WINDY CITY TIMES
||21st annual Glenwood Avenue Arts Fest taking place Aug. 19-21
-- From a press release
This article shared 921 times since Wed Jul 27, 2022
CHICAGO (July 26, 2022)The popular Glenwood Avenue Arts Fest (GAAF) announces complete music lineup for the three-day festival, headlined by Chicago rapper Psalm One, Rock n Roll band from New Brunswick, NJ Screaming Females, and Chicago's award-winning Indo-Afro-Caribbean music ensemble Funkadesi. GAAF returns to Rogers Park for its 21st year on Aug. 19-21, bringing more than 120 artists and 30 live music acts on three stages to the Glenwood Avenue Arts District, steps from the Morse Red Line 'L' stop at 6900-7000 N. Glenwood Avenue and 1300-1500 W. Morse Avenue. Admission is free to the public. The Fest includes an art fair, live music on three stages, kids' artmaking activities, food and drinks from local restaurants, and live demonstrations of performance art and artmaking.
The festival will kick off with a Friday Night Cobblestone Jam (music only), Friday August 19, 6-9 p.m. and continue with an Outdoor Art Fair on Saturday, August 20 from 11 a.m.-9 p.m. and Sunday, August 21 from 11 a.m.-7 p.m., presenting a diverse selection of over 120 artists and craftworkers, including painting, drawing, photography, sculpture, ceramics, glass, textile, metal, mixed media and functional art.
This year, the festival will add a second food court near the East Stage, bringing local food offerings to both music stages. The new Rhapsody Theater, which features nationally acclaimed magic shows, chamber music, jazz, world music and more, will offer tours and cold drinks at its bar for free. Taking place during the Chicago Year Of Dance, the festival's Outrageous Open Arts Area will feature several dance performances by Muntu Dance Theatre, Hiplet Ballet and Glenwood Dance Studio, plus interactive dancing with Glenwood Dance Studio. Morse Market KidFest Family Art Activity Tent will return with hands on activities from The International Art Group.
The festival has expanded its footprint this year from the west side of Glenwood Avenue to both the east and west sides of the coveted cobblestone street. In addition to two traditional music stagesEast Stage at 1330 W. Morse Ave, and Rogers Park Chamber of Commerce West Stage at 1430 W. Morse Avelive music will also be presented at the Le Piano Stage, part of the Glenwood Avenue Alfresco community area newly opened this year, featuring Tommy McCraken and the Force of Habit Band from 2-4 pm on Saturday and Sunday, and Rio Bamba, a Brazilian Latin jazz group from 5-7 pm on Saturday and Sunday. The music lineup for the East and West stages is as follows:
This article shared 921 times since Wed Jul 27, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ Elton John, Leslie Jordan, Joel Kim Booster, Janelle Monae 2022-11-27|
- Elton John gave Los Angeles concluded a three-show run on Nov. 20 back inside Dodger Stadium, taking a final bow as part of his "Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour," according to The Hollywood Reporter. The concert ...
|Gay man to head Chicago Latino Theater Alliance 2022-11-15|
- The Chicago Latino Theater Alliance (CLATA) announced the appointment of Jorge Valdivia as its new executive director, according to the Lawndale News. Valdivia's previous position was director of performing arts at the National Museum of Mexic ...
|School of the Art Institute auction on Nov. 1-14, auction party on Nov. 11 2022-11-01|
- The School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) is inviting all art collectors and enthusiasts to an online auction taking place Nov. 1-14 on Artsy.net, where a diverse group of SAIC alums and faculty will ...
|Queer Art announces 2023 Queer Art Mentorship Fellow 2022-11-01|
-- From a press release - Queer|Art, NYC's home for the creative and professional development of LGBTQ+ artists, is pleased to announce the new Fellows for the 2023 Queer|Art|Mentorship (QAM) program cycle. The Mentorship program is ...
|Chicago mural of Kanye West painted over in wake of antisemitic remarks 2022-10-27|
- A West Loop mural image of Ye, the artist formerly known as Kanye West, was painted over on Oct. 27, as fallout continued over the Chicago native's recent controversial and antisemitic public statements, The Chicago-Sun Times ...
|'Cirque Dreams Holidaze' to take place Dec. 22-24 2022-10-26|
- Cirque Dreams Holidaze is set to dazzle Chicago audiences with a Broadway-style production infused with contemporary circus arts. The production will play for six performances on Dec. 22-24 at the Auditorium Theatre, 50 Ida B. Wells ...
|Ginsburg, Morrison, women's soccer to be honored with stamps 2022-10-26|
- The U.S. Postal Service announced that the late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg and the late author Toni Morrison (Beloved; The Bluest Eye) will be honored with new postage stamps next year. The sport of ...
|Chicago Artists Coalition announces departure of executive director 2022-10-18|
- Chicago Artists Coalition (CAC) announced that Teresa Silva, CAC's executive and artistic director, will leave the organization on Wed., Oct. 26. CAC Board Chair J. Gibran Villalobos will serve as interim executive director during the executiv ...
|ART McAninch Arts Center announces 'Warhol Public Pop Art Challenge' 2022-10-13|
- Following the success of the summer 2021 exhibition, "Frida Kahlo: Timeless," the Cleve Carney Museum of Art (CCMA) and the McAninch Arts Center (MAC) at the College of DuPage (COD) will present "Warhol: Featuring Andy Warhol ...
|MOVIES 'Beyond Ed Buck' to kick off Black Alphabet Film Festival on Nov. 5 2022-10-13|
- Black Alphabeta nonprofit committed to promoting equity awareness on behalf of the Black LGBTQ+ community through the use of media and the artsannounced the 9th Annual Black Alphabet Film Festival (BAFF) will kick off with the ...
|Art Institute revises Gonzales-Torres placard to include HIV-related details 2022-10-04|
- Art Institute of Chicago (AIC) has revised the label accompanying the Felix Gonzalez-Torres' installation "Untitled (Portrait of Ross in L.A.)" to reinstate references both to Gonzalez-Torres' partner Ross Laycock and ...
|DANCE Cerqua Rivera kickoff/benefit on Oct. 22 2022-09-30|
- Cerqua Rivera Dance Theatre (CRDT) will hold its season kickoff/benefit on Saturday, Oct. 22, at the Reva and David Logan Center for the Arts, 915 E. 60th St., at 7:30 p.m. CRDT's Dance Ensemble and Jazz ...
|21c Museum Hotel Chicago launches art-centered series 2022-09-29|
- The spot 21c Museum Hotel Chicago, 55 E. Ontario St.which blurs the line between a contemporary art museum and a boutique hotelannounced plans for its fall/winter 2022 season and 2023 edition of the "Art of" a ...
|ART Chicago artist part of German exhibit 'Queering the Crip' 2022-09-25|
- "Queering the Crip, Cripping the Queer"—called the first international exhibit exploring the multiple historical, cultural and political intersections of queerness and disability—will take place through Jan. 30, 2023 at Berlin's ...
|Center on Halsted makes senior staff hires in development, DEI and culinary arts programs 2022-09-22|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — Three senior hires have been added to Center on Halsted's staff recently. Brittany Terry was named senior director of diversity, equity, and inclusion/training services. Brad Snyder began work as chief development officer last month. ...