Crossroads focuses on LGBTQ youth
by John Fenoglio
This article shared 3925 times since Fri May 1, 2009
Community organizers and members of the Crossroads Fund, a local nonprofit organization that supports other community organizations working on issues of social and economic justice in the Chicago area, met at a private residence in Lake View April 19 to discuss the needs of LGBTQ youth. The event included Crossroads Fund board members and panelists from the Illinois Safe Schools Alliance, Youth Pride Center and Broadway Youth Center.
With much attention as of late focused on the Pride Campus, the proposed public high school catering to Chicago's LGBTQ students, this event was meant to address more immediate business; namely violence.
"Progress for the Pride Campus is still underway, but what we're here to discuss, amongst other things, is how we can create conditions of safety for LGBTQ youth beyond one campus," said Chris Smith, a board member of the Crossroads Fund. "We need to talk about what we can do as activists to support initiatives that aid queer youth."
Forums like this one come at a pressing time, as LGBTQ-related youth violence has seen an increase across the nation, according to the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network ( GLSEN ) . As reported last week in WCT, earlier this month 11-year old Carl Joseph Walker-Hoover hung himself after being bullied with anti-gay epithets at his Springfield, Mass., school.
A compelling moment was when the panelists honed in on issues of race, class and color affecting LGBTQ young people. "Let's face it: People in low-income communities of color are some of the most disenfranchised members of the LGBTQ community. Kids in those communities are often more isolated when they feel unwanted by their families and peers," said Lisa Alatorre of the Broadway Youth Center.
Shannon Sullivan, executive director of the Illinois Safe Schools Alliance, added, "In our schools and on the streets, the word 'faggot' is being used as a weapon to humiliate and isolate anyone who is different, not just LGBTQ kids." She paused as the other panelists nodded their heads in affirmation. "You may not participate in it, but if you don't stop it when it happens you create the climate for it [ violence ] to flourish. That is a dangerous climate."
See www.illinoissafeschools.org and www.howardbrown.org for more info on LGBTQ youth resources. For information on the Crossroads Fund, visit www.crossroadsfund.org .
This article shared 3925 times since Fri May 1, 2009
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Victory Institute condemns Rand Paul attack on
Dr. Rachel Levine, trans youth 2021-02-25|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Today LGBTQ Victory Institute condemned Senator Rand Paul's transphobic attack on Dr. Rachel Levine during her confirmation hearing before the U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions. He attacked trans you ...
|WORLD Canadian groups, Moroccan refugee, LGBT+ Rights Ghana, trans heroine 2021-02-21|
- From $400,000 in funding for a national initiative aimed at expanding two-spirit advocacy, to $239,000 to improve LGBTQ youth housing access in the Prairies, 76 Canadian community groups are being sent nearly $15 million from the ...
|Court Theatre announces 2021 Southside Youth Fest, platform for teens 2021-02-18|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL - Court Theatre, under the continuing leadership of Charles Newell, Marilyn F. Vitale Artistic Director, and Executive Director Angel Ysaguirre, announces Court's 2021 Southside Youth Fest, inviting South Side teens to submit original digi ...
|WORLD School items, Olympics, Angola law, Dutch senate 2021-02-14|
- Toronto's Catholic school board reinstated the link to an LGBT support phone line on its website following outrage from the community, according to Yahoo! News, citing The Canadian Press. The school board removed LGBT YouthLine from ...
|ACLU of Illinois reacts to Auditor General's report on LGBTQ youth in DCFS care 2021-02-10|
- In response to the Auditor General's report on LGBTQ youth in DCFS care, Ghirlandi Guidetti, Staff Attorney with the ACLU of Illinois made the following statement: "Today's Auditor General's report reveals a sad but unsurprising truth: ...
|GLAAD: Senators vote against response to riot but introduce anti-trans bill 2021-02-10|
--From a press release - Five of the eight senators objecting to Electoral College votes and voting against the second Trump impeachment trial have cosponsored a new bill targeting transgender youth, adding to history of anti-LGBTQ votes and views GLAAD: "More ...
|Equality Illinois, Rainbow Cafe, legislators, PPIA reintroduce REACH Act
- Illinois state Sen. Ram Villivalam (D-8), state Rep. Kathleen Willis (D-77), Planned Parenthood Illinois Action (PPIA), Equality Illinois and Rainbow Cafe LGBTQ Youth Center held a press conference Feb. 2 ...
|Indianapolis council condemns conversion therapy; Indiana Stonewall Dems celebrate
- Indiana Stonewall Democrats celebrated the Indianapolis City-County Council and its LGBTQ councillors for passing a proclamation on Feb. 1 that formally condemns "conversion therapy" and the long-term health complications it ...
|Book helps families with kids discuss gender roles, same gender attraction 2021-01-29|
--From a press release - A new book, Pepito Has a Doll, is centered on the experience of a shy young boy who lives with his grandmother. Pepito has only one friend, his doll Lola, until Miguel appears and they begin a joyful adventure together. Bilingual ...
|Day 1 executive orders impact millions of LGBTQ youth, adults of diverse communities 2021-01-20|
--From a Williams Institute press release - Today, President Biden signed a sweeping executive order directing federal agencies to adopt a comprehensive approach to advancing equity for all, including in federal employment, policies, programs, and services. This is the first day one executive ...
|Indiana to open first home for LGBTQ+ homeless youths
- Indiana's first dedicated residential facility for LGBTQ+ young adults experiencing homelessness is slated to open this year in Indianapolis, according to WLFI.com. This home was years in the making. Trinity ...
|Indiana pols propose anti-conversion therapy bill
- Indiana Stonewall Democrats issued a press release lauding state Sen. JD Ford (District 39) and state Rep. Sue Errington (District 26) for introducing a new bill to effectively end so-called "conversion therapy" practices across the state ...
|National LGBTQ organizations call for Trump's removal from office 2021-01-08|
--From a press release - New York, NY - Thursday, Jan. 7, 2020 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, along with leading LGBTQ legal, health, youth, justice and equality organizations, is callin ...
|WORLD Lithuania outlook, HIV/AIDS and COVID, lawyer arrested, trans youth 2020-12-27|
- Lithuania appears set to legalize same-sex civil partnerships next year, but same-sex marriage could be up to a decade away, according to Tomas Raskevicius—the country's only openly LGBT+ lawmaker, Reuters reported. "We're going to submit t ...
|11th Circuit urged to reverse decision allowing LGBTQ youth conversion therapy 2020-12-21|
--From a Born Perfect press release - ATLANTA, GA — The Born Perfect campaign submitted a friend-of-the-court brief on Friday urging reversal of a recent decision by a three-judge federal panel validating the dangerous unethical practice known ...