WINDY CITY TIMES
||A majority of U.S. Senators back marriage equality
From an HRC press release
This article shared 1982 times since Fri Apr 5, 2013
WASHINGTON — Today two more United States Senators publicly endorsed marriage rights for same-sex couples, following a groundswell of support in recent weeks. With announcements from Joe Donnelly (D-IN) and Heidi Heitkamp (D-ND ) today, the total number of U.S. Senators backing marriage equality has reached 53, including 49 Democrats, 2 Independents and 2 Republicans. Following the Senators' announcements today, Human Rights Campaign President Chad Griffin released the following statement:
"The bipartisan tidal wave of support for marriage equality will only continue to swell as time progresses. Our leaders in Washington are finally catching up to the American people, who believe that committed and loving gay and lesbian couples deserve the right to marry. We thank Senators Donnelly and Heitkamp for planting themselves firmly on the right side of history today."
Yesterday U.S. Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL) publicly endorsed marriage for same-sex couples. With his announcement, a majority in the Senate support marriage equality. HRC tracks the positions of Members of Congress on marriage and other issues pertinent to LGBT equality as part of its Congressional Scorecard.
"Today, young LGBT people in these Senators' states and across the country are hearing a powerful message of acceptance and support from their representatives in Washington," continued Griffin. "We look forward to continuing this conversation with the remaining 47 Senators and the American people."
This article shared 1982 times since Fri Apr 5, 2013
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD Japan politics, video games, lesbian tennis player, Mr. Gay World 2021-10-10|
- LGBTQ+-rights activists were hoping Japan would finally allow same-sex marriage if Taro Kono, who has publicly supported same-sex marriage, became the country's next prime minister—but their hopes were dashed. Japan's ...
|"I can't be silent": Michael O'Connor discusses his longtime activism 2021-10-04|
By Kayleigh Padar - Years ago, longtime activist Michael O'Connor heard that some Black legislators in Illinois didn't want to support the Marriage Equality Act because they didn't believe Black people would benefit from same-sex marriage. He decided to prove ...
|Liz Cheney: 'I was wrong' to oppose same-sex marriage 2021-09-27|
- U.S. Rep. Liz Cheney saidin a segment of the CBS show 60 Minutes that aired Sept. 26she was "wrong" to oppose same-sex marriage when her objection to it caused a public split with her family, including ...
|Nearly two-thirds of Swiss residents vote for marriage equality 2021-09-26|
- Almost two-thirds of Switzerland's voters backed the government's plan to introduce same-sex marriage in a referendum held Sept. 26, with campaigners calling it a historic day for gay rights in Switzerland, Yahoo! News reported, citing AFP. ...
|NATIONAL Danica Roem, 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell,' abortion appeal, Lambda Legal 2021-09-26|
- Transgender Virginia legislator Danica Roem is facing a conservative marriage-equality opponent and former Trump administration member in her re-election race this November, Yahoo! News noted. Roem, a Democrat, was elected to the House of Delegates in ...
|WORLD Marches, world leaders, Swiss marriage, soccer match 2021-09-26|
- Thousands of people including soldiers and diplomats marched peacefully through the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv in an annual Pride parade despite some opposition to an event called off last year because of the coronavirus pandemic, Reuters ...
|[UPDATE] Lisle school offers job to lacrosse coach in same-sex marriage 2021-09-21|
- The administration at Lisle’s Benet Academy, a west suburban Catholic school, has reversed course and offered a job to a woman in a same-sex marriage after initially rescinding the offer, The Chicago Tribune reported. ...
|Pope again refuses to bless same-sex marriages 2021-09-18|
- Pope Francis told reporters recently on a return flight from Hungary that the Catholic Church is unable to bless same-sex marriages because marriage is a divine sacrament between a man and a woman, per The Advocate. ...
|Polis marriage marks first same-sex wedding of sitting governor 2021-09-17|
- On Sept. 15, Colorado Democratic Gov. Jared Polis wed longtime partner Marlon Reis—marking the first same-sex marriage of a sitting U.S. governor, NPR reported. Polis keeps making history. In 2018, Polis became the first openly gay ...
|LGBTQ advocates celebrate two Illinois marriage certificate modernization bills 2021-07-27|
--From a press release - Trans and non-binary people who were married in Illinois will now be able to obtain marriage certificates that reflect their authentic selves thanks to legislation signed today by Governor JB Pritzker, according to Equality Illinois and ...
|WORLD Marriage in Chile, Polish website, Toronto news, 'Reclaim Pride' march 2021-07-25|
- On July 21, Chile's Senate approved an equal-marriage bill, DW.com reported. The regulations were presented during the second government of the socialist Michelle Bachelet (2014-2018) and last June 1, during ...
|LGBTQ advocates celebrate passage of Illinois marriage certificate name change legislation 2021-05-28|
--From a press release - LGBTQ advocates are celebrating passage of state legislation that will provide certainty for individuals requesting that their Illinois marriage certificates reflect a legal name change. HB 2590 is an initiative of Equality Illinois and Chicago House ...
|LGBT-inclusive marriage-certificate act passes state General Assembly 2021-05-21|
--From a press release - May 21. 2021 - In an effort to modernize marriage certificates in Illinois, state Sen. Sara Feigenholtz and state Rep. Ann Williams helped pass The Marriage Certificate Modernization Act through the Illinois General Assembly. The legislation ...
|Starting May 3, ceremonies in Cook County's downtown Marriage Court can be performed by Zoom 2021-04-30|
- CHICAGO (April 30) — Marriage and civil union ceremonies at Cook County's downtown Marriage and Civil Union Court (Marriage Court) may be performed via Zoom videoconference, as well as in person, starting next week, according to ...
|Illinois Senate passes proposal removing gendered language from marriage certificates
--From a press release - On April 21, on its third reading, the Illinois Senate passed (by a bipartisan vote of 44-13) a proposal that amends the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act to allow the removal of gendered language ...