WINDY CITY TIMES
||A Musical Benefit for Center on Halsted
This article shared 2802 times since Wed Mar 31, 2004
The combined gay choruses of Windy City Performing Arts continue its Silver 25th Anniversary Season with 'Spectacular! Spectacular! Songs of the Silver Screen.'
Hollywood has a way of stamping music into the collective consciousness of American pop culture. Who would be able to hum the harrowing strains of 'O Fortuna' from Carl Orf's 'Carmina Burana' if it wasn't overused in countless movie previews? How many church choirs added 'Hail Holy Queen' to their repertoire following Whoopi Goldberg's Sister Act? And who could forget how film immortalizes all kinds of singing actors—everyone from operetta star Jeanette MacDonald warbling 'Indian Love Call' in Rose Marie to Angela Lansbury hopping around as an animated teapot spouting 'Be Our Guest' in Disney's Beauty and the Beast.
Each of these moments will be recalled in 'Spectacular! Spectacular! Songs of the Silver Screen,' a one-night concert celebrating Hollywood by the combined gay choruses of Windy City Performing Arts. The concert continues Windy City Gay Chorus' commemoration of its Silver 25th Anniversary Season and also features numbers performed by the Windy City Slickers and Unison: Windy City Lesbian & Gay Singers. Special guests for the concert include the Lakeside Pride Symphonic Band, the Joel Hall Dancers and Healthworks Theatre, which will be performing its acclaimed 'Wizard of A.I.D.S.' A portion of the concert proceeds will be donated to the Center on Halsted project.
So if your Hollywood musical tastes range from Broadway take-off, animated antics, serious Shakespearean drama to screwball comedy, 'Spectacular! Spectacular! Songs of the Silver Screen' offers something for everyone who has ever fallen in love with the movies.
'Spectacular! Spectacular! Songs of the Silver Screen' plays Saturday, April 3 at 8 p.m. at the Athenaeum Theatre, 2936 N. Southport. Tickets are $15 to $24 and can be purchased at the Athenaeum Theatre box office or via Ticketmaster at (312) 902-1500 or www.ticketmaster.com . Groups of 10 or more receive a 15 percent discount. Portions of proceeds to benefit the Center on Halsted.
This article shared 2802 times since Wed Mar 31, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Book of Mormon's Sam Nackman knocks on Cadillac Palace door 2023-03-28|
- The Book of Mormon is returning to Chicago on a mission to convert new followers into the musical fold. The masterminds behind the satirical cartoon series South Park, Matt Stone and Trey Parker created a smash ...
|Kokandy Productions announces 2023 Season 2023-03-22|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (March 22, 2023) — Kokandy Productions is thrilled to announce its 2023 season, including two fully produced musicals, plus plans for the return of the Chicago Musical Theatre Festival. This summer, Kokandy will dive into ...
|Kendrick Lamar, Billie Eilish, Diplo and more to headline Lollapalooza on Aug. 3-6 2023-03-21|
--From a press release - (Chicago—March 21, 2023) Lollapalooza has unveiled a powerhouse lineup for the 2023 edition, featuring first-time headliners Kendrick Lamar and Billie Eilish along with Red Hot Chili Peppers, ODESZA, Lana Del Rey, Karol G, who will make ...
|Opera Preview: Life of gay World War II hero Alan Turing transformed into a world-premiere opera 2023-03-17|
- It has taken a decade for The Life and Death(s) of Alan Turing to grow from an idea into a full- fledged opera. Chicago Opera Theater stages the world premiere of composer Justine F. Chen and ...
|Lyric Opera of Chicago announces its 2023-24 season 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (3/14/2023) — Lyric Opera of Chicago, led by General Director, President & CEO Anthony Freud and Music Director Enrique Mazzola, today announces the company's 2023/24 Season, which takes audiences on a global tour of opera ...
|House Musical, Coming of Age in the Age of House, coming to Hoover-Leppen Theatre 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - Campsongs Productions presents the world premiere of House Musical - Coming of Age in the Age of House, with book by Marcus Waller, music by Scott Free (with Michael Foley) and lyrics by Scott Free and ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE announce dates for summer festivals and events 2023-03-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGOToday, Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) announced the 2023 dates for some of the City of Chicago's most beloved summertime traditions. Returning festivals and events include ...
|SHOWBIZ Little Richard, Indigo Girls, Rodriguez's honor, dance film, Pedro Pascal 2023-03-10|
Video below - Produced by Bungalow Media + Entertainment for CNN Films and HBO Max, in association with Rolling Stone Films, director Lisa Cortes' Sundance opening-night documentary Little Richard: I Am Everything will debut in theaters and on VOD ...
|SHOWBIZ Wanda Sykes, Jonas Brothers, 'Queen of Versailles,' 'Bloodshed' 2023-03-04|
Adam Lambert video below - Award-winning comedian Wanda Sykes' new comedy special, I'm An Entertainer, will premiere globally on Netflix on May 23, a press release announced. The special, directed by Linda Mendoza, was filmed in early February 2023 at Philadelphia's ...
|Singer Zolita zips through Chicago on a whirlwind tour 2023-02-28|
- Zoe Montana Hoetzel has evolved into the multidimensional artist known as Zolita while cultivating a massive following. Her personality is multifaceted as well. She identifies as a lesbian, an activist and a witch, but she's also ...
|SHOWBIZ Black queer films, Janet Jackson, Paramore, WNBA, GALECA contest 2023-02-19|
- Queerty ran a piece on 10 films that celebrate Black queer love. Some of them include The Skinny (with Jussie Smollett), Dee Rees' movie Pariah, the Oscar-winning Moonlight, the Marlon Riggs classic Tongues Untied, Brother to ...
|Theater Review: Cabaret continues to reflect on our modern challenges 2023-02-14|
- Title: Cabaret. Book: Joe Masteroff; Score: John Kander & Fred Ebb. At: Porchlight Music Theatre at Ruth Page Center for the Arts, 1016 N. Dearborn St. Tickets: 773-777-9884 or www.PorchlightMusicTheatre.org; prices begin at $25. Runs through ...
|Goran Stolevski grows up fast with Of an Age 2023-02-14|
- Openly gay filmmaker Goran Stolevski is a triple threat: He handled directing, writing and editing chores for his new project, Of an Age, which Focus Features is now distributing. The film is already taking home trophies ...
|Queer songwriter donates $500K to Chicago Academy for the Arts 2023-02-13|
- Returning to the school that they said saved their life years ago and set them on a path to becoming one of the most celebrated activists and songwriters of the modern era, it was announced Feb. ...
|SHOWBIZ Isaac Mizrahi, Viola Davis, Laura Jane Grace, Elton John, GLAAD 2023-02-11|
- On Sherri Shepherd's talk show, entertainer/fashion designer Isaac Mizrahi said he'd love for out actor Dan Levy to portray him in a potential biopic based on Mizrahi's memoir, I.M., The Wrap noted. "Dan Levy, OK," Mizrahi ...