WINDY CITY TIMES
U of C hosts LGBTQ homelessness discussion
From a press release
This article shared 4294 times since Sat Nov 15, 2014
UChicago's new RSO Queers United in Power Presents: Action & LGBTQ HomelessnessA Panel Discussion, Wed., Nov. 19, 7 p.m., at The University of Chicago's Center for the Study of Gender and Sexuality, 5733 S. University Ave., Chicago.
Organizers stated: "This is an issue that is incredibly important to the queer community, yet sometimes gets lost in certain spaces ( such as institutions like UChicago ). This event will help to spotlight the action that is currently being done in Chicago with regards to the intersectionality of queerness and homelessness, with representatives from TransLife Center, the Night Ministry, and the Windy City Times. Our panelists will discuss the successes and challenges of their work as well as what college students can do to help stand in active solidarity."
This event is co-sponsored by the Office of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer ( LGBTQ ) Student Life and the Center for the Study for Gender and Sexuality.
This article shared 4294 times since Sat Nov 15, 2014
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Iowa, Georgia ban medical treatment for trans minors 2023-03-24|
- Two more states have enacted laws that prohibit medical treatment for transgender minors. On March 22, Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds signed two bills into law that affect transgender minors in the state, NBC News reported. Senate ...
|Kentucky lawmakers pass anti-trans youth bill; governor plans to veto measure 2023-03-20|
- In Kentucky, Republican lawmakers passed a bill that bans minors from receiving gender-affirming care, lets educators refuse to refer to trans students by their preferred pronouns and would not allow schools to discuss sexual orientation or ...
|NATIONAL Folx Health, gay mayor arrested, powerlifter's suit, Versace visit 2023-03-10|
- Boston-based Folx Healthwhich provides primary healthcare services and gender-affirming healthcare to LGBTQIA peoplemade Fast Company's list of the world's 50 most innovative businesses. A few of the other healthcare companies ...
|Center on Halsted presents annual Intergenerational Talent Show 2023-03-06|
- On March 2, Center on Halsted hosted its Fifth Annual Intergenerational Talent Show, featuring performances from participants from the Youth and Family Services and the Senior Services programs. Participants in the free event presented a program ...
|LGBTQ+ groups criticize Tenn. bill that bans access to medical care for trans youth 2023-03-03|
--From a press release - NASHVILLE — On March 2, Tennessee Governor Bill Lee signed into law HB1/SB1, a bill that prohibits transgender-related healthcare in Tennessee for people under the age of 18. The bill is set to take effect on ...
|Elections 2023: Rosanna Rodriguez Sanchez vies for second term representing the 33rd Ward 2023-02-28|
- This is part of a series of interviews Windy City Times is running on LGBTQ+ candidates in the 2023 municipal elections taking place Feb. 28. Youth educator and activist Rosanna Rodriguez Sanchez is seeking her second ...
|More LGBTQ PoC report barriers to academic achievement than white LGBTQ peers 2023-02-23|
--From a Williams Institute press release - A new study from the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law, conducted in collaboration with the Point Foundation, the nation's largest LGBTQ scholarship nonprofit, finds more than twice as many LGBTQ POC as white LGBTQ ...
|HRC on SOTU: Biden's support of trans youth highlights anti-trans legislative attacks 2023-02-08|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON In tonight's State of the Union address, President Joe Biden made a point to defend transgender and non-binary youth from the wave of attacks they're facing, saying "Let's also pass the bipartisan Equality Act ...
|Billy Porter discusses his fashion choices, personal ambitions 2023-01-30|
- Billy Porter—the Tony, Emmy and Grammy winner—needs no introduction—especially to the many fans of his character Pray Tell on Ryan Murphy's hit TV series Pose. Coming up exclusively in theaters Feb. 3, Porter will star as ...
|Howard Brown strike reaches third day 2023-01-05|
- Amid layoffs of 60 unionized and four non-union staffers at multiple Howard Brown Health (Howard Brown), Broadway Youth Center and Brown Elephant locations across Chicago, over 400 HBH Workers United non-nurse members represented by the Illinois ...
|WORLD Conversion therapy, Indian school, trans boxers, anti-LGBTQ+ move 2022-12-31|
- South Florida Gay News noted that efforts to ban so-called conversion therapy gained a lot of traction around the world in 2022. For example, Canada and France introduced LGBTQ+-inclusive bills to ban conversion therapy for minors ...
|NATIONAL Office vandalized, George Santos, HRC official dies at 24, law students 2022-12-24|
- Protestors vandalized an openly gay New York City Council member's office and entered his apartment building, The Advocate reported. Erik Bottcher—whose district includes Greenwich Village, Chelse and Hell's Kitchen, among ...
|OPINION Remember the youngest victims of anti-LGBTQ+ discrimination 2022-12-19|
- On Dec. 13, the Ohio State Board of Education voted 10-7 in favor of a non-binding resolution opposing proposed changes to the federal government's Title IX protecting LGBTQ+ students. It was just one more blow for ...
|MUSIC: Sophie B. Hawkins talks LGBTQ+ youth and living an authentic life 2022-11-24|
- In the '90s, singer-songwriter Sophie B. Hawkins made quite an impression on people with the entrancing song "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover" and its accompanying video. She also had hits such as "Right Beside You" ...
|National AIDS Memorial names 2022-2023 Pedro Zamora Young Leaders Scholarship recipients 2022-11-09|
-- From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO, California, Nov. 09, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — The National AIDS Memorial has announced its 2022/2023 Pedro Zamora Young Leaders scholars, its largest and most diverse class ever, providing ...