WINDY CITY TIMES
Sharing Light, Sharing Faith, Divided Times,
Welcoming Churches Pride Brunch
From a press release
This article shared 486 times since Thu Jun 8, 2017
Chicago, IL 6/07/17 —- The Chicago Coalition of Welcoming Churches ( CCWC ) will sponsor "Sharing Light, Sharing Faith in Divided Times," a Pride Brunch and Reception, on Saturday, June 17 from 10am-12pm at Unitarian Church of Evanston, 1330 Ridge Avenue in Evanston.
The morning program includes reflections on the Welcoming Churches Movement and the need for vigilance and solidarity "for such a time as this." The highly interactive morning is designed for members of welcoming churches, whether currently or prospectively members of CCWC. The brunch will conclude with a Black Lives Matter vigil on the lawn adjacent to busy Ridge Avenue.
"In these divided times, we know more is required of us," says Rev. Jacki Belile of CCWC. "Progress is not to be taken for granted. Intersections of justice issues are clearer than ever. Creative collaboration is essential."
The event is hosted by the Rainbow Alliance at the Unitarian Church of Evanston. RSVPs requested by June 14 to firstname.lastname@example.org .
This article shared 486 times since Thu Jun 8, 2017
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|VIEWS Another 'Handmaid's Tale,' or sex and the supreme Catholics 2022-05-24|
- Amy Vivian Coney Barrett was confirmed as an associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court by the U.S. Senate on Oct. 26, 2020. Barrett is only the fifth woman ever to serve on the Court. She is also the sixth Catholic ...
|Report: Southern Baptist Convention leaders mishandled allegations of sexual abuse 2022-05-23|
- A bombshell report stated that leaders of the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) mishandled allegations of sexual abuse, intimidated victims and their advocates, and resisted attempts at reform over the course ...
|NATIONAL New York synod, Danica Roem, legal action, Pride news, PFLAG 2022-05-15|
- The Metropolitan New York Synod (MNYS), the regional body of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, announced Christopher Vergara as its newly elected vice president, according to a press release. Vergara is the first openly gay ...
|LGBTQ Religious Archives Network holds 'AIDS, Activism and American Christianity' webinar 2022-05-12|
- LGBTQ Religious Archives Network (LGBTQ-RAN) held an "AIDS, Activism and American Christianity: A Conversation" virtual webinar on May 5. The event focused on Christian activism during the height of the HIV/AIDS crisis in the 1980s and ...
|VIEWS Dignity/Chicago celebrates 50 years of ministry 2022-05-06|
- It was 1972 and it was dangerous to be gay or lesbian. One could be arrested, publicly humiliated or fired from one's job. Even finding safety in the emerging bar scene was hazardous. Added to that ...
|LGBTQ Catholic resource Outreach launches 2022-05-02|
- Outreacha new website designed to help LGBTQ Catholics, their families and friends, and those who minister to them in the churchhas launched. Outreach will publish news stories and essays from around the world; offer a resource ...
|United Methodist Church splitting over LGBTQ acceptance 2022-05-02|
- Theologically conservative Methodists have broken away from the United Methodist Church (UMC) over LGBTQ acceptance. According to a king5.com item, the breakaway denomination, called the Global Methodist Church, formed because ...
|Chicago Archdiocese settles with sex-abuse accusers 2022-04-27|
- A settlement has been reached between the Archdiocese of Chicago and five people who accused five separate priests of sexual abuse—including a high-profile priest who passed away in 2019, ABC ...
|WORLD Conference canceled, Catholic event, India bills, Gertrude Stein 2022-04-10|
- The United Kingdom canceled its first-ever international LGBTQ+ conference after a boycott by more than 100 organizations, the BBC reported. "Safe To Be Me" was scheduled to take place in London in June to promote LGBTQ+ ...
|LETTERS A difference in opinion about Vatican document 2022-04-07|
- I am responding to DignityUSA Executive Director Marianne Duddy-Burks, who issued a press release that Windy City Times published. A newly released document from the Vatican's Congregation for Catholic Education could trigger a new wave of ...
|VIEWPOINT On A Scale of 1 to 10: Sex, Religion, Power, Politics--A Public Meditation 2022-04-03|
- QUESTION: "On a scale of one to 10, how faithful would you say you are, in terms of religion?"—U.S Sen. Lindsey Graham (R), South Carolina RESPONSE: "… there's no religious test in the Constitution under Article ...
|THEATER REVIEW It's Just Like Coming to Church (Welcome to the Church of YOU) 2022-04-02|
- Don't be fooled by the title. The Gospel of Jackie Taylor is not constructed on Old Rugged Crosses, Poor Wayfaring Strangers or Walks Through Lonesome Valleys. To be sure, there's a collection box at the entrance, ...
|DignityUSA: New Vatican document on education could increase exclusion of LGBTQI people 2022-04-01|
-- From a press release - March 31, 2022—A newly released document from the Vatican's Congregation for Catholic Education could make it even more difficult for LGBTQI people to be part of the Catholic school system and could trigger a new wave ...
|WORLD Religious leaders, Canadian monument, Sri Lanka, Ukrainian clinics 2022-03-27|
- More than 150 senior religious leaders from around the globe have committed to protecting LGBTQ+ people in faith communities, according to PinkNews. A "revolutionary" set of safeguarding principles were set out by the 2022 conference of ...
|VIEWS Putin's war and anti-queer Christian nationalism 2022-03-15|
- 'Don't Say Gay' bill clears Florida Senate awaiting signature of Governor Ron De Santis (March 08, 2022). Texas attorney general Ken Paxton issues legal opinion classifying gender-affirming medical care for ...