||Alliance of Illinois Judges elects new officers
This article shared 3199 times since Thu Jun 21, 2012
The Alliance of Illinois Judges, a group of LGBT judges in the state, held their annual meeting and installation of officers June 20 at the Chicago Bar Association. Colleen Sheehan was re-elected president of the organization, and Chief Judge Timothy Evans presided over the swearing-in ceremony.
Windy City Times Publisher Tracy Baim was the 2012 honorary chairperson of the event.
Pictured is Evans with the newly installed officers, from left: Hon. Stuart Katz, treasurer; Hon. Jamie Shapiro, board member; Hon. Pat Logue, board member; Hon. Colleen Sheehan, president; Chief Judge Timothy Evans; Hon. Sebastian Patti, secretary; and Hon. Tom Chiola (Ret.), board member. Not pictured: Vice President Hon. Lori Wolfson and board member Hon. Jim Snyder.
Also pictured: Sheehan and Evans with Baim.
Also pictured: Judge Chiola, Illinois Supreme Court Justice Anne Burke, Baim and Judge Nancy Katz.
Photos by Hal Baim
This article shared 3199 times since Thu Jun 21, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Lawsuit filed regarding trans exclusion for health benefits
- Lambda Legal and Sirianni Youtz Spoonemore Hamburger PLLC filed a federal lawsuit challenging Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois' (BCBSIL's) administration of a blanket exclusion of gender-affirming care in an ...
|NATIONAL Conversion therapy, LGBTQ deaths, Pantene, Ralph Lauren 2020-11-23|
- A federal appeals court overturned a lower court ruling and struck down local ordinances prohibiting licensed therapists from practicing the debunked "conversion therapy" on minors, out.com reported. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit ...
|WORLD European Union, groundbreaking case, Caster Semenya 2020-11-23|
- The European Union announced its first strategy to protect the rights of LGBTQ+ people, out.com noted. Many saw the development as a response to the rising anti-LGBTQ+ hate and rhetoric in Poland and Hungary. The new ...
|11th Circuit Court rules on conversion therapy protections, groups respond 2020-11-20|
--From a press release - ATLANTA, GA — Today, in a split decision, a three-judge panel of the Eleventh Circuit issued a decision today striking down local laws in Boca Raton and Palm Beach County, Florida protecting minors from undergoing conversion ...
|GLAAD: 81% of LGBTQs voted for Biden
- GLAAD released the findings of its 2020 Post-election Poll of LGBTQ registered voters. The findings included a phenomenal turnout of the LGBTQ vote, a surge of first-time LGBTQ voters, an overwhelming vote for President-elect Joe Biden, ...
|Lopez's office vandalized again
- A brick was thrown through the front window of Chicago Ald. Raymond Lopez's Southwest Side office Nov. 19—the fourth instance of vandalism targeting his properties this year (including three times in July), The Chicago Sun-Times reported. ...
|Lambda Legal files diversity-based suit against Trump executive order
- On Nov. 16, Lambda Legal urged a federal district court to bar the Trump administration from implementing its recent executive order that prohibits federal contractors and grantees from conducting workplace diversity trainings or engaging in grant-funded ...
|Hate crimes rise to highest level in a decade
- The FBI revealed that hate-crime reports in the United States surged in 2019 to the highest level since 2008, CNN.com reported. The new figures indicate that hate crimes reported to the FBI by law enforcement agencies ...
|National Black Justice Coalition welcomes new directors 2020-11-16|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC This week, the National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC) announced two new senior level hires, Victoria Kirby York, MPA, and Dr. Kia Darling-Hammond. Their leadership and experience will ...
|NATIONAL Political news, gay adoptive father, judges, Houston bar 2020-11-16|
- Adrian Tam, a 28-year-old gay Asian American son of immigrants, defeated a leader of the Hawaii chapter of the Proud Boys, a far-right extremist group, to become the only openly LGBTQ person in Hawaii's legislature, NBC ...
|WORLD Trans deaths, China census, Rob Halford, Hungary measure 2020-11-16|
- Globally, at least 350 transgender people have been killed this year (2020)a figure that has risen since last year's total of 331, Forbes noted. The annual list, released for Transgender Day of Remembrance (Nov. 20) by ...
|Civil rights, LGBT groups challenge extreme punishment of gay man for texts 2020-11-12|
--From a press release - NEW YORK, NY On Nov. 9, 2020, the Center for HIV Law and Policy (CHLP) filed an amicus brief with the Supreme Court of Virginia in support of Galen Baughman, a young gay man at ...
|Healthcare for tens of millions, including LGBT elders, at stake in Supreme Court hearing 2020-11-10|
--From a SAGE press release - Today, the Supreme Court hears yet another case challenging the Affordable Care Act (ACA). This challenge takes up whether eliminating the penalty for not having health insurance makes the individual ...
|Number of COVID-19 cases among Cook County Circuit Court employees updated 2020-11-09|
- The Office of the Chief Judge has announced that four employees and two judges have tested positive for COVID-19. One judge works at the Leighton Criminal Courthouse, while the other judge works in the Cook County ...
|NATIONAL Stonewall march, lawsuits, electoral items 2020-11-09|
- A peaceful "We Choose Freedom" march that started at the Stonewall Inn descended into violence as police arrested marchers for a second consecutive night on Nov. 5, out.com reported. Multiple videos of the scuffles with police ...