| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|One-third of gay, bisexual men who take PrEP discontinue within three years
--From a press release - Familiarity and favorable attitudes towards PrEP have increased over time, though use remains low A new study from the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law finds a significant increase in familiarity with pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) ...
|Advocates, legislators introduce bill to
decriminalize HIV in Illinois 2021-02-25|
--From a press release - SPRINGFIELD, IL - Legislation was introduced in Springfield this week to end criminal penalties against people living with HIV (PLWH), which serve only to stigmatize and discriminate against PLWH. Current Illinois law makes legal behavior — ...
|MOVIES Dutch journalist talks about making 'My Friend, the Mayor' 2021-02-17|
- In the Amazon Prime Video documentary My Friend, the Mayor: Small-town Democracy in the Age of Trump, Dutch journalist Max Westerman profiles friend Sean Strub, an openly gay activist, activist, long-term AIDS survivor and POZ magazine ...
|Writer on AIDS activism in the Black church honored 2021-02-10|
--From a press release - The LGBTQ Religious Archives Network (LGBTQ-RAN) honors Dr. Dan Royles with the 2020-21 LGBTQ Religious History Award. The review jury selected Royles' "There Is a Balm in Gilead: AIDS Activism in the Black Church" from among ...
|NATIONAL Black History Month, anti-trans bills, Penn. politician, HIV measure 2021-02-07|
- In honor of Black History Month, the National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC) announced its acquisition of the Ubuntu Biography Project, a press release noted. The Ubuntu Biography Project, created by Stephen A. Maglott, celebrates the legacies ...
|NBJC releases toolkit ahead of National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
- Ahead of National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day (NBHAAD) on Feb. 7, the National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC) released a toolkit that includes information about testing, treatment and tips for reducing ...
|National AIDS Memorial observes Black History Month
- During Black History Month, the National AIDS Memorial is honoring Black lives lost to AIDS with a specially curated selection of 56 blocks of the AIDS Memorial Quilt (the Quilt), a press release announced. "This virtual ...
|COVID 'Building Black Power' discussion on Feb. 8
- In honor of National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day, the Illinois Alliance for Sound AIDS Policy (IL ASAP)a project of AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC)is hosting "Building Black Power in the Age ...
|Joe Hollendoner to lead Los Angeles LGBT Center
- Joe Hollendoner—who was once in executive leadership roles at AIDS Foundation of Chicago and Howard Brown Health as well as a Windy City Times 30 Under 30 honoree—will officially succeed Lorri Jean as CEO of the ...
|Pioneering AIDS researcher Dr. Joseph Sonnabend dead at 88 2021-01-24|
--From a media release by HIVPlusMagazine - Pioneering AIDS researcher and clinician Joseph Sonnabend, 88, died Jan. 24, 2021 at the Wellington Hospital in London, after suffering a heart attack on Jan.3, 2021. Born in Johannesburg, South Africa, to a physician mother and ...
|Howard Brown developing new center in Northalsted area
- Howard Brown Health has chosen Inland National Development Company, LLC to develop its newest healthcare center in Chicago's Northalsted neighborhood (formerly known as Boystown), according to REJournals. There are plans ...
|Vulnerable communities slow to adopt key strategy to stop HIV's spread 2021-01-11|
--From a UCLA press release - LOS ANGELES — Taking a daily pill to prevent HIV transmission is one of the most effective biomedical strategies available to combat the virus' spread, yet use of this health regimen remains low among vulnerable communities ...
|National Minority AIDS Council responds to attack on U.S. Capitol 2021-01-06|
- Jan. 6, 2021 - National Minority AIDS Council (NMAC) Executive Director Paul Kawata has released the following statement on today's attack on the U.S. Capitol. "NMAC is completely saddened, sickened, and in total shock over the riots at the U.S. ...
|WORLD Lithuania outlook, HIV/AIDS and COVID, lawyer arrested, trans youth 2020-12-27|
- Lithuania appears set to legalize same-sex civil partnerships next year, but same-sex marriage could be up to a decade away, according to Tomas Raskevicius—the country's only openly LGBT+ lawmaker, Reuters reported. "We're going to submit t ...
|AIDS Garden projected for fall 2021 completion 2020-12-22|
- State Rep. Yoni Pizer convened a virtual meeting Dec. 21 to discuss the progress of the AIDS Garden Chicago. The long-planned site is "destined to become a true Chicago landmark and destination," said Pizer as he ...