WINDY CITY TIMES
||Amigas Latinas' Lucky 13
by Mel Ferrand
This article shared 5691 times since Wed Sep 10, 2008
La Cocina de Frida, 5403 N. Clark, was all aglow on Aug. 30 when the restaurant was transformed into a dance club for Amigas Latinas' 13th-anniversary dance. Latin beats and laughter poured out into the otherwise quiet street causing more than one passerby to stop in their tracks and peer into the window. If they looked long and carefully enough, they realized what they were seeing was a dance floor filled with women whirling, twirling, and laughing.
Started as a social and support group, Amigas Latinas has grown into an organization with a full board and the short-term plan to hire its first full-time staff. However, while staying true to its roots, Amigas also offers an annual scholarship to young Latinas either entering or currently enrolled in college. This year there were two recipients: Janeida Rivera and N. M., the latter who identifies herself as a queer Latina Jew. Both women have quite impressive portfolios.
As a high-school student at Pedro Albizu Campos H.S., Rivera confronted the collective at the Puerto Rican Cultural Center ( PRCC ) bringing to light that LGBTQ issues were not being addressed directly. In addition, Rivera founded Ambiente del Paseo a group that is part of the PRCC. N. M. is a pre-med student at the University of Chicago and is active with Queer & Associates, the student organization sponsored by the Office of Multi-Cultural Student Affairs.
Photos by Mel Ferrand
This article shared 5691 times since Wed Sep 10, 2008
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Passages: Longtime activist Achebe (Betty) Powell passes away 2023-02-23|
- Veteran social justice organizer and educator Achebe (Betty) Powell passed away Feb. 21, according to multiple reports. Powell died of COVID-19 related complications at New York Presbyterian Hospital in Brooklyn, according to a Feb. 22 statement ...
|Elections 2023: Vicko Alvarez, 15th Ward candidate, wants to take on Chicago's 'machine politics' 2023-02-15|
- Vicko Alvarez is a self-identified socialist running for aldermanic office in the 15th Ward. The 34-year-old is the daughter of Mexican immigrants and has been a resident since she moved to Chicago in 2006 to attend ...
|Life Is Work, Brave Space Alliance to distribute Grubhub gift cards 2022-12-21|
- Life Is Work (LIW)—a Black and Brown trans-led social services and advocacy organization on Chicago's West Side—is collaborating with community partner and South Side trans- and Black-led organization Brave Space ...
|Report released on online hate and gender-affirming providers 2022-12-16|
- The Human Rights Campaign Foundation (HRC Foundation) has released "Online Harassment, Offline Violence: Unchecked Harassment of Gender-Affirming Care Providers and Children's Hospitals on Social Media, and its Offline Violent Consequences." ...
|Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame and Imperial Court Holiday Social 2022-12-08|
From a press release - Charlie's Chicago, 3726 N. Broadway, Chicago 60613, will hold a Holiday Social for the Imperial Windy City Court of the Prairie State Empire as a fundraiser for the Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame on Friday, Dec. ...
|WORLD Gay governor, Tokyo partnership policy, Daniel Radcliffe, Korean first 2022-11-06|
- On Oct. 30, the first openly gay governor of Brazil was re-elected in a runoff election, The Washington Blade noted. Rio Grande do Sul Gov. Eduardo Leite, a member of the centrist Brazilian Social Democracy Party, ...
|Black Public Media launches gender affirming doc series during LGBT History Month 2022-10-12|
-- From a press release - NEW YORK (October 5, 2022) Black Public Media (BPM) is going beyond the gender binary and weighing in on the pronoun debate with a short film series part of its latest BE HEARD! social ...
|WORLD Malta PM, Kenya official, Kharkiv Pride, sex-education campaign 2022-09-18|
- Malta Prime Minister Robert Abela has promised reforms for the country's LGBTQ+ community, including free gender-affirming surgery for trans people, according to PinkNews. In an interview with ONE Radio, he said, "I believe that social reform ...
|Queen Elizabeth II dies in Scotland at age 96 2022-09-08|
- The Queen died peacefully on the afternoon of Sept. 8, the Royal Family announced on its social media accounts. Elizabeth ascended to the throne in 1952, on the death of her father, King George VI. She ...
|WORLD India ruling, Hong Kong dismissal, fatal attack, Mr. Gay Europe 2022-09-04|
- In India, a Supreme Court ruling affirmed that same-sex couples and other non-traditional families are entitled to social benefitsa decision that stands in stark contrast to recent moves by Singapore to exclude LGBTQ+ people from the ...
|Latonya Maley named executive director of Affinity 2022-08-21|
- The board of directors of Affinity Community Servicesa Black- and queer-led organization on Chicago's South Side dedicated to social justice in Black LGBTQ+ communitieshas named Latonya Maley (she/they) as the ...
|Bailey's running mate's anti-LGBTQ posts unearthed 2022-08-18|
- Stephanie TrussellRepublican Darren Bailey's running mate for Illinois governor/lieutenant governorhas made controversial posts (including ones against the LGBTQ+ community) on social media, WGN-TV reported. "Stick your ...
|LGBTQ+-inclusive 'All that Glows' running through Oct. 1 2022-07-29|
-- From a press release - Weinberg/Newton Gallery, a non-commercial gallery dedicated to promoting social- justice causes, is partnering with the American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois to present All that Glows in the Dark of Democracy, July 29 — Oct. 1 ...
|Chappelle show canceled after social-media pushback 2022-07-21|
- On July 20, Dave Chappelle's stand-up show at a Minneapolis club was canceled just hours before the controversial comedian was set to perform, Variety reported. First Avenuethe iconic venue that provided the setting for Prince's Purple ...
|GLAAD releases 2022 Social Media Safety Index 2022-07-14|
- GLAAD has released its 2022 Social Media Safety Index (SMSI). The SMSI provides recommendations for the industry at large and reports on LGBTQ user safety across the five major social media platforms: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube ...
|WORLD Venezuela code, Oxfam, Bosnia items, 'Brokeback,' Pope Francis|
|NATIONAL 'Don't Say Gay,' anti-trans bills, gay Irish leader visits, gay Calif. mayor|
|SHOWBIZ 'Joy Ride,' Cynthia Erivo, David Bowie, March Madness, Kevin Bacon|
|Biden appoints Laura Ricketts to Council on Sports, Fitness & Nutrition|
|ALA: 2022 saw record demand of censorship of library books|