WINDY CITY TIMES
||AIDS Foundation Jr. Board runway fashion
This article shared 3165 times since Wed May 13, 2009
The AIDS Foundation of Chicago's Junior Board produced a runway fashion show, "Design for the Cure" at the River East Art Center, 435 E. Illinois, May 7 that was hosted by Heidi Hess and introduced by Project Runway alumnus Jack Mackenroth, with designs by Lara Miller and Universal Gear among others. Mackenroth addressed attendees about Living Positive By Design, a campaign supported by Merck & Co., Inc., that seeks to help combat the stigma associated with HIV. Proceeds from the event benefited more than 100 local AIDS service organizations. ( Also, read an interview with Mackenroth online at www.WindyCityMediaGroup.com . ) Photos and text by Jerry Nunn
This article shared 3165 times since Wed May 13, 2009
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|The City of Chicago commits to advertising equity in local media 2022-10-26|
-- From a press release - CHICAGOMayor Lori E. Lightfoot signed an executive order designating that City of Chicago departments allocate at least 50 percent of their annual advertising spending to community media outlets. More than 153 languages are spoken in households ...
|Fire FC falls to CF Montreal; Cubs and White Sox win 2022-09-14|
- On Sept. 13, the Chicago Fire FC (9-14-8) fell 3-2 to CF Montreal (17-9-5) at Stade Saputo. Chicago's three-game unbeaten run (1-0-2) was snapped. Designated player Xherdan Shaqiri converted two penalty kicks on the night, but ...
|NATIONAL Gay judge, brewery threatened, Victory Fund, AIDS Quilt 2022-08-28|
- New York's highest court has designated Associate Judge Anthony Cannataro to serve as acting chief judge after Janet DiFiore steps down, Gay City News reported. Cannataro, the former administrative judge of New York City's civil court, ...
|Skaters from Chicago BIPOC queer collective froSkate release Nike SB shoe 2022-08-17|
- Members of froSkate—an organization dedicated to creating safe spaces for BIPOC queer skateboarders—recently became the first Black women to design a colorful sneaker with Nike SB, and the shoe was recently released. Two of froSkate's le ...
|ACTIVITIES Architectural Artifacts brings the goods to new Chicago location 2022-07-15|
- Following its 35-year legacy as one of the nation's top destinations for globally sourced design and architectural statement pieces, Architectural Artifacts, Inc. (AAI) has reimagined a 35,000-square-foot Mid Century-style school ...
|Out at CHM's 'Dancing for Life' to take place June 23 2022-06-10|
- The Chicago History Museum, 1601 N. Clark St., is continuing its Out at CHM series with "Dancing for Life: Moving through HIV/AIDS" on Thursday, June 23, 5:30-8:30 p.m. In honor of Chicago designating 2022 as the ...
|HIV/AIDS activist Rae Lewis-Thornton on her new memoir, 'Unprotected' 2022-05-18|
- Emmy-winning HIV/AIDS activist, author, minister, political organizer, motivational speaker, life coach, jewelry designer and social media figure Rae Clara Lewis-Thornton's recently released book, Unprotected: A Memoir, is already a pre-release ...
|Gov. Pritzker signs legislation addressing rise in organized retail thefts 2022-05-13|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — On May 13, Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker joined Attorney General Kwame Raoul, lawmakers, advocates and law-enforcement officials to sign legislation designed to combat a nationwide rise in coordinated retail thefts. "This new law represents ...
|Brittney Griner gets new designation; Black LGBTQ+ group responds 2022-05-03|
- The United States is now saying lesbian WNBA player Brittney Griner is wrongfully detained in Russia, NPR reported. The shift in language indicates the United States will work more aggressively to secure her release. The State ...
|LGBTQ Catholic resource Outreach launches 2022-05-02|
- Outreacha new website designed to help LGBTQ Catholics, their families and friends, and those who minister to them in the churchhas launched. Outreach will publish news stories and essays from around the world; offer a resource ...
|COVID Latest travel update: 9.7% of country at 'Medium' or 'High' level 2022-04-30|
- In the CDC's weekly update of COVID-19 Community Levels released April 29, 9.7 percent—or 314—of the 3,220 counties in the United States and Puerto Rico are now designated at a "Medium" or "High" COVID-19 level. That ...
|Designs for Dignity gala on May 19 2022-04-19|
- Designs for Dignity's annual fundraising gala, "Spirit of Design," will take place Thursday, May 19, 6-10 p.m., and will celebrate more than 20 years of impact on Chicago's nonprofit community. The event will take place at ...
|POLITICS Gay media owner to run for Chicago mayor 2022-04-06|
- Dennis J. "DJ" Doran—the openly gay owner of the LGBTQ+-focused Aequalitas Media—is planning a run for Chicago mayor. Doran, a Lake View resident, has acknowledged he is an outsider—but he also believes that designation is an ...
|Lynching now a federal hate crime 2022-03-30|
- After multiple failed attempts that spanned more than a century, there is now a federal law that designates lynching as a hate crime, NPR reported. In a March 29 ceremony at the White House, President Joe Biden signed ...
|Lightfoot, CPD and CTA officials announce new safety measures 2022-03-09|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO Today, Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, Chicago Police Superintendent David O. Brown and Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) President Dorval Carter Jr. announced new measures designed to improve public safety and ...