WINDY CITY TIMES
||ART 'Frida Kahlo: Timeless' June 5-Sept. 6 in Glen Ellyn
This article shared 2069 times since Fri May 7, 2021
The Cleve Carney Museum of Art (CCMA) and the McAninch Arts Center (MAC) at the College of DuPage (COD) will host "Frida Kahlo: Timeless" June 5-Sept. 6 in Glen Ellyn, Illinois.
Featuring 26 original works on loan from the Museo Dolores Olmedo, it is considered the most comprehensive presentation of Kahlo's work displayed in the Chicago area in more than 40 years.
The exhibition also includes a multimedia timeline with replicas of notable objects from Kahlo's life, including Kahlo's childhood bed and orthotic braces created by Chicago-based artists Daniel Sullivan and Betsy Odom; more than 100 photographic images from the artist's life; a Frida Kahlo-inspired garden designed by Ball Horticultural Company; and a children's area featuring a model replica of Frida's Casa Azul in Coyoacan, Mexico, designed by Wight & Co.
The exhibition and related programming is organized by "Frida Kahlo: Timeless" Executive Director Diana Martinez (director of the MAC) in collaboration with CCMA curator Justin Witte.
For tickets or more information, visit frida2021.org or AtTheMAC.org, or call 630-942-4000.
This article shared 2069 times since Fri May 7, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|THEATER REVIEW Andy Warhol in Iran juggles art, celebrity and geopolitics 2023-02-01|
- Andy Warhol in Iran. Playwright: Brent Askari At: Northlight Theatre at North Shore Center for the Performing Arts, 9501 Skokie Blvd., Skokie Tickets: 847-673-6300 or www.Northlight.org; $30-$89. Runs through Feb. 19 The prolific 20th century gay ...
|Windy City Gay Chorus, Windy City Treble Quire begin search for artistic directors 2023-01-17|
--From a press release - The Board of Directors for Windy City Performing Arts has started their search for two Artistic Directors for the organization's choruses. Applications are now being accepted in hopes to fill these positions prior to the 2023-2024 season. ...
|Black LGBTQ+ film festival among Chicago NEA grant recipients 2023-01-11|
- The Black Alphabet Film Festivalthe world's oldest Black LGBTQ+-focused event of its kindwas part of the first round of grant recipients from the National Endowment of the Arts (NEA), receiving $20,000. In a press release, Black ...
|The First Homosexuals extended at Wrightwood 659 by popular demand 2023-01-01|
-- From a press release - (CHICAGO, IL — Dec. 1, 2022) It was announced today that the crowd-pleasing pair of exhibitions currently selling out at Wrightwood 659 will extend into the new year, now closing Saturday, January 28, 2023. The two ...
| Chicago Fire FC wins first-ever Midwest Emmy Award 2022-12-07|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (Dec. 6, 2022) — Chicago Fire FC has been awarded the Club's first ever Regional Emmy Award in the category of "Outstanding Crafts Achievement for Graphics Arts/Motion Graphics/ Art Direction/Set Design" as a part of ...
|SHOWBIZ Elton John, Leslie Jordan, Joel Kim Booster, Janelle Monae 2022-11-27|
- Elton John gave Los Angeles concluded a three-show run on Nov. 20 back inside Dodger Stadium, taking a final bow as part of his "Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour," according to The Hollywood Reporter. The concert ...
|Gay man to head Chicago Latino Theater Alliance 2022-11-15|
- The Chicago Latino Theater Alliance (CLATA) announced the appointment of Jorge Valdivia as its new executive director, according to the Lawndale News. Valdivia's previous position was director of performing arts at the National Museum of Mexic ...
|School of the Art Institute auction on Nov. 1-14, auction party on Nov. 11 2022-11-01|
- The School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) is inviting all art collectors and enthusiasts to an online auction taking place Nov. 1-14 on Artsy.net, where a diverse group of SAIC alums and faculty will ...
|Queer Art announces 2023 Queer Art Mentorship Fellow 2022-11-01|
-- From a press release - Queer|Art, NYC's home for the creative and professional development of LGBTQ+ artists, is pleased to announce the new Fellows for the 2023 Queer|Art|Mentorship (QAM) program cycle. The Mentorship program is ...
|Chicago mural of Kanye West painted over in wake of antisemitic remarks 2022-10-27|
- A West Loop mural image of Ye, the artist formerly known as Kanye West, was painted over on Oct. 27, as fallout continued over the Chicago native's recent controversial and antisemitic public statements, The Chicago-Sun Times ...
|'Cirque Dreams Holidaze' to take place Dec. 22-24 2022-10-26|
- Cirque Dreams Holidaze is set to dazzle Chicago audiences with a Broadway-style production infused with contemporary circus arts. The production will play for six performances on Dec. 22-24 at the Auditorium Theatre, 50 Ida B. Wells ...
|Ginsburg, Morrison, women's soccer to be honored with stamps 2022-10-26|
- The U.S. Postal Service announced that the late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg and the late author Toni Morrison (Beloved; The Bluest Eye) will be honored with new postage stamps next year. The sport of ...
|Chicago Artists Coalition announces departure of executive director 2022-10-18|
- Chicago Artists Coalition (CAC) announced that Teresa Silva, CAC's executive and artistic director, will leave the organization on Wed., Oct. 26. CAC Board Chair J. Gibran Villalobos will serve as interim executive director during the executiv ...
|ART McAninch Arts Center announces 'Warhol Public Pop Art Challenge' 2022-10-13|
- Following the success of the summer 2021 exhibition, "Frida Kahlo: Timeless," the Cleve Carney Museum of Art (CCMA) and the McAninch Arts Center (MAC) at the College of DuPage (COD) will present "Warhol: Featuring Andy Warhol ...
|MOVIES 'Beyond Ed Buck' to kick off Black Alphabet Film Festival on Nov. 5 2022-10-13|
- Black Alphabeta nonprofit committed to promoting equity awareness on behalf of the Black LGBTQ+ community through the use of media and the artsannounced the 9th Annual Black Alphabet Film Festival (BAFF) will kick off with the ...