WINDY CITY TIMES
PASSAGES Activist Sue Purrington dies
by Matt Simonette
This article shared 529 times since Wed Dec 21, 2016
Sue Purrington, a longtime activist in Chicago progressive politics, and an aide to Ald. Leslie Hairston, passed away after a brief illness Nov. 28. She was 78.
A native of Athens, Ohio, Purrington was involved with a great deal of Hyde Park-based activism and was also a former executive director of the Chicago chapter of the National Organization for Women. She was also active with the Congress of Racial Equality in Chicago.
During her time at NOW, she was a strong ally in the fight for LGBT rights in Chicago.
Purrington also was also active in the 1992 U.S. Senate run of Carol Moseley Braun, for whom she was ultimately a legislative aide. Hairston told the Hyde Park Herald that Purrington "was the epitome of a Hyde Park resident, she actively engaged in her community and politics. You could call her at a moments notice day or night, and she would be there. Everybody knew Sue. ... My heart is empty right now. … She will truly be missed."
Trudy Ring, who is a former Outlines reporter and is currently copy chief at the Advocate, said, "Sue was a tireless and inspiring activist with a long history in feminism and other progressive causes. I learned a lot from her when I was a volunteer and board member at Chicago NOW in the late '80s and early '90s. We need more people like her, especially in today's political climate."
Hyde Park Herald's article is at bit.ly/2hypg0X .
This article shared 529 times since Wed Dec 21, 2016
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Fashion icon Andre Leon Talley dies at 73 2022-01-19|
- Andre Leon Talleythe fashion icon and former creative director of Vogue magazinedied Jan. 18 at age 73. Details were not immediately revealed. In addition to his agent, Talley's Instagram account confirmed Talley's passing, noting that ...
|PASSAGES Allen Anthony Schuh 2022-01-17|
- Allen Schuh loved Christmas, so as a final gift he got to see his beloved lights and ornaments one last time before passing quietly away Dec. 28, 2021. Born July 9, 1940, in Chicago's South Side, ...
|PASSAGES Veronica Drake 2022-01-13|
- Veronica Drake—a onetime Chicago resident and longtime LGBTQ+-rights activist—recently passed away in October. She was 58. She last resided in Florida. According to an obituary at Marvin C. Zanders Funeral Home, Inc., Drake was born Sept. 15 ...
|PASSAGES Jeffrey Wayne ("Jef") Morgan 2022-01-11|
- Jeffrey Wayne "Jef" Morgan, of Chicago's West Rogers Park neighborhood, passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack while shoveling snow on Jan. 2. He was 58. Jef was the well-loved manager at Little Jim's on ...
|PASSAGES Black trans activist Ke'Yahonna Stone, victim of gun violence, dies 2022-01-11|
- Ke'Yahonna Stone was shot at Castle Run Shopping Center's Epic Ultra Lounge parking lot in Indianapolis, Indiana, in the early morning hours of Dec. 26. She was taken to the hospital and died Dec. 28 after ...
|LGBTQ Illinois police sergeant to be laid to rest Jan. 7 2022-01-06|
- Bradley, Illinois, Police Sergeant Marlene Rittmanic—who was killed in the line of duty on Dec. 30, 2021—will be laid to rest Friday, Jan. 7, NewsChannel20.com reported. A visitation will be held for Rittmanic at 2-7 p.m. ...
|Michigan's first out gay man dies at 91 2022-01-04|
- Jim Toythe person widely considered to be Michigan's first openly gay man and one of its most prominent LGBTQ activistspassed away at age 91, MLive.com reported. Toy died on New Year's Day, said Washtenaw County Commissioner ...
|WORLD Trans model dies, museum exhibit, Tunisia case 2022-01-02|
- April Ashleyreportedly the first Briton to undergo gender-confirmation surgeryhas died at 86, according to an Out item that cited The Liverpool Echo. Ashley, who was born in Liverpool, was the first known trans model to appear ...
|LGBTQ travel expert Jeff Guaracino dies at 48 2021-12-30|
- Philadelphia native, author and Visit Philadelphia President/CEO Jeff Guaracino died Dec. 28, following a long battle with cancer. He was 48. Guaracino worked to boost the economies of both his hometown and Atlantic City as head ...
|Former Democratic leader Harry Reid dies at 82 2021-12-29|
- Harry Reid, the former Democratic Senate leader who spearheaded epic legislative battles through three decades in Congress, has died at age 82 following a long battle with pancreatic cancer, according to media reports. Reid rose from ...
|Human-rights champion Archbishop Desmond Tutu dies at 90 2021-12-26|
- Archbishop Desmond Tutua Nobel Peace Prize laureate who was known for his stances for human rights and against South Africa's white minority ruledied Dec. 26 at age 90. According to Reuters, the presidency conveyed news of ...
|PASSAGES Information technology specialist Erik Burns dies at 45 2021-12-20|
- Tribune Media Service Delivery Vice President and former information technology (IT) project manager Erik Burns died Dec. 10 after a 13-month battle with stage four metastatic colon cancer. He was 45. ...
|Author/feminist bell hooks dies at 69 2021-12-15|
- Acclaimed author and activist bell hooks died Dec. 15 at age 69. The writer (real name: Gloria Jean Watkins) was born in 1952 in Hopkinsville, Kentucky, per NBC News. Her first published work, a book of ...
|Wisconsin LGBTQ+-rights activist Dick Wagner dies at 78 2021-12-14|
- Longtime LGBTQ+-rights activist and onetime Dane County, Wisconsin, Supervisor Dick Wagner has died at age 78, NBC15.com reported. According to a friend, Wagner was found at tiny Kerr-McGee Triangle Park, which he helped create in the ...
|Author Anne Rice dies at 80 2021-12-12|
- Writer Anne Rice, whose Interview With The Vampire sold more than 150 million copies, died at age 80 on Dec. 11, according to media reports. Her son Christopher Rice, an out gay man who is also ...