WINDY CITY TIMES
|| Life is Now
This article shared 905 times since Wed Dec 19, 2001
Less than a month ago my friend Judy wanted me to go to a concert with her in another state. As much as I wanted to join her, I couldn't. It just so happened that this other friend of mine, Margaret, would be vacationing in the area around that same time, so I gave Judy Margaret's phone number and told her to call. I have been friends with Margaret for almost 20 years; I have known Judy socially for almost as long but we just became close this past year. I love them both and would trust my life with either of them.
Being the free-spirit Margaret is, of course, she agreed to accompany Judy to the concert. However, one phone conversation between them led to another; suburban toll calls became long-distance calls; by the time they actually saw each other in person, they had fallen in love.
When I found out what was happening, I smiled from the inside out. However, when they told me that they were going to Italy for Margaret's birthday in January, I screamed.
"Italy," I said.
This article shared 905 times since Wed Dec 19, 2001
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|OP-ED The Black church was one of R. Kelly's enablers 2021-10-13|
- The long-awaited justice for R. Kelly's survivors finally came last month when a New York federal jury found him guilty of racketeering and sex trafficking. For nearly 30 years, underage Black girls and their families have ...
|VIEWS Finding the Crossroads 2021-10-08|
By Martha Miller - The first time I saw a psychic, I was 19 and my friend Sandy and I drove to Jacksonville to see an old woman who read cards. We were young and it was fun going to her old house where a ...
|TRAVEL Conde Nast readers select The Gwen as Chicago's best hotel 2021-10-05|
- Conde Nast Traveler's readers have spokenand their views of Chicago's hotels are distinctly different from those of another top travel publication. While Viceroy Chicago topped Travel + Leisure's readers' list of local spots to stay, ...
|SAVOR South Branch Tavern & Grille 2021-08-19|
- Before taking a bite of anything at South Branch Tavern & Grille (100 S. Wacker Dr.; https://www.southbranchchicago.com/), patrons are likely to be impressed. The reason lies in the picturesque views surrounding the spot. Ensconced near some ...
|VIEWS U.S. Senators: It's time to act against anti-LGBTQ discrimination 2021-07-28|
- Georgia has had the eyes of the nation on it for some time now. It's just over five years since people across Georgia braced themselves as lawmakers sent sweeping anti-LGBTQ legislation to the desk of then-Governor ...
|OP-ED Foreign drug pricing puts America's most vulnerable patients last 2021-07-03|
By Guy Anthony - It's no coincidence that American companies led the charge to develop COVID-19 vaccines. Numerous policies—from strong patent protections to a welcoming immigration system—help ensure that the world's smartest scientists can ...
|Op-Ed: Elevating 'T' in LGBTQ: State government, transgender equity in 21st century 2021-06-28|
By Illinois state Sen. Sara Feigenholtz - In recent decades, our laws, pop culture and morality have shifted dramatically for same-sex couples. Our LGBTQ+ neighbors are interwoven into the fabric of our communities now more than ever. We celebrate this recognition and indeed ...
|VIEWPOINT Pride at work 2021-06-23|
- Pride Month is a chance for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) people to be proud and visible in a world that tells us not to be. Pride Month is a chance to celebrate and ...
|LETTER: Pride, a time for hope 2021-06-12|
- Pride is so much more than a parade, a march or even a demonstration for the LGBTQAI community. In other words, this is an opportunity for us to celebrate our diversity among our various communities, and ...
|VIEWPOINT Tulsa Race Massacre reparations would begin the healing 2021-05-31|
- When HBO's 2019 Watchmen series opened with the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre, and HBO's 2020 Lovecraft Country series closed with scenes from the riots, most Americans had never heard of the eventeven Tulsans. On May 19, ...
|Illinois Holocaust Museum makes statement on anti-Semitic attacks 2021-05-28|
--From a press release - Dear Museum Community, At Illinois Holocaust Museum, we are appalled at the recent rise in worldwide anti-Semitic incidences. We cannot stand by while Jews and synagogues are violently attacked, including in Skokie, New York, Los Angeles, ...
|LETTER A matter of race 2021-05-20|
- I applaud Mayor Lori Lightfoot's courageous statement on only giving one-on-one interviews to journalists of color. She obviously wants to see a public dialogue on this matter. White privilege is a topic we must look at ...
|The Amazon Trail Notes from a Homebody 2021-05-19|
- 's finally here. The end of total lockdown. Am I ready? Absolutely not. I like my burrow. I don't wanna play with others. We've fashioned a comfortable little routine. Week days, work. Evenings, spend time alone ...
|Illinois Latino Agenda issues statement on shooting of Adam Toledo 2021-04-15|
--From a press release - On March 29, 2021, 13-year-old Adam Toledo was shot and killed by a Chicago police officer. Since the shooting, there have been different narratives formed of who Adam Toledo was. Various media have made allegations saying ...
|Pastor Donnie McClurkin's struggle with sexuality mirrors the Black church's 2021-04-13|
- The most significant factor that keeps the Black church on the down low are closeted, homophobic ministers. Pastor Donnie McClurkina three-time Gospel Grammy winner and the former poster boy for ...