WINDY CITY TIMES
||THEATER The Elaborate Entrance of Chad Deity
by Mary Shen Barnidge
This article shared 6210 times since Wed Oct 14, 2009
Playwright: Kristoffer Diaz. At: Victory Gardens Theatre at the Biograph, 2433 N. Lincoln. Phone: 773-871-3000; $30-$48. Runs through: Nov. 1
Requiem for a Heavyweight ends with its broken-down pugilist being offered a job in pro wrestlingplaying an "Indian Chief," whose role is to be defeated by a paleface opponent. In Kristoffer Diaz's play, the favored champion is Chad Deity