WINDY CITY TIMES
||Pop Making Sense
by David Byrne with Tony Peregrin
This article shared 4323 times since Wed Aug 10, 2005
The Ladies of the Canyon presents a concert series which will salute Tori Amos on Aug. 16 at Martyrs. The line up will include local up-and-coming singers Shana Spiegel, Becca Kaufman, Annie Kellett, Erin Miller, Kari Nelson, and Stephanie Rogers. Meanwhile the redheaded beekeeper herself is due to appear with Imogen Heap at The Jay Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park on Wed., Aug. 31 with $10 lawn seats still available.
Shana Spiegel, who is also in the band Tributosaurus, started this project to showcase and encourage her fellow female singers. As a credit to her experience in the industry and involvement in the music community, Spiegel intends the Ladies of the Canyon performances to focus on the artist, not a stage show. Even acting as a launching pad for their careers, some of the performers bring their CDs or demos available for purchase. Wanting to keep the song's original arrangement, Shana helps the budding singers find the right fit for their vocal range and style.
With an abundance of talent on stage, Chicago's veteran musicians approach Shana regarding a chance to jam at these quarterly live dates. After the tremendous success of the recent Annie Lennox tribute, the Ladies of the Canyon secured a spot at Market Days, performing an encore Eurythmics homage.
After four acclaimed albums, British dance outfit Faithless is releasing its first retrospective, Forever Faithless. This collection debuted at No. 1 in the U.K. earlier this year, Arista just released the set stateside. With her older brother as the one of the puppeteers of the group, Dido sings on the anthems 'Salva Mae' and 'One Step Too Far.' Although the hits 'Insomnia,' 'God is a DJ' and 'We Come 1' are interchangeable, the band's overall sound cannot be pigeonholed by any means. Rapper Maxi Jazz prevails over a moving beat on most of the tracks, but Forever Faithless has folk songs and contributing vocalists, even a haunting Nina Simone sample on 'I Want More.'
Openly gay singer-songwriter David Manley makes a return with his single 'So Unreal,' which is available through his Web site davidmanley.com . As a predecessor to his sophomore album, which is still a work in progress, 'So Unreal' resonates as an honest queer love song. With remixes and a resemblance to Marc Almond's Fantastic Star album, this song proves to be the perfect summer anthem. Even Madison Avenue should take note, the remix by Super Buddha ( Scissor Sisters, Rufus Wainwright, Debbie Harry ) would be right up the alley for a trendy car commercial.
The New York music scene recently flourished with electro and '80s-inspired bands, the band Makar is a breath of fresh air with its full-length debut 99 Cent Dreams. Timeless folk-based pop gems manifest Makar's 99 Cent Dreams. The opening track 'I Hate My Job' offers everyday man fantasies about leaving the 9 to 5 drudge to become a rockstar. The standout tune 'What Can I Tell' also appears on the compilation Freshly Squeezed Music vol. 1. Husband and wife Mark Purnell and Andrea DeAngelis not only share lead vocal duties, but also co-wrote 15 of the 18 songs jointly and arranged the album's artwork. Purnell's voice is surprisingly theatrical and DeAngelis, who proved her own at various poetry recitals in the Big Apple, flavorfully adds chirps, complementing the cadence. 99 Cent Dreams is available through cdbaby.com .
Looking for a big voice that can wail and recount the blues she lived? Candye Kane's latest album White Trash Girl is no fool's gold, it shows off this top-heavy singer's style and sense of humor. Not to be confused with New York's transgendered entertainer extraordinaire Candis Cayne, Candye Kane was a teenage welfare mom who turned to posing topless to provide for her son and herself. Throughout, music remained her passion, labels claimed they were not interested in her because of her past or her full figure. Once Kane discovered the welcoming blues community, her star began to shine. According to a fan site, Kane identifies herself as bisexual. She easily can transition from singing about her man's needs ( 'I Wanna Do More' ) to chasing skirts ( 'What Happened to the Girl' ) and admiring a female dancer ( 'Mistress Carmen' ) . Not only is she renowned as a sex activist, but Kane's music has a message, promoting a positive self-body image to people of all body types. She even has been trying to appear on the Howard Stern Show to shock the DJ with her breast-piano playing trick. With a diverse fan base, including loyal gay admirers, Candye Kane tours heavily worldwide.
In between seductively chomping burgers and her hit reality show, Paris Hilton recorded an album. Per the Village Voice, the heiress laid down a version of Blondie's 'Heart of Glass.' It is bad enough that Hilary Duff and her sister did a cover of 'Our Lips are Sealed' by the Go-Go's and Boomkat remade Blondie's 'Rip Her to Shreds' for the Mean Girls soundtrack. No word if her music videos will be filmed using a night vision camera.
