WINDY CITY TIMES
||2015 CRFC Bill of Rights in Action award goes to marriage plaintiffs
by Gretchen Rachel Hammond
This article shared 4793 times since Wed Oct 7, 2015
The centerpiece of the Constitutional Rights Foundation Chicago ( CRFC )'s 2015 Bill of Rights in Action benefit held in the downtown J.W. Marriott Burnham Ballroom on Oct. 6 was a table set with well over fifty separate plaquesone for each of the plaintiffs in Illinois, Wisconsin and Indiana and the organizations representing them in groundbreaking cases which were the genesis of marriage equality in those states and eventually nationwide.
It was an unprecedented number of awards distributed in a single evening for the 41-year-old organization which, according to their mission, is dedicated to strengthening "American Democracy by providing elementary and secondary students with hands-on learning about the Constitution to prepare them for informed civic engagement."
"We honor those involved in the marriage equality cases decided last year in the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, particularly the plaintiffs, who stand as real-life and real-time examples of the Bill of Rights in action," CRFC Board Chair Benjamin Ghess noted in his introduction to the evening. "Extraordinary citizens who fought for what they believed was right and were protected by the Constitution."
His sentiments were echoed by fellow board-member Andrew W. Vail. "Tonight we are especially proud to honor the sacrifice and determination of these honorees and recognize the historic success that they helped the United States of America achieve in the critical areas of constitutional, civil and human rights," he said. "Most importantly they remind us that in life, even in law, love conquers all."
Illinois plaintiffs including Jim Darby and Patrick Bova, Lee Edwards and Brenda Lee, Vernita Gray and Pat Ewert, Gary Magruder and Edwin Hamilton alongside their peers in Wisconsin and Indiana became part of a distinguished pantheon of the CRFC's prior honorees including former United States Attorney General Janet Reno, actress Whoopi Goldberg and Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan.
Also awarded were representatives from the advocacy organizations and law firms who relentlessly litigated the marriage casesLambda Legal, the American Civil Liberties Union ( ACLU ), Kirkland & Ellis LLP, Mayer Brown LLC and Miller, Shakman & Beem LLP.
"This is the icing on the cake to be honored for taking action with others representing people throughout Illinois in trying to get justice for all and marriage equality," Edwards told Windy City Times. "I think about friends like Vernita Gray and Renae Ogletree who paved the way for us to be trailblazers in that cause."
Lee added that she wants to see more people take their lead in a fight for LGBTQ civil rights that has only just begun. "I'd like to see more community support for our youth," she said. "They are the future. They have way more courage than I had at their age. Of course the number one concern that Brenda and I want to be involved with is equality and fairness for the transgender community."
"In the end the hero's journey is not over," Magruder told the audience. "You are the ones to go into the deepest part of the forest and fight for equality, liberty, freedom and justice for us all."
The global business management consulting firm Navigant was also a recipient of the award for their partnership with the CRFC.
For more information about the work of the CRFC visit: www.crfc.org .
This article shared 4793 times since Wed Oct 7, 2015
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|NATIONAL Marriage proposal, Creating Change, mural erased, 'Queer Santa' 2021-01-05|
- A COVID-19 vaccine appointment at a Canton, South Dakota, hospital turned into a marriage proposal for one healthcare couple, CNN.com noted. Robbie Vargas-Cortes, 31, a paramedic and EMS supervisor, was scheduled to get his vaccination on ...
|WORLD Lithuania outlook, HIV/AIDS and COVID, lawyer arrested, trans youth 2020-12-27|
- Lithuania appears set to legalize same-sex civil partnerships next year, but same-sex marriage could be up to a decade away, according to Tomas Raskevicius—the country's only openly LGBT+ lawmaker, Reuters reported. "We're going to submit t ...
|Switzerland's parliament okays marriage equality,
residents to have final say 2020-12-18|
- On Dec. 18, the Swiss parliament approved a bill allowing same-sex couples to marry, finally bringing the nation in line with much of Europe on LGBTQ rights, TheLocal.ch reported. However, the Swiss residents themselves will have ...
