WINDY CITY TIMES
||ART McAninch Arts Center announces 'Warhol Public Pop Art Challenge'
This article shared 1984 times since Thu Oct 13, 2022
Following the success of the summer 2021 exhibition, "Frida Kahlo: Timeless," the Cleve Carney Museum of Art (CCMA) and the McAninch Arts Center (MAC) at the College of DuPage (COD) will present "Warhol: Featuring Andy Warhol Portfolios: A Life in Pop/Works from the Bank of America" June 3-Sept. 10, 2023.
In advance of the exhibition opening, CCMA and the MAC announced a new public art project, "The College of DuPage Warhol Public Pop Art Challenge: 15 Minutes of Fame."
Organizations throughout DuPage County participating in the public art project will select four notable members of their community, whether it be a celebrity, a teacher, a local hero, or anyone making a positive impact on the community. Their headshots will then be transformed into a colorful Warhol-styled mural to be displayed in highly visible locations throughout the community, such as an exterior wall or window.
This mural exhibition project is sponsored by the College of DuPage Public Arts Project, an initiative hosted by the COD and McAninch Arts Center as part of its mission to partner with communities in DuPage County to complete public art installations and community-art projects.
The exhibition will encompass both the CCMA and the MAC, unfolding across roughly 11,000 square-feet of exhibition space. Educational and interactive elements will include a biographical exhibition highlighting key points in Warhol's life and career, video installation, interactive mural, children's print factory area, Studio 54 and Silver Cloud Room experiences and Central Park-inspired outdoor café, creating an immersive, multifaceted exhibition focused on the life and work of one of the most influential artists of the past century.
Tickets are available at Warhol2023.org or 630-942-4000.
This article shared 1984 times since Thu Oct 13, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|GLAAD marks World AIDS Day with launch of global resource hub, new HIV report 2023-12-01|
--From a press release - New York, New York — Friday, Dec. 1 — GLAAD marked World AIDS Day this year by sharing the results of its fourth annual State of HIV Stigma Report, a national survey among U.S. adults measuring ...
|Wrightwood 659 to present 'Daniel Goldstein: The Marks We Leave Behind' on World AIDS Day 2023-11-29|
- (CHICAGO, Nov. 29, 2023) Alphawood Exhibitions will present Daniel Goldstein: The Marks We Leave Behind, an exhibition of works from the San Francisco-based artist & HIV/AIDS activist's iconic "Icarian Series," ...
|'Jersey Boys' stars reunite as Midtown Men on Dec. 2 in Glen Ellyn 2023-11-14|
- The original stars of the Broadway hit Jersey BoysChristian Hoff, Michael Longoria, Daniel Reichard and J. Robert Spencerwill reunite as Midtown Men on Saturday, Dec. 2, at 7:30 p.m. at McAninch Arts Center's Belushi Performance Hall ...
|Black Excellence Awards winners named, inaugural Chicago Black Arts Hall of Fame inductees honored 2023-11-08|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (Nov. 7, 2023)—The nonprofit Black Arts & Culture Alliance of Chicago is proud to announce the winners of its 23rd Annual Black Excellence Awards, honored last night in a festive celebration at Black Ensemble Theater. ...
|PASSAGES Avid ceramicist Don Heggemann remembered for 'dedicated,' lively presence 2023-11-03|
- Ceramics instructor Dubhe Carreño first met Don Heggemann when he took her Saturday general ceramics class at Northeastern Illinois University in 2010. He took every one of her classes after that. Heggemann eventually joined the staff ...
|Chicago Gay Men's Chorus celebrates 40 years of holiday music in 'The Big 4-0, ho, ho' 2023-11-01|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, November 1, 2023 — Chicago Gay Men's Chorus celebrates its 40th Anniversary with The Big 4-0, ho, ho!, a celebration of CGMC's holiday favorites over the last 40 years. Featuring festive arrangements from current Artistic ...
|Sean Fader memorializes LGBTQ+ history with Insufficient Memory 2023-10-24|
- One of artist Sean Fader's recent projects project may be named Insufficient Memory, but his crucial work in memorializing LGBTQ+ history will hopefully never fade over time. In 2018, FaderA New York City and New Orleans-based ...
|Broadway's Andy Mientus lugs his Jug-Band to Chicago for the holidays 2023-10-24|
- Prepare to reconnect with your inner child through puppetry this holiday season with Jim Henson's Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas. Puppets will play onstage Nov. 15-Dec. 31 at the historic Fine Arts Building, 410 South Michigan Ave., ...
|Black Excellence Awards taking place Nov. 6, will feature avery r. young 2023-10-17|
- The Black Arts & Culture Alliance will present the 23rd Annual Black Excellence Awards on Monday, Nov. 6, at 7 p.m. at the Black Ensemble Theater, 4450 N. Clark St. Hosted by Melissa Duprey, this year's ...
|Art Institute to show 'Picasso: Drawing from Life' starting Nov. 11 2023-10-11|
- The Art Institute of Chicago announced that "Picasso: Drawing from Life" will be on view from Nov. 11, 2023 through April 8, 2024. This year marks 50 years since the death of Spanish artist Pablo Picasso ...
|Mexican Museum presents Queer Fiesta 2023-09-27|
- In celebration of National Latino Month and Mexican Independence Day, the National Museum of Mexican Art presented Noche De Musas II and Queer Fiestas Patrias on Sept. 23. The event, which spotlighted female, queer and non-binary ...
|Chicago musician, producer and DJ Don Crescendo killed in Avondale stabbing 2023-09-20|
- Chicago's LGBTQ+ nightlife community and allies have rallied around the family and close friends of local longtime musician, producer and DJ Rodney Donovan Taylor, a.k.a. Don Crescendo, in the wake of his death by stabbing last ...
|19th annual Andersonville Arts Weekend Sept. 29 - Oct. 1 2023-09-20|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (September 18, 2023) The Andersonville Chamber of Commerce (ACC) is pleased to welcome back its 19tn annual Andersonville Arts Weekend, with the neighborhood transformed into a "walkable art gallery" ...
|National Museum of Puerto Rican Arts Raices Gala hosts Lin-Manuel Miranda, Ricky Martin 2023-09-15|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, Illinois (September 15, 2023) — The National Museum of Puerto Rican Arts & Culture released photos and video from its 10th Raices Gala, where Lin-Manuel Miranda bestowed the National Ceiba Award on international superstar ...
|THEATER Jim Henson production in Chicago on Nov. 14-Dec. 31 2023-09-12|
- A live theatrical adaptation of Jim Henson's Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas is making its Chicago debut Nov. 14-Dec. 31, at the Studebaker Theater at the historic Fine Arts Building, 410 S. Michigan Ave., Broadway World revealed. ...