||AFC Jr. Board fashion show May 8
This article shared 3685 times since Thu May 1, 2008
The AIDS Foundation of Chicago's Junior Board is holding its signature event, 'Make a Statement: Design for the Cure,' Thurs., May 8, 6-9 p.m., at Le Passage, 937 N. Rush.
Steven Rosengard, of Project Runway fame, will host the high-energy fashion show and cocktail event. To kick off National HIV/AIDS Testing Month in June, models will wear T-shirts with such statements as 'Condoms: for Wieners not Wallets' and 'AIDS Apathy Makes Your Ass Look Big.'
Tickets are $50-$100. See www.aidschicago.org/events/make_a_statement.php.
This article shared 3685 times since Thu May 1, 2008
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Out at CHM's 'Dancing for Life' to take place June 23 2022-06-10|
- The Chicago History Museum, 1601 N. Clark St., is continuing its Out at CHM series with "Dancing for Life: Moving through HIV/AIDS" on Thursday, June 23, 5:30-8:30 p.m. In honor of Chicago designating 2022 as the ...
|HIV/AIDS activist Rae Lewis-Thornton on her new memoir, 'Unprotected' 2022-05-18|
- Emmy-winning HIV/AIDS activist, author, minister, political organizer, motivational speaker, life coach, jewelry designer and social media figure Rae Clara Lewis-Thornton's recently released book, Unprotected: A Memoir, is already a pre-release ...
|Gov. Pritzker signs legislation addressing rise in organized retail thefts 2022-05-13|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — On May 13, Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker joined Attorney General Kwame Raoul, lawmakers, advocates and law-enforcement officials to sign legislation designed to combat a nationwide rise in coordinated retail thefts. "This new law represents ...
|Brittney Griner gets new designation; Black LGBTQ+ group responds 2022-05-03|
- The United States is now saying lesbian WNBA player Brittney Griner is wrongfully detained in Russia, NPR reported. The shift in language indicates the United States will work more aggressively to secure her release. The State ...
|LGBTQ Catholic resource Outreach launches 2022-05-02|
- Outreacha new website designed to help LGBTQ Catholics, their families and friends, and those who minister to them in the churchhas launched. Outreach will publish news stories and essays from around the world; offer a resource ...
|COVID Latest travel update: 9.7% of country at 'Medium' or 'High' level 2022-04-30|
- In the CDC's weekly update of COVID-19 Community Levels released April 29, 9.7 percent—or 314—of the 3,220 counties in the United States and Puerto Rico are now designated at a "Medium" or "High" COVID-19 level. That ...
|Designs for Dignity gala on May 19 2022-04-19|
- Designs for Dignity's annual fundraising gala, "Spirit of Design," will take place Thursday, May 19, 6-10 p.m., and will celebrate more than 20 years of impact on Chicago's nonprofit community. The event will take place at ...
|POLITICS Gay media owner to run for Chicago mayor 2022-04-06|
- Dennis J. "DJ" Doran—the openly gay owner of the LGBTQ+-focused Aequalitas Media—is planning a run for Chicago mayor. Doran, a Lake View resident, has acknowledged he is an outsider—but he also believes that designation is an ...
|Lynching now a federal hate crime 2022-03-30|
- After multiple failed attempts that spanned more than a century, there is now a federal law that designates lynching as a hate crime, NPR reported. In a March 29 ceremony at the White House, President Joe Biden signed ...
|Lightfoot, CPD and CTA officials announce new safety measures 2022-03-09|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO Today, Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, Chicago Police Superintendent David O. Brown and Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) President Dorval Carter Jr. announced new measures designed to improve public safety and ...
|Chicago historian 'invites the audience to the party' that is queer history 2022-02-28|
- The book Voices in Isolation: 4 Queer Plays at a Social Distance is a collection of stories about the LGBTQ+ community designed to preserve "fading memories" of queer history and experiences by "inviting the audience to ...
|Wisconsin county's United Way launching LGBTQ+ equity challenge 2022-01-30|
- In Wisconsin's Brown County, the public is invited to participate in a nine-week equity challenge designed to create more understanding of and community support for LGBTQ+ residents, per the Green Bay Press Gazette. The LGBTQ+ Equity ...
|Fashion designer Thierry Mugler dies at 73 2022-01-24|
- Openly gay French fashion designer Thierry Mugler (full name: Manfred Thierry Mugler) has passed away at age 73, according to media reports. Madonna, Lady Gaga and Cardi B are among those who have worn his designs. ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE, dance community designate 2022 the "Year of Chicago Dance" 2022-01-21|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO In deep partnership with the local dance community, Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) Commissioner Erin Harkey have designated 2022 as the "Year ...
|PASSAGES Pansy Kings performance artist, education advocate Murray McKay 2022-01-20|
- Pansy Kings performance artist, education advocate, curator, designer and LGBTQ activist Edward Murray McKay died Jan. 4 of cancer. He was 53. McKay was born Oct. 2, 1968, in Brussels, Belgium. The family moved to Toronto ...