wedding, The South China Morning Post reported. Same-sex marriage is illegal in Nigeria under a 2014 law. Gombe, where the ...
|Community marks 10th anniversary of marriage-equality march 2023-10-24|
- Community members, activists and politicians gathered at Sidetrack Video Bar to mark the 10th anniversary of the 2013 March on Springfield for Marriage Equality Oct. 22. Celebrants also marked the passage of the marriage-equality bill (SB10), ...
|Celebrating March on Springfield for Marriage Equality's 10th anniversary Oct. 22 2023-10-20|
--From a press release - Advocates will mark 10 years since the March on Springfield for Marriage Equality on Sunday, Oct. 22, 2023 at Sidetrack bar, 3349 N. Halsted, Chicago, from 1-3 p.m. There will be speakers and memorabilia and posters ...
|Plaques honoring MLB's Burke and marriage-equality added to Legacy Walk 2023-10-20|
- On the afternoon of Oct. 14, the Legacy Walk dedicated two new plaques, acknowledging both a prominent gay sports figure and the celebration for a historic milestone for Illinois. This year's additions honored gay Major League ...
|India's supreme court declines to recognize marriage equality 2023-10-17|
- India's top court, led by Chief Justice Dhananjaya Y. Chandrachud, declined to grant legal recognition to same-sex marriages, saying it is beyond its scope and should be decided by parliament, The Guardian reported. However, the court ...
|Legacy Project to host Legacy Walk Outdoor LGBTQ+ History Museum Phase XI dedication Oct. 14 2023-10-05|
--From a press release - On Oct. 14, 2023 the Legacy Project will host the 11th Anniversary Dedication of Chicago's Legacy Walk Outdoor LGBTQ History Museum. This year's inductees include The Road to Marriage Equality: The Supreme Court Decision that Rocked ...
|COMMENTARY Pope Francis permits blessings of same-gender couples on a case-by-case basis 2023-10-04|
- Pope Francis affirms the spiritual value of blessings of same gender couples in Church sanctioned ceremonies on a case-by-case basis when judged pastorally appropriate. In a letter, released by the Vatican on Oct. 2, Francis states ...
|GLAAD responds to Pope Francis' statement allowing blessing for same-sex couples 2023-10-02|
--From a press release - (Monday, October 2, 2023) GLAAD, the world's largest l LGBTQ media advocacy organization, is responding to Pope Francis' groundbreaking statement allowing blessings on same-sex unions. According to New Ways Ministry ...
|Support group for LGBT widows and widowers unites members in grief 2023-09-30|
- In May of 2016, C. Russell Bond of Wilmette founded a Meetup.com monthly support group for LGBT widows and widowers. The group's most recent September meeting happened to fall one day after an anniversary date with ...
|In D.C., Black LGBTQ+ lawmakers protest Nigerian wedding arrests 2023-09-14|
- On Sept. 12, Black LGBTQ+ lawmakersled by Maryland state Del. Gabriel Acevero and D.C. Councilmember Zachary Parker, and alongside the National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC) and other advocacy groupsprotested outside ...
|WORLD Couple's win, attack in Beirut, German military, gay ski week 2023-09-08|
- In Strasbourg, France, the European Court of Human Rights ruled that Bulgaria violated the rights of a same-sex couple (Darina Koilova and Lili Babulkova) by not recognizing their marriage abroad, RFE/RL reported. Rights groups lauded the ...