WINDY CITY TIMES
||ALMA, Center on Halsted hosting visibility talk Sept. 15
This article shared 781 times since Wed Sep 9, 2020
ALMA ( The Association of Latinos/as Motivating Action ) and the Center on Halsted LGBTQ will host a virtual community discussion on visibility"Being Seen and Heard in the Time of Coronavirus, Census and Voting"Tuesday, Sept. 15, 12-1:15 p.m.
A statement about the event reads, "The LGBTQ Latinx community has been undercounted and underrepresented for decades, disadvantaging our families, communities and neighborhoods. As a result, the varying needs of our communities aren't likely to be represented or prioritized according to their real share of the population."
The talk will address complexities around identity, privileg, and invisibility.
The event will be live at the Center on Halsted's Facebook page.
This article shared 781 times since Wed Sep 9, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|COVID-19 Queer-led FamilyQ helps distribute masks
- FamilyQ is an LGBTQ-led volunteer effort to support nonprofit organizations and social-justice groups by donating more than 100,000 disposable face masks. Proceeds help provide resources to overlooked and underresourced communities. ...
|AFC holds virtual 'Gala35' celebration 2020-11-23|
- AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) marked 35 years with a virtual "Gala35" celebration and awards ceremony Nov. 19. Among the honorees were Newsweb Corporation Chairperson, Alphawood Foundation President and social-justice activist ...
|33rd Creating Change Conference to go virtual Jan. 28-31 2020-11-19|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC, Nov. 19, 2021….. Thousands of LGBTQ advocates, activists, leaders, and allies will, for the first time ever, gather virtually for the 33rd Creating Change Conference from Jan. 28 through Jan. 31, 2020. The Creating ...
|New guide out for educators, parents advocating for LGBTQ students with disabilities 2020-11-17|
--From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO, CA — Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation released a new resource to help both parents and educators advocate on behalf of LGBTQ students with disabilities. NCLR partnered with HRC Foundation, the National ...
|National Black Justice Coalition welcomes new directors 2020-11-16|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC This week, the National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC) announced two new senior level hires, Victoria Kirby York, MPA, and Dr. Kia Darling-Hammond. Their leadership and experience will ...
|Gov. Pritzker, Vanessa Williams to be at AFC's 'Gala35' Nov. 19 2020-11-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) marks its milestone 35th year of service with 'Gala35,' a virtual celebration and fundraiser taking place Thursday, Nov. 19, at 6 p.m. The event features an esteemed panel of guest ...
|Advocate Craig Johnson named next board chair of AIDS Foundation of Chicago
- In October, AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC)'s board of directors voted Craig W. Johnson as the next AFC board chair. Craig has served on the board since 2017, and most recently worked as board vice chair and ...
|Equality Illinois' virtual gala on Feb. 6
- Equality Illinois will hold its 30th-anniversary gala virtually on Feb. 6, 2021. Things will kick off with a Champion Happy Hour at 6:30 p.m., followed by the program at 7 p.m. Honorees will include National Center ...
|Jane Fonda, Hillary Clinton attend Personal PAC's virtual luncheon 2020-10-28|
- Actor/Activist Jane Fonda, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton and Governor JB Pritzker were among those who took place in Personal PAC's Oct. 21 virtual luncheon. The reproductive-rights organization's principal ...
|HRC Chicago seeks nominations for corporate equality award
- Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Chicago has announced the inaugural HRC Corporate Champion for Equality Award to honor individuals who have made a significant contribution to advancing equality through their workplaces. ...
|AIDS Foundation of Chicago's 'Gala35' Nov. 19 2020-10-25|
- AIDS Foundation of Chicago's (AFC's) "Gala35"marking its 35th anniversarywill be a virtual event taking place Thursday, Nov. 19, at 6 p.m. Gala35 marks the organization's 35th year of service and will be its premier gatheri ...
|Diversity report: More than 1,000 LGBTQs running for office
- LGBTQ Victory Fund the only national organization dedicated to electing LGBTQ leaders to public officereleased its inaugural "Out on the Trail" report, which details the diversity of LGBTQ candidates who ran for office in 2020. At ...
|Restaurant employee relief fund now open
- Executives at the Illinois Restaurant Association (IRA) announced the opening of online applications for the Illinois Restaurant Association Educational Foundation (IRAEF) Restaurant Employee Relief Fund. This ...
|TPAN names Colleen O'Neill as its new CEO
- TPAN has announced the hiring of Colleen O'Neill as its new CEO to assist in empowering the organization to continue to provide care and far-reaching education to people affected by HIV/AIDS, hepatitis and all related issues, ...
|Matthew-Lee Erlbach talks Be An #ArtsHero, career, other endeavors 2020-10-14|
- Writer, actor and filmmaker Matthew-Lee Erlbach is on a mission to get financial relief to the many arts workers and institutions impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Erlbach is calling on U.S. senators to sponsor the DAWN ...