This article shared 3282 times since Thu Dec 1, 2005
The AIDS Pastoral Care Network ( APCN ) honored several individuals at its annual Tree of Life Awards breakfast that took place Nov. 10 at the School of the Art Institute Ballroom.
The Tree of Life Award recognizes the work and dedication of people and organizations who have assisted in uniting Chicago's various communities in the fight against HIV/AIDS.
This year's honorees included Rev. Clay Evans, who received the Tree of Life Award; Waver Franklin, who received the James Corrigan Award for Volunteer Service; Joann Montes, who was honored with the Mike Savage Spirit Award; and Hospira, Inc., recipient of the Corporate Leadership Award.
NBC anchor Don Lemon served as host of the event.
APCN, which was founded in 1985, works from various faith-related and cultural perspectives with HIV-infected people and their loved ones. The agency is actually part of Access Community Health Network, the country's largest network of federally qualified health centers.
PICTURED: APCN Director Rev. Betsy Ritzman, from left; Jason Hodges, accepting Corporate Leadership Award on behalf of Hospira Inc.; James Corrigan Awardee Waver Franklin; Michael Savage Spirit Awardee Joann Montes; ACCESS CEO Donna Thompson; Gayle Claudette Pye, accepting Tree of Life Award on behalf of her father, the Rev. Clay Evans and NBC Anchor Don Lemon ( event MC ) pose for a photo during the AIDS Pastoral Care Network's recent annual 'Tree of Life' breakfast.
This article shared 3282 times since Thu Dec 1, 2005
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Personal PAC holds virtual annual awards luncheon 2021-10-25|
- Sen. Rev. Raphael Warnock was the keynote speaker at Personal PAC's 28th annual awards luncheon Oct. 20. The event was held virtually due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Personal PAC's vision, according to its website, is ...
|3Arts awards nearly $1M to women artists, artists of color, Deaf, disabled artists 2021-10-18|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL (OCTOBER 18, 2021)—3Arts, the Chicago-based nonprofit grantmaking organization, will award Chicago artists with nearly $1 million in unrestricted cash grants during the 14th annual 3Arts Awards, taking place ...
|HHS awards $2.21B in FY2021 for HIV care, support services, medication 2021-10-05|
--From a press release - The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), announced approximately $2.21 billion in Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program funding for cities, counties, states, and local community-based organizations in fiscal year ...
|THEATER 'Moulin Rouge!,' gay play 'The Inheritance' win top Tonys 2021-09-27|
- Moulin Rouge! The Musical was the runaway winner at the Tony Awards on Sept. 26, snagging 10 awards. Among its honors were Best Musical, Best Performance By an Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical ...
|Mayor Lightfoot to present awards at Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame induction ceremony 2021-09-21|
- The Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame, celebrating its 30th year, announced today that it will hold a scaled-back version of its annual induction ceremony for 2021 inductees on Wednesday Oct. 6, at 5:30-8 p.m. The event ...
|Few LGBTQ nods from the Emmys even as RuPaul makes TV history 2021-09-21|
- Netflix's The Crown and Apple TV+'s Ted Lasso were among the big winners as the Television Academy presented its 2021 Emmy Awards on Sept. 19 in Los Angeles. While the Academy had drawn praise for the ...
|HHS awards $48M to health centers to expand HIV prevention, treatment 2021-09-16|
- On Sept. 16, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), through the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), awarded more than $48 million to 271 HRSA-supported health centers across 26 states, Puerto Rico and ...
|Students urged to apply for Musical Theatre Awards 2021-09-14|
- Broadway in Chicago is inviting high schools across Illinois to participate in the 11th Annual Illinois High School Musical Theatre Awards. These awards celebrate excellence in high school theater throughout the state. Beginning Thursday, Sept. 16, ...
|TELEVISION 'Drag Race,' 'Queer Eye,' 'Pose' among Creative Emmy winners 2021-09-13|
- Three 2021 Creative Arts Emmy Awards ceremonies took place Sept. 11-12—and Netflix's The Queen's Gambit led the way with nine wins going into next weekend's Primetime Emmys, Deadline reported. LGBTQ+ individuals and shows also scored se ...
|MUSIC Lil Nas X wins top award at MTV VMAs 2021-09-13|
- The MTV VMA Awards took place Sept. 12and an LGBTQ+ artist took home one of the night's top awards. Lil Nas X won Video of the Year for "Montero (Call Me By Your Name)," besting Cardi ...
|WORLD False report, Indian activist dies, fashion exhibit, LGBT Awards 2021-09-12|
- In Spain, a man who claimed eight hooded men carved an anti-gay slur on his butt using a knife in a horrific hate crime later said the act was consensual, according to out.com. According to police ...
|Hacks, I May Destroy You, Pose rule LGBTQ Critics' Dorian TV Awards 2021-08-30|
--From a press release - AUGUST 29, 2021—HOLLYWOOD, CA—Venerable actress Jean Smart; Saturday Night Live wit Bowen Yang; rising satirist Ziwe; Pose co-creator Steven Canals; teen heartthrob Michael Cimino, of Hulu's Love, Victor; and revered ...
|Nat'l Black Justice Coalition, James Baldwin Legacy Awards honor Black elders 2021-08-21|
--From a press release - On Saturday, August 21, 2021, at 12:00pm ET, the National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC) and AARP, will host a virtual celebration entitled the James Baldwin Legacy Awards in honor of the invaluable contributions of Black men ...
|Chicago Filmmakers awards $100,000 to local social injustice digital media projects 2021-07-20|
--From a press release - (July 20, 2021 — Chicago, IL) Chicago Filmmakers is pleased to announce that the Chicago Digital Media Production Fund (CDMPF) has awarded a total of $100,000 in grants to eight Chicago artists for the production of ...
|U.S. Sen. Warnock to headline Personal PAC's annual luncheon 2021-07-19|
--From a press release - U.S. Sen. Raphael Warnock (D-Georgia) is slated to be a featured speaker at the Personal PAC 28th Annual Awards Luncheon on Wed., Oct. 20. The event will take place virtually and feature several pro-choice leaders. More ...