||Alma Dance Company's soulful benefit
by Steve Starr
This article shared 5671 times since Mon Sep 1, 2008
There was a particular air of beauty that filled the Instituto Cervantes, 31 W. Ohio, July 24 when the Alma Dance Company held its 'Summer Soul' benefit. It was an event filled with charming, elegant women and handsome men who, along with the stylish Alma artistic directors Guillermo Leyva and Suzanne Lek, added to the ambience of the beautiful rooms displaying artwork donated by the Moka Gallery.
MJ Catering and Events served fabulous delights donated by Zocalo and La Scarola restaurants with wine donated by Osborne Solas and tequila donated by Tres Generaciones. Guests perused the numerous silent-auction items, which included a sunset sailing cruise on Lake Michigan by Seabreeze Charters and a jersey signed by the Chicago Cubs' Carlos Zambrano.
After a short while, everyone was ushered into the beautiful red-and-black theatre with highly varnished gray oak floors, where we sat in plush seats. The mistress of ceremonies—the lovely and vivacious Telemundo News anchor Leda Santodomingo—introduced a video of excerpts from Alma's elaborate, gorgeous production, 'Frankenstein Ballet,' with original music by Cuban composer Yovannis Roque.
Alma's next production will feature Grande Pas De Deux and short classical pieces at the North Shore Center For The Arts, Skokie, Oct. 17 and 18; for information phone 847-784-8842. For more information about Alma Dance Company, see www.almadance.org .
Photos by Steve Starr
This article shared 5671 times since Mon Sep 1, 2008
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Out at CHM: Panelists discuss HIV/AIDS' continued impact on dance community 2022-06-25|
- The Chicago History Museum (CHM) hosted a June 23 panel with doctors and dancers who shared their experiences with the HIV/AIDS epidemic as well as ideas for continuing to address the disease today. Following the discussion, ...
|Chicago Dance Crash celebrates 20th anniversary with 'Booms Day' 2022-06-24|
- Chicago Dance Crash's signature blend of concert and street dance styles paints a colorful picture of life, strife and relationship goals after the end of the world with Booms Day, a two-act, world premiere dance production ...
|DANCE Chicago's Joffrey Ballet releasing Pride video filmed in NYC 2022-06-20|
- The Joffrey Ballet and Action Linesa video-production company founded by Joffrey artists Xavier Nunez and Dylan Gutierrez as well as writer/producer Eric Granthave unveiled a video filmed at the FDR Four Freedoms State Park (on New ...
|PERFORMANCE 'Moonset Sunrise' at Navy Pier on June 16 and 18 2022-06-15|
- Collaboraction announced that Moonset Sunrise, its 25th-anniversary production, with live performances on June 16 and 18 at 7:30 p.m. at Beat Kitchen's new Bar Sol on Navy Pier, 700 E. Grand Ave. Through healing ritual, storytelling, ...
|Ukraine's Kyiv City Ballet makes first Chicago appearance, opening Auditorium Theatre 2022-23 season 2022-06-15|
-- From a press release - (CHICAGO, IL) Chicago's landmark Auditorium Theatre (50 E. Ida B. Wells Dr.) announced its 2022-23 performance season highlighted by its most expansive global dance series ever, including the first-ever Chicago ...
|Out at CHM's 'Dancing for Life' to take place June 23 2022-06-10|
- The Chicago History Museum, 1601 N. Clark St., is continuing its Out at CHM series with "Dancing for Life: Moving through HIV/AIDS" on Thursday, June 23, 5:30-8:30 p.m. In honor of Chicago designating 2022 as the ...
|DANCE Cerqua Rivera's 'Mood Swing' on May 28 2022-05-25|
- On Saturday, May 28, Cerqua Rivera Dance Theatre will host "Inside/Out with Mood Swing" at 7:30 p.m. at Dovetail Studios, 2853 W. Montrose Ave. Mood Swing is described as Cerqua Rivera's "suite of passionate responses to ...
|Dance for Life returns to Auditorium 2022-05-12|
-- From a press release - Chicago Dancers United (CDU), which supports the health and wellness of Chicago's professional dance community, announces the program for its 31st annual fundraiser, Dance for Life 2022, which takes place Saturday, August 13 at 6 p.m. ...
|Giordano Dance Chicago to showcase modern works June 11 2022-05-05|
- The Auditorium Theatre, 50 E. Ida B. Wells Dr., completes its Made in Chicago 2021-22 Dance Series with the return of Giordano Dance Chicago (GDC) performing its annual summer engagement on Saturday, June 11, at 7:30 ...
|MUSIC Madonna curating, releasing dance-music compilation 'Finally Enough Love' 2022-05-04|
- Madonna made history once again when she topped the Dance Club Songs chart for the 50th time, making her the first and only recording artist to have 50 number-one hits on any Billboard chart. To celebrate ...
|DANCE A&A Ballet to offer Family Dance Series starting May 14 2022-05-02|
- A&A Ballet (A&A), under the artistic direction of Alexei Kremnev and Anna Reznik, announced a new Family Dance Series at the Athenaeum Theater, 2936 N. Southport Ave., premiering Saturday, May 14, at 3 p.m. Fresh from ...
|Hubbard Street Dance Chicago's 'RE/UNION' to take place May 12-15 2022-04-27|
- After reconnecting with audiences this spring at the Museum of Contemporary Art, Hubbard Street Dance Chicago (HSDC) has announced the program for the company's return to the Harris Theater for Music and Dance, 205 E. Randolph ...
|Dance Divas return to Baton July 31 and Aug. 1 2022-04-27|
-- From a press release - Showcasing Chicago dancers in a night of music, dance, and laughter, Chicago Dancers United presents Dance Divas 2022, a party and performance Sunday, July 31 at 6 p.m. and Monday, Aug. 1, at 7 and 9 p.m. at the Baton Show Lounge ...
|DANCE 'Wired,' focusing on barbed wire, to premiere at MCA on May 5-8 2022-04-14|
- The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago (MCA) will showcase the world premiere of Wired on May 5-8. Internationally recognized disability arts ensemble Kinetic Light will return to the stage to premiere its latest work. The work ...
|MUSIC Gay composer's historic 'Emancipation' at Harris Theater on April 29 2022-04-11|
- The Joan W. and Irving B. Harris Theater for Music and Dance will present Emancipation, by gay composer Adrian Dunn, with The Adrian Dunn Singers and Rize Orchestra on the Mainstage on Friday, April 29, at ...