This article shared 4323 times since Wed Aug 10, 2005
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Jody Watley: Conversation with an icon 2021-05-09|
- Singer Jody Watley has been many things during her illustrious career, including an activist, fashion plate—but, most certainly, a musician. Among her many achievements in that latter area are a Grammy win; a Lifetime Achievement Award ...
|SHOWBIZ Tig Notaro, films, E. Lynn Harris, Nick Jonas 2021-05-09|
- Emmy- and Grammy-nominated stand-up comedian Tig Notaro (HBO's Tig Notaro: Boyish Girl Interrupted), will return to HBO this summer with the first-ever fully animated stand-up special, HBO announced. The special ...
|Citadel Theatre to return in fall with a four-show 2021-22 season 2021-05-08|
--From a press release - LAKE FOREST, IL - Citadel Theatre Company will return to live, in-person, indoor performances in September with a season of four productions — three plays plus the company's traditional holiday musical - according to Artistic Director ...
|Ravinia Festival announces 2021 summer programming 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - HIGHLAND PARK, IL — The Ravinia Festival, under the direction of its new President and CEO Jeffrey P. Haydon, announced the concert schedule for 2021 today, celebrating the reopening of the park for the first time ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE announce Chicago summer events 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), Choose Chicago, and Chicago's cultural community today announced "Open Culture" — the next phase of ...
|Northalsted plans to hold Market Days Aug. 6-8 2021-05-04|
- The Northalsted Business Alliance plans to host Market Days August 6-8, adding a Friday night edition, the first in its 38-year history. As vaccinations increase and Illinois begins planning for stage 5 reopening, organizers of the ...
|Heather Headley to headline Goodman Theatre's May 22 virtual gala 2021-05-03|
- Goodman Theatre announced that Tony-winning Broadway actor and Grammy Award-winning singer Heather Headley will headline the company's "Together Center Stage" virtual 2021 gala fundraiser. "Together Center Stage" is slated to stream Saturday, May 22, ...
|Jeannie Tanner show at City Winery on May 20 2021-05-03|
- On Thursday, May 20, at 7 p.m., City Winery Chicago, 1200 W. Randolph St., will host the first in-person performance of "3 Martini Jeannie." Throughout the pandemic, every Friday at 5 p.m., Tanner celebrated the close ...
|Vintage House show honoring Chicago House Music with DJ Lori Branch May 5 2021-05-03|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL. May 3, 2021. Paving the way for every DJ behind her, DJ Lori Branch is continuously receiving flowers for her talents and dedication to music. Currently, through May, Spotify (spotify.com/chicago) billboards highlighting Chicago music ...
|Windy City Smokeout to return July 8-11 2021-04-29|
- The outdoor country-music/BBQ festival Windy City Smokeout will return to Chicago on July 8-11 outside the United Center, 1901 W. Madison St. Hosted by BBQ joint Bub City and the venue Joe's Bar, the event will ...
|Pride in the Park' on June 26-27 2021-04-29|
- There will be at least one big LGBTQ+ event in Chicago this summer. Pride in the Park is slated to take place June 26-27 in Grant Park. It will be 2-10 p.m. on June 26, and 3-10 p.m. the following day. ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Joe Exotic' series, Luther Vandross, singer's announcement, star couples 2021-04-25|
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch's John Cameron Mitchell has been tapped to play the title character opposite Kate McKinnon in the series Joe Exotic (working title), Deadline reported. The limited series centers on Carole Baskin (McKinnon), ...
|SHOWBIZ Brandi Carlile, 'Legendary,' children's book, film festival, Janet Mock 2021-04-18|
- Lesbian musician Brandi Carlile memoir, Broken Horses, debuted at number one on The New York Times Best Sellers list, a press release announced. In addition to the hardback book, a very special audiobook edition of the ...
|Belting for Life Sunday May 16, streaming through May 31 2021-04-16|
--From a press release - CHICAGO - Jeff Award-winning director and HIV+ activist Christopher Pazdernik presents the 6th annual Belting for Life (formerly known as Chris' Birthday Belt Fest), an annual benefit concert for Howard Brown Health, one of the nation's ...
|SHOWBIZ Trans singer, 'Pose,' Kate Winslet, Lil Nas X, Broadway 2021-04-11|
- Trans femme indie-punk artist Evan Greer (she/her) released a dystopian new music video for the song "Surveillance Capitalism," a press release noted. She is using it to launch StopSpotifySurveillance.org with Fight for the Future, where she ...