WINDY CITY TIMES
Transgender employee takes action against Barnes & Noble
From a press release
This article shared 3536 times since Thu May 7, 2015
May 6, 2015 — Today, Transgender Law Center, Alexander Krakow + Glick LLP, and the Law Offices of G. Samuel Cleaver filed suit against Barnes & Noble, Inc. for its discriminatory treatment of a transgender employee, Victoria Ramirez, who worked for six years at two Barnes & Noble stores in Orange County, California. When Ms. Ramirez informed management that she was undergoing a gender transition from male to female, the company responded by prohibiting her from working as a woman and then firing her when she protested.
"I loved my job at Barnes & Noble," said Victoria Ramirez. "I put myself through college working there. I thought this company shared my values of hard work, integrity, and respect for all people. But when I came out as transgender, they didn't live up to those values — instead they responded by mocking me and forcing me to hide who I really am. After giving six years of my life to Barnes & Noble, I was devastated when I was fired simply for being myself. I lost my livelihood, my financial stability, and my confidence."
Barnes & Noble, which for the past seven years has touted its "perfect score" on the Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index, subjected Ms. Ramirez to harassment regarding her gender identity and expression. Her manager berated her about her long hair, makeup, and nail polish, saying her appearance was inappropriate for a "family store" and that she should "think of the children." When she came out as transgender, managers set impossible conditions for Ms. Ramirez, essentially forbidding her to transition. They told her she was not allowed to wear women's clothing, discuss her transition with her co-workers, use female pronouns to identify herself, or use the women's bathroom. Overwhelmed by the pressure to hide her female gender identity at work, Ms. Ramirez began to experience on-going panic attacks and severe anxiety. When she told her manager she couldn't hide who she was any longer, she was fired.
"The law is clear: no one should be targeted for humiliation and harassment at work and ultimately lose their job because of who they are," said Kris Hayashi, Executive Director of Transgender Law Center. "It's unacceptable for any employee to go through what Victoria experienced at Barnes & Noble, and it's particularly disturbing given the public image the company has cultivated around its support for LGBT people. Unfortunately, this case illustrates the fact that discrimination against transgender employees is still all too common, leading to sky-high rates of unemployment and poverty in our community."
Title VII, the federal law that prohibits sex discrimination in employment, has been widely interpreted in recent years by courts and federal agencies to protect transgender employees. In April, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission issued a landmark decision in Lusardi v. McHugh, a case brought by Transgender Law Center. That decision held that denying access to restrooms and refusing to use pronouns consistent with the employee's gender identity constitutes unlawful discrimination. Ms. Ramirez's suit is brought under California law, which includes an explicit prohibition of discrimination based on gender identity or gender expression.
Barnes & Noble, Inc. will have 30 days to respond after service of the complaint.
Transgender Law Center works to change law, policy, and attitudes so that all people can live safely, authentically, and free from discrimination
This article shared 3536 times since Thu May 7, 2015
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Lawsuit filed regarding trans exclusion for health benefits
- Lambda Legal and Sirianni Youtz Spoonemore Hamburger PLLC filed a federal lawsuit challenging Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois' (BCBSIL's) administration of a blanket exclusion of gender-affirming care in an ...
|New study: Military transgender ban hurts readiness 2020-11-23|
--From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO, CA — A new study has found that the current ban on military service by transgender Americans has harmed the armed forces, contradicting claims by the Trump administration that the ban was needed to ...
|Black transgender artist Heather Hills releases single, video from Trans Trenderz 2020-11-20|
--From a press release - (New York, NY) Electro-pop/rap artist, Heather Hills, has released the new single and video, "Get Dun," on the Trans Trenderz label. "Get Dun" is not for those expecting trauma porn. "I got a cute beat and ...
|Day With(out) Art: Transmissions launches online Nov. 30 2020-11-18|
--From a press release - NEW YORK, Nov. 16, 2020 — Visual AIDS, the only contemporary arts organization fully committed to raising AIDS and HIV awareness through dialogue, art exhibitions and public forums, announces their ...
|PPIL extends Gender Affirming Hormone Therapy program statewide 2020-11-18|
- During this year's Transgender Awareness Week (which culminates with the Transgender Day of Remembrance on Nov. 20), Planned Parenthood of Illinois (PPIL) is highlighting its Gender Affirming Hormone Therapy (GAHT) ...
|WORLD Trans deaths, China census, Rob Halford, Hungary measure 2020-11-16|
- Globally, at least 350 transgender people have been killed this year (2020)a figure that has risen since last year's total of 331, Forbes noted. The annual list, released for Transgender Day of Remembrance (Nov. 20) by ...
|MOVIES Trans-focused Born to Be to be released Nov. 20
- Born To Bea hit documentary on the country's first hospital center for transgender medical carewill open in Philadelphia on Friday, Nov. 20 (also the Transgender Day of Remembrance) with Gene Sickle Film Center Virtual Cinema. The ...
|Mama Gloria, about Chicago's elder, trans, activist icon, to screen 2020-11-10|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL — Luchina Fisher's Mama Gloria, an important and timely documentary about Chicago's trailblazing Black trans elder icon and activist Gloria Allen, will hold nationwide screenings during Transgender Awareness ...
|Victory Institute calls for LGBTQ cabinet appointee 2020-11-09|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Today LGBTQ Victory Institute called on President-elect Joe Biden to appoint at least one out LGBTQ person to a Senate-confirmed Cabinet position and said it will provide the transition team with a list ...
|SHOWBIZ Rock Hudson, The CW, Jillian Michaels, Isis King 2020-11-09|
- Among Kino Lorber's December DVD and Blu-ray releases is a three-movie set (with the 1953-54 features Seminole, Golden Blade and Bengal Brigade) starring the late actor Rock Hudson, a press release noted. Co-stars in the films ...
|Jill Rose Quinn first trans elected official in Illinois; wins for Cook County Circuit Court Judge 2020-11-03|
- Washington, DC — Today LGBTQ Victory Fund endorsed candidate Jill Rose Quinn won her election to be a judge on the Cook County Circuit Court, becoming the first out transgender person ever elected in the state ...
|Sarah McBride of Delaware first trans State Senator in U.S. history 2020-11-03|
- Washington, DC — Today LGBTQ Victory Fund endorsed candidate Sarah McBride won her election for the Delaware state Senate, becoming the first out transgender person ever elected to a state senate seat anywhere in the United ...
|Jennifer N. Pritzker, Erin E. Solaro wed 2020-11-02|
--From a press release - Jennifer N. Pritzker and Erin E. Solaro were married in a private ceremony in Chicago on Oct. 31, 2020. Ms. Pritzker is President & CEO of TAWANI Enterprises Inc., Lieutenant Colonel U.S. Army, Retired, and Founder ...
|NATIONAL Texas board, intersex portfolio, hate crimes, beauty queen dies
- A Texas regulatory board reinstated protections that bar social workers from refusing services to LGBTQ people and people with disabilities, NBC News reported. The Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council, or BHEC, on Tuesday unanimously reversed an ...
|THEATER REVIEW Being Earnest 2020-10-29|
- Playwright book and lyrics by Paul Gordon, music by Paul Gordon and Jay Gruska At Skylight Music Theatre online at SkylightMusicTheatre.org. Tickets: $25. Runs through Dec. 31, 2020. Two things to remember when proposing to transform a ...