- "You can't say that marriage is a union between one man and one woman. Until very recently, that's what the vast majority of Americans thought. Now it's considered bigotry."Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito. So much for ...
|WORLD Canada museum, gay NZ leader, marriage items, 'Drag Race' 2020-11-09|
- The embattled Canadian Museum for Human Rights (CMHR) said it's planning sweeping changes to rebuild the organization more than four months after staff came forward with shocking allegations of racism and LGBT censorship, CBC.ca reported. The ...
|Jennifer N. Pritzker, Erin E. Solaro wed 2020-11-02|
--From a press release - Jennifer N. Pritzker and Erin E. Solaro were married in a private ceremony in Chicago on Oct. 31, 2020. Ms. Pritzker is President & CEO of TAWANI Enterprises Inc., Lieutenant Colonel U.S. Army, Retired, and Founder ...
|WORLD Taiwan marriages, Nigeria court, protests, GQ Awards 2020-11-02|
- Two women became the first military officers to marry their same-sex civilian partners at a mass military wedding in Taiwanmarking another landmark for LGBTQ+ rights in Asia, CNN.com reported. The island's defense ministry called it an ...
|LGBTQ+ Equality Caucus co-chairs bring resolution affirming court's marriage ruling 2020-10-30|
--From a press release - Washington, D.C. - Tomorrow the Congressional LGBTQ+ Equality Caucus Co-Chairs, Chris Pappas (NH-01), David Cicilline (RI-01), Angie Craig (MN-02), Sharice L. Davids (KS-03), Sean Patrick Maloney ...
|NATIONAL Marriage support, GLSEN, LGBTQ voting campaigns 2020-10-26|
- Seventy percent of Americans support same-sex marriage, according to the 11th annual American Values Surveythe highest percentage recorded by a major national poll, NBC News reported. The results found just 28 percent of respondents oppose the ...
|Pope calls for same-sex civil unions in documentary (UPDATED) 2020-10-21|
- In a departure from the position held by the Vatican's doctrinal office, Pope Francis called for the passage of civil union laws for same-sex couples in a documentary that aired in Rome, NBC News noted. "Homosexuals ...
|WORLD India couple, Japan items, pro-trans writers, Nigeria job fair 2020-10-12|
- In India, a same-sex couple approached the Delhi High Court seeking legal recognition of their marriage under the Foreign Marriage Act, India.com reported. The petitioners, an Indian citizen and an overseas citizen, are two gay men ...
|NATIONAL Marriage equality, minister and trans journalist die, HRC 2020-10-12|
- LGBTQ-rights advocates are warning of a renewed threat to marriage equality, NBC News reported. President Donald Trump's nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court to succeed Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg ignited fears of ...
|Threat to marriage equality looms at Supreme Court, Lambda Legal responds 2020-10-05|
--From a press release - (Washington, D.C., October 5, 2020) — Today, in a statement in Davis v. Ermold, authored by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas and joined by Justice Samuel Alito, the Justices indicated a desire to overturn Obergefell v. ...
|WORLD Vancouver protest, dating apps, Budapest Pride, N. Ireland marriages 2020-09-08|
- In Canada, protesters held a beach dance party in Vancouver's West End night in a bid to disrupt an event by a Toronto preacher who has been accused of anti-LGBTQ hate speech, CBC.ca reported. David Lynn, ...
|NATIONAL Bakery situation, tribal marriage, anti-LGBTQ crimes, Penn. lawmakers 2020-08-10|
- Extreme right-wing organization the Church Militant requested that Detroit bakery Good Cakes and Bakes co-owner April Anderson (who's LGBTQ) put on a cake, "Homosexual acts are gravely evil. (Catholic Catechism ...