WINDY CITY TIMES
||Activists upset that Ald. Burke wants to add police to hate-crime law
From a press release
This article shared 938 times since Fri Jun 10, 2016
Alderman Edward M. Burke has introduced an ordinance to expand Chicago's hate crime ordinance to include any offense against police officers or firefighters. "It is the goal of this ordinance to give prosecutors and judges every tool to punish those who interfere with, or threaten or physically assault, our public safety personnel," Ald. Burke said in a news release yesterday.
Ted Pearson, Co-Chairperson of the Chicago Alliance Against Racist and Political Repression ( CAARPR ), blasted the proposed ordinance. "This is an attempt to intimidate the movement for community control of the police by suggesting that protests against police crimes are hate crimes."
It's potentially intimidating, Pearson said, because people who protest police crimes could be charged under this law. "This is adding insult to injury to those who are outraged when the police murder an unarmed person and protest," he added. He cited the 2012 murder by police of Jamaal Moore, 23, who was unarmed. Scores of people from the neighborhood at Garfield Blvd and Ashland Ave. angrily protested the murder, and several were arrested. "Would people in such circumstances now be charged with a hate crime against the police under this new law?"
The CAARPR has proposed legislation to the City Council creating al all-elected Civilian Police Accountability Council ( CPAC ), and has organized tens of thousands of supports of this proposal in communities throughout the city. The coalition supporting CPAC will demonstrate outside the City Council the morning of June 22, 2016, the day Mayor Rahm Emanuel is scheduled to introduce his "police reform" ordinance.
Frank Chapman, Field Organizer of the CAARPR, declared, "The people can see through the meaningless smoke and mirrors game being played by the Mayor. People in the communities that live under a virtual police state are demanding real community control. We are demanding passage of CPAC!"
This article shared 938 times since Fri Jun 10, 2016
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Stephen Amell, 'Outlander' star to be at Wizard World Chicago 2021-09-17|
- Stephen Amell, known to millions as the crime-fighting vigilante lead in the hit TV series Arrow, will return to Wizard World Chicago on Saturday, Oct. 16. Amellwho also starred in DC Universe vehicles such as DC's ...
|WORLD False report, Indian activist dies, fashion exhibit, LGBT Awards 2021-09-12|
- In Spain, a man who claimed eight hooded men carved an anti-gay slur on his butt using a knife in a horrific hate crime later said the act was consensual, according to out.com. According to police ...
|WORLD Trapped in Afghanistan, lesbian pioneer, anti-gay crimes, Valencia's bid 2021-08-22|
- Among the Americans trapped in the suburban areas of Kabul, Afghanistan, under Taliban control was Josie Thomas, 32, a transgender government contractor for the U.S. State Department and former U.S. Air Force Sergeant, The Washington Blade ...
|NATIONAL Biden nominees, San Diego crime, HRC, Fox News contributor 2021-08-08|
- President Joe Biden reappointed out lesbian Rabbi Sharon Kleinbaum as a commissioner of the US Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF), which is an advisory post pertaining to issues of religious freedom, Gay City News reported. ...
|Wis. man attacks trans couple but won't be charged with a hate crime 2021-08-04|
- In Wisconsin, a La Crosse official said incomplete state laws prevented them from charging a man with a hate crime after he attacked a transgender couple in a public park, according to Wisconsin Public Radio. La ...
|Analysis of hate crime laws finds limitations, opportunities, rising hate violence 2021-07-28|
--From a Movement Advancement Project, National Center for Lesbian Rights press release - With a rise in hate violence across the country, a new report from the Movement Advancement Project (MAP) and 16 leading civil rights organizations provides a groundbreaking analysis of state and federal hate crime laws. The ...
|WORLD Anti-LGBTQ crimes, conversion therapy, out prime minister, Pakistan school 2021-07-11|
- In England, police are treating the painting of a homophobic slur on an LGBTQ Pride mural as a hate crime, the BBC reported. The wall in St Helens, Merseyside, which was painted by volunteers and artists ...
|NATIONAL Panic defense, VP Kamala Harris, Black LGBTQ app, crime items 2021-06-13|
- Four states and the nation's capital have taken action to ban the so-called LGBTQ "panic defense," which is a legal strategy used by defendants to cite a victim's sexual orientation or gender identity as an excuse ...
|Employee fired for using gay slur at Indiana Arby's 2021-06-12|
- An employee at an Arby's restaurant in Lafayette, Indiana, was fired after writing a homophobic slur on the receipt of a gay couple, NBC News reported. Craig Gray and John Burns were dining at the restaurant ...
|When crime goes viral 2021-06-10|
- Activists say Illinois's law that makes it illegal to expose others to HIV is racist and homophobic. Now they're close to changing it.
In early 2016, Jimmy Amutavi had what he considered a happy life. More ...
|Incarceration for HIV crimes in Georgia cost the state $9 million 2021-06-02|
--From a press release - Between 1999-2020, as many as 133 people were incarcerated in Georgia prisons for HIV-related crimes New analysis from the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law finds that as many as 133 people have been incarcerated ...
|WORLD Myanmar activist, Cyprus official, brutal crimes, UK youth 2021-05-23|
- In Myanmar, Equality Myanmar Executive Director Aung Myo Min broke another barrier, becoming the first LGBTQ person to become sworn in as a member of cabinet after being appointed by the National Unity Government as its ...
|President Biden signs historic hate crimes bill into law 2021-05-20|
- WASHINGTON — Wade Henderson, interim president and CEO of The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, released the following statement after President Biden signed into law the COVID-19 Hate Crimes Act, which included the Khalid ...
|Refugee Coalition of East Africa calls for attention to anti-queer violence 2021-05-07|
--From a press release - On May 17, the International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia will be observed worldwide, followed by many celebrations of Pride in the month of June. We at the Refugee Coalition of East Africa will raise ...
|The National Black Justice Coalition mourns death of Mikayla Miller 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - MASSACHUSETTS — The National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC) mourns the loss of Mikayla Miller, a Black 16-year-old girl and member of the LGBTQ+ community. Miller was found dead on April 18th in Hopkinton, Massachusetts one day ...