WINDY CITY TIMES
||Adler Planetarium showcases work of Frank Kameny
This article shared 2595 times since Tue Dec 1, 2020
Adler Planetarium, The Kameny Papers and Google Arts & Culture have created and made available the Frank Kameny/Pride exhibition, an online graphic slide show, viewable at Google Arts & Culture.
Thirteen slides document Kameny's life and work. The show goes on to focus on other prominent LGBTQ scientists including physicist Dr. JJ Eldridge, trans lesbian astrobiologist Theresa Fisher and astrophysicist Dr. Nergis Mavalvala.
Kameny (1925—2011) was among the most important gay-rights activists of the last 100 years. In 1957, he was fired as an astronomer in the U.S. Army's Army Map Service because of his sexuality. He fought for decades against not just his own firing, but on behalf of many others who lost their jobs and careers. Kameny appealed his firingthe first known civil-rights claim based on sexual orientation in a U.S. court.
The gallery concludes with a statement. "The Adler is committed to uplifting the voices of people like Theresa Fisher, JJ Eldridge, Nergis Mavalvala, Frank Kameny, and many more. As a community of LGBTQ+ folks and allies, we celebrate pride every day and work together to make justice and inclusion a reality in science and space exploration. We want to hear from you! Help us amplify our partnerships with the LGBTQ+ community by telling us a little about yourself in our questionnaire: Exploring Infinite Identities. All are welcome to participate. There's more than enough room for hundreds of billions of starsand all of usin our vast and colorful universe."
The questionnaire is available at www.google.com/url .
The gallery is viewable at
This article shared 2595 times since Tue Dec 1, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|MCA announces new curatorial leadership 2021-11-18|
- The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago (MCA) announces the appointments of two new leaders to its curatorial teamRene Morales, as the James W. Alsdorf Chief Curator; and Jamillah James, as Manilow Senior Curator. Morales and James ...
|Veterans Day event features Col. Pritzker, Kinzinger and Duckworth 2021-11-12|
- On Veterans Day, Nov. 11, the Pritzker Military Museum & Library (PMML), 104 S. Michigan Ave., hosted a free Veteran's Day program that was livestreamed live via YouTube. Transgender Col. (IL) Jennifer Pritzker, IL ARNG (Retired ...
|MCA to showcase Justin Vivian Bond on Oct. 30 2021-10-25|
- On Saturday, Oct. 30, at 3 p.m., The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, 220 E. Chicago Ave., will present "Music Talk: Justin Vivian Bond and Jim Hodges," featuring singer-songwriter, author, painter, performance artist and actor Mx. ...
|lllinois Holocaust Museum hosts talk on Stonewall and the LGBTQ-rights movement 2021-10-24|
- On Oct. 17, Skokie's Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center hosted a "Legacy of Stonewall and the LGBTQ Rights Movement" panel discussion to kick off its latest exhibit, "Rise Up: Stonewall and the LGBTQ Rights Movement." ...
|LGBT History Month: Staten Island museum throws open Austen's closet door 2021-10-22|
- It's been a long time coming, but officials at the Alice Austen House on New York's Staten Island have thrown open the closet door, now fully embracing the lesbian pioneer and photographer who lived in the ...
|Pandemic Pivot: Museum launches major digital exhibit for LGBT History Month 2021-10-05|
- "In Plain Sight' offers website visitors a digital timeline of LGBT achievements including 800 entries across 10 categories Visitors to the Stonewall National Museum and Archives (SNMA) in Fort Lauderdale, one of the largest LGBT lending ...
|Pritzker Military Museum, Library to screen TransMilitary doc, Q&A with special guests 2021-09-28|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL (September 27, 2021) On Thursday, Sept. 30, at 5:30 p.m., the Pritzker Military Museum & Library will host the screening of the 2018 SXSW Audience Award Winner for Best Documentary TransMilitary. The program will ...
|THEATER REVIEW The Golden Girls: The Lost Episodes, Volume 5-SEX! 2021-09-24|
- Title: The Golden Girls: The Lost Episodes, Volume 5—SEX! Playwright: David Cerda At: Hell In a Handbag Productions at the Leather Archives and Museum. Tickets: $27-$45. Runs through: HandbagProductions.org It could almost be the premise for ...
|Art Institute workers forming union 2021-09-22|
- With backing for a majority of employees, organizers at the Art Institute of Chicago announced they are asking the museum to voluntarily recognize the first labor union at the cultural institution, The Chicago Tribune reported. The ...
|Illinois Holocaust Museum to show LGBTQ+ exhibit starting Oct. 17 2021-09-03|
- Starting Oct. 17, Skokie's Illinois Holocaust Museum & Education Center will host the exhibit "Rise Up: Stonewall and the LGBTQ Rights Movement," which explores the June 1969 police raid of the Stonewall Inn as the flashpoint ...
|MCA names Laura Herrera Senior Director of Communications and Content 2021-08-26|
--From a press release - Madeleine Grynsztejn, Pritzker Director of the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, announces the appointment of Laura Herrera as Senior Director of Communications and Content, a newly created position that advances ...
|ART 'Frida Kahlo: Timeless' extended to Sept. 12 2021-08-26|
- "Frida Kahlo: Timeless," hosted by the Cleve Carney Museum of Art (CCMA) and the McAninch Arts Center (MAC) at the College of DuPage (COD), has been extended an additional week to Sept. 12. To date, "Timeless" ...
|ART College of DuPage to showcase Tony Fitzpatrick's final exhibition 2021-08-17|
- The Cleve Carney Museum of Art (CCMA), at 425 Fawell Blvd. on the College of DuPage campus, will open its season with "Tony Fitzpatrick: Jesus of Western Avenue." This will be the final museum exhibition by ...
|Filmmakers debut Latinx-centered pandemic documentary 2021-08-06|
- Community members gathered at Chicago History Museum (CHM) July 22 for the debut of the locally produced documentary Seguimos Aqui: Pride, Pandemic and Perseverance as well as a conversation with that film's primary collaborators. Seguimos Aqu ...
|Donnelley Foundation announces 'Broadening Narratives' grant recipients 2021-07-27|
- The Chicago-based Gaylord and Dorothy Donnelley Foundation (the Foundation)which supports land conservation, artistic vitality and regional collections for the people of the Chicago region and the Lowcountry of South Carolinaannounces ...