WINDY CITY TIMES
||ART 'Frida Kahlo: Timeless' June 5-Sept. 6 in Glen Ellyn
This article shared 1776 times since Fri May 7, 2021
The Cleve Carney Museum of Art (CCMA) and the McAninch Arts Center (MAC) at the College of DuPage (COD) will host "Frida Kahlo: Timeless" June 5-Sept. 6 in Glen Ellyn, Illinois.
Featuring 26 original works on loan from the Museo Dolores Olmedo, it is considered the most comprehensive presentation of Kahlo's work displayed in the Chicago area in more than 40 years.
The exhibition also includes a multimedia timeline with replicas of notable objects from Kahlo's life, including Kahlo's childhood bed and orthotic braces created by Chicago-based artists Daniel Sullivan and Betsy Odom; more than 100 photographic images from the artist's life; a Frida Kahlo-inspired garden designed by Ball Horticultural Company; and a children's area featuring a model replica of Frida's Casa Azul in Coyoacan, Mexico, designed by Wight & Co.
The exhibition and related programming is organized by "Frida Kahlo: Timeless" Executive Director Diana Martinez (director of the MAC) in collaboration with CCMA curator Justin Witte.
For tickets or more information, visit frida2021.org or AtTheMAC.org, or call 630-942-4000.
This article shared 1776 times since Fri May 7, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Queer Chicago rapper Psalm One to perform this weekend at Glenwood Avenue Arts Fest 2022-08-17|
- Psalm Onea queer rapper from Chicagowill take the stage at the annual Glenwood Avenue Arts Fest on Friday, Aug. 19, at 8:15 p.m. "I'm really, really excited to perform," she told Windy City Times. "I'm nervous, ...
|ART MdW fair taking place Sept. 9-11 at Mana Contemporary 2022-08-17|
- MdWan artist-run art fair founded a decade agois returning in 2022 with a renewed mission to convene alternative artist platforms in Chicago from across the Midwest. The all-ages, free event will take place Sept. 9-11 at ...
|MCA to show 'Forecast Form: Art in the Caribbean Diaspora, 1990s to Today' 2022-08-14|
- The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago will run "Forecast Form: Art in the Caribbean Diaspora, 1990s—Today," organized by Marilyn and Larry Fields Curator Carla Acevedo-Yates, on Nov. 19, 2022-April 23, 2023. According to a press release, ...
|THEATER Red Summer, connecting the 1919 Chicago race riots to present-day Chicago, is Sept. 16-25 2022-08-14|
-- From a press release - University Park, IL—Governors State University's Center for Performing Arts announces the world premiere of Red Summer written by Lookingglass Theatre's Andrew White and MPAACT's Shepsu Aakhu, composed by Shawn Wallace ...
|StoryStudio Chicago's LGBTQ+ nonfiction writing class starting Aug. 17 2022-08-11|
- StoryStudio Chicago is offering a unique writing class titled "June Is Not Enough: An LGBTQ+ Nonfiction Writing Class." The idea behind the class is to promote and foster the work of LGBTQ+ people. Writers who register ...
|Haven Chicago presenting first-ever Festival Au Cinema on Aug. 26-28 2022-08-09|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (August 8, 2022) — Haven Chicago is pleased to present its first annual Festival au Cinéma, the company's new platform for visionary and innovative filmmakers and media artists staking their claim in the future of ...
|Kinsey Institute exhibiting iconic Tom Fox HIV/AIDS photo series 2022-08-05|
- An exhibition of 60 iconic photographs documenting Indiana University alumnus Tom Fox's battle with AIDS in the late 1980s will hang in the Grand Hall of Maxwell Hall on the Indiana University-Bloomington campus. "Wild Horse Running: ...
|ART Wrightwood 659 to show 'The First Homosexuals,' 'Michiko Itatani' 2022-08-04|
- The Lincoln Park space Wrightwood 659, 659 W. Wrightwood Ave., will show two exhibits"The First Homosexuals: Global Depictions of a New Identity, 1869-1930" and "Michiko Itatani: Celestial Stage"on Fridays and ...
|THEATER 'Cabaret' coming to Metropolis Arts on Sept. 15 2022-08-02|
- Musical Broadway classic and hit film Cabaret re-creates the decadent and complicated world of 1929 Berlin at the Arlington Heights venue Metropolis Performing Arts Centre on Sept. 15-Oct. 22. Cabaret is Kander and Ebb's legendary musical ...
|Chalk Howard Street outdoors for the first time since 2019 on Aug. 27 2022-08-01|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO, IL (Aug. 1, 2022)—Chicago's only chalk art festival, Chalk Howard Street, announced its entertainment programming and vendors list, as it makes a full return outdoor and in person for the first time since 2019. National ...
|LGBTQ+-inclusive 'All that Glows' running through Oct. 1 2022-07-29|
-- From a press release - Weinberg/Newton Gallery, a non-commercial gallery dedicated to promoting social- justice causes, is partnering with the American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois to present All that Glows in the Dark of Democracy, July 29 — Oct. 1 ...
|21st annual Glenwood Avenue Arts Fest taking place Aug. 19-21 2022-07-27|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (July 26, 2022)The popular Glenwood Avenue Arts Fest (GAAF) announces complete music lineup for the three-day festival, headlined by Chicago rapper Psalm One, Rock n Roll band from New ...
|Trans artist to showcase woodworking on Aug. 13 2022-07-27|
- Trans artist J. Emmett (he/they), of J. Emmett Studios, will open his private studio for the first time to show his custom woodworking, along with works from local ceramicist Krista Tyner (she/her), of TynerWorks. The "A ...
|MCA Chicago announces Chicago Performs, which focuses on contemporary, POC and queer artists 2022-07-27|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO— The Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA) Chicago, with the support of Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), and Choose Chicago, announced the ...
|Queer teen artist/activist talks Girl Scout Gold Award, LGBTQ+ inclusion, future plans 2022-07-23|
- When Molly Kasch became a Brownie at age 8, she never dreamed she would earn the prestigious Girl Scout Gold Award 10 years later for her "Scouting the Rainbow" project. The award "is the highest achievement ...