WINDY CITY TIMES
||AMA chooses first openly gay president-elect
This article shared 1404 times since Tue Jun 14, 2022
Jesse M. Ehrenfeld, M.D., M.P.H, an anesthesiologist from Wisconsin, was voted president-elect of the American Medical Association (AMA) by physicians gathered at the Annual Meeting of the AMA House of Delegates.
Following a year-long term as president-elect, Ehrenfeld will be installed as AMA president in June 2023.
Ehrenfeld is the first openly gay person to be AMA president-elect.
"I am honored to be elected by my peers to represent the nation's physicians and the patients we serve," said Ehrenfeld in a statement. "It is a pivotal and challenging time for medicine, physicians and our health system, and as president-elect, I am committed to advancing the AMA's immediate goals around the Recovery Plan for America's Physicians, as well as the longer-term advocacy efforts aimed at shaping the future of medicine and improving the health of the nation."
Currently, Ehrenfeld is a practicing anesthesiologist, senior associate dean and tenured professor of anesthesiology at the Medical College of Wisconsin, where he leads the largest statewide health philanthropy, the Advancing a Healthier Wisconsin Endowment. Ehrenfeld is also an adjunct professor of anesthesiology and health policy at Vanderbilt University as well as adjunct professor of surgery at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Maryland.
He is a combat veteran who deployed to Afghanistan during both Operation Enduring Freedom and Resolute Support Mission. He and his husband, Judd Taback, live in Milwaukee with their son.
This article shared 1404 times since Tue Jun 14, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|HRC on end of Mpox Public Health Emergency: Today we enter a new phase in a continuing fight 2023-02-01|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) — the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization — marked the end of the Mpox Public ...
|ELECTIONS 2023 Jessie Fuentes: 26th Ward candidate talks mental health, LGBTQ+ Chicagoans 2023-01-30|
- This is part of a series of interviews Windy City Times is running on LGBTQ+ candidates in the 2023 municipal elections taking place Feb. 28. The 2023 race to represent Chicago's 26th Ward—which includes parts of ...
|NATIONAL Missing student, Utah bill, Atlanta Pride, crime items, Castro bar 2023-01-29|
- A New York City law student has been missing for weeksand his brother said his last known location was The Q, a gay bar in Manhattan's Hell's Kitchen neighborhood, NBC News reported. Jordan Taylor, 29, a ...
|Quigley commends progress in FDA LGBTQI+ blood donation draft guidance 2023-01-27|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Today, U.S. Representative Mike Quigley (IL-05), Vice-Chair of the Congressional Equality Caucus, released the following statement commending long-awaited updates to the FDA's blood donation guidance for LGBTQI+ ...
|FDA to relax rules of blood donations for gay, bisexual men 2023-01-27|
- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is reportedly slated to lift restrictions on blood donations from sexually active gay and bisexual men. However, there's at least one stipulation, The Advocate reported: A gay or bisexual ...
|TPAN announces merger with Vivent Health 2023-01-20|
- Local HIV/AIDS organization TPAN announced Jan. 19 that it would be merging with Milwaukee-based Vivent Health. The merger is expected to be finalized by March 1, according to both organizations. Vivent Health, so named in 2019, ...
|One in five older LGBT adults experienced poverty during the COVID-19 pandemic 2023-01-19|
--From a press release - A new report from the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law found that during the COVID-19 pandemic LGBT adults aged 50 and older were more likely to have household incomes below the federal poverty level ...
|Controversial conversion therapy doc has its Chicago premiere 2023-01-18|
- Chronicle Cinema presented the celebrated and controversial documentary film Conversion in its Chicago premiere on Jan. 12. The nearly sold-out premiere, which took place at the Landmark Century Centre Cinema, also featured a red-carpet experience and ...
|NATIONAL Asylum-seekers, equality updates, cannabis, HIV and COVID 2023-01-15|
- Advocacy groups that specifically work with LGBTQI+ asylum-seekers and migrants criticized the Biden administration's expansion of the use of "expedited removal" of Cubans, Nicaraguans, Haitians and Venezuelans who enter the ...
|Pritzker signs bill protecting healthcare providers 2023-01-13|
- Gov. JB Pritzker signed a bill explicitly offering protections to Illinois healthcare providers working on reproductive and/or gender-affirming care issues for their patients on Jan. 13. The bill, HB4664, also protects out-of-state clinicians who come to ...
|Illinois General Assembly passes legislation to protect reproductive and gender-affirming healthcare, leaders respond 2023-01-11|
--From a news release - From Equality Illinois Statement from Equality Illinois Deputy Director Mony Ruiz-Velasco on passage by the Illinois General Assembly of essential legislation to protect patients, providers, and families seeking and providing ...
|WORLD Murder suspect arrested, Israeli official, conversion therapy, couple's win 2023-01-08|
- Kenyan authorities arrested a suspect in the death of fashion designer/LGBTQ+-rights activist Edwin Chiloba after his body was found dumped in a metal box by the roadside near the town of Eldoret, according to CNN. Last ...
|Howard Brown, union officials dispute allegations around sidewalk incident 2023-01-06|
- As striking Howard Brown Health Workers United (HBH Workers United) members represented by the Illinois Nurses Association (INA) and their allies were picketing outside of the Andersonville Brown Elephant location at 5404 N. Clark St. on ...
|Howard Brown strike reaches third day 2023-01-05|
- Amid layoffs of 60 unionized and four non-union staffers at multiple Howard Brown Health (Howard Brown), Broadway Youth Center and Brown Elephant locations across Chicago, over 400 HBH Workers United non-nurse members represented by the Illinois ...
|WORLD Conversion therapy, Indian school, trans boxers, anti-LGBTQ+ move 2022-12-31|
- South Florida Gay News noted that efforts to ban so-called conversion therapy gained a lot of traction around the world in 2022. For example, Canada and France introduced LGBTQ+-inclusive bills to ban conversion therapy for minors ...