WINDY CITY TIMES
||Activist Ja'Mal Green is latest candidate for Chicago mayor
This article shared 1308 times since Tue Jun 14, 2022
On June 14, Chicago activist Ja'Mal Green will run to unseat Mayor Lori Lightfoot, The Chicago Tribune reported.
"On every side, I feel that I understand the issues more than a lot of the other candidates, and we need a mayor to do that so we can change the tide on what's going on in our city," Green, 26, told the publication.
Green's previous run for mayor in 2019 failed after he withdrew from the ballot amid a challenge to his signatures from businessman Willie Wilson.
Other challengers to Lightfoot so far include South Side Ald. Roderick Sawyer, son of a former mayor; former Chicago Public School CEO Paul Vallas; media owner DJ Doran; Illinois state Rep. Kam Buckner; Southwest Side Ald. Raymond Lopez; and Wilson, who is running for the third time.
This article shared 1308 times since Tue Jun 14, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Quigley commends progress in FDA LGBTQI+ blood donation draft guidance 2023-01-27|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Today, U.S. Representative Mike Quigley (IL-05), Vice-Chair of the Congressional Equality Caucus, released the following statement commending long-awaited updates to the FDA's blood donation guidance for LGBTQI+ ...
|Equality Illinois responds to violence, murder of Black and Brown trans people on the south side 2023-01-25|
--From a press release - Statement by Myles Brady Davis, Director of Communications at Equality Illinois, the state's civil rights organization for LGBTQ+ people, regarding the violences and murders of Black and Brown trans people on the south side of Chicago: ...
|NATIONAL Calif. bills, DeSantis, HIV vaccine, Meta, college items 2023-01-22|
- Buried within the bills California legislators filed after Gov. Gavin Newsom released his budget proposal for the 2023-2024 fiscal year is a line seeking to retrieve $13 million back from the state's Transgender Wellness and Equity ...
|WORLD Dutch vote, landmark ruling, French teen, UK items 2023-01-22|
- Dutch senators voted 56-15 in favor of including an explicit ban on discrimination on the grounds of disability or sexual orientation in the constitution, DutchNews.nl reported. This development clears the way for the constitution to be ...
|Early voting in downtown Chicago to start Thursday, January 26 2023-01-17|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL — Early voting in Downtown Chicago for the February 28, 2023 Municipal Election will start at two vote centers — the Voter Supersite at 191 N. Clark and Board Offices at 69 W. Washington, ...
|NATIONAL Asylum-seekers, equality updates, cannabis, HIV and COVID 2023-01-15|
- Advocacy groups that specifically work with LGBTQI+ asylum-seekers and migrants criticized the Biden administration's expansion of the use of "expedited removal" of Cubans, Nicaraguans, Haitians and Venezuelans who enter the ...
|Illinois General Assembly passes legislation to protect reproductive and gender-affirming healthcare, leaders respond 2023-01-11|
--From a news release - From Equality Illinois Statement from Equality Illinois Deputy Director Mony Ruiz-Velasco on passage by the Illinois General Assembly of essential legislation to protect patients, providers, and families seeking and providing ...
|NATIONAL Democrats and trans issues, political wins, gay bars, HIV drug 2023-01-08|
- Republicans and Democrats differ widely in their views on gender identity and transgender issuesbut there are notable differences among Democrats, too, especially by race and ethnicity, according to Pew Research. Overall, 60% of U.S. adults say ...
|26th Ward alderman withdraws from race; LGBTQ+ candidate still in it 2023-01-07|
- The Chicago Board of Elections confirmed that 26th Ward Ald. Roberto Maldonado has withdrawn from the race, The Chicago Tribune reported. After 13 years, there will be another person representing the ward—which includes Humboldt Park and ...
|Brave Space Alliance to Illinois General Assembly: Don't back down on trans protections 2023-01-04|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO, IL - January 4, 2023 - Brave Space Alliance (BSA), the South Side LGBTQ+ Center, has been made aware of active discussions to exclude protections for trans people and gender-affirming care from pending legislation that ...
|NATIONAL Indiana's 'Don't Say Gay,' drag show, Citi, new LGBTQ+ terms 2022-12-31|
- GOP lawmakers in Indiana have said that a proposal to restrict discussions of sexual orientation and gender identity in schools—modeled after Florida's "Don't Say Gay" bill—will be drafted in the new year, according to INTO. The ...
|LGBTQ+ police officer remembered as 'wonder woman' 2022-12-30|
- On Dec. 29, the friends and loved ones of LGBTQ+ Bradley Police Sgt. Marlene Rittmanic gathered at the Comfort Inn in Bourbonnais to mark the one-year anniversary of her passing, ABC 7 Chicago reported. The hotel ...
|Gay GOP congressman admits to lying about background 2022-12-28|
- Long Island Rep.-elect George Santos—a newly elected gay GOP U.S. congressman who defeated an openly gay Democrat in November—told The New York Post that he lied on the campaign trail about his education and work experience, the publication ...
|2022: Gains made against a backdrop of attacks 2022-12-27|
- There was no shortage of dramatic and consequential events to consider as the top stories for the LGBTQ+ community in 2022, and most of those events threaten to spill over into 2023: the Supreme Court's interest ...
|NATIONAL Office vandalized, George Santos, HRC official dies at 24, law students 2022-12-24|
- Protestors vandalized an openly gay New York City Council member's office and entered his apartment building, The Advocate reported. Erik Bottcher—whose district includes Greenwich Village, Chelse and Hell's Kitchen, among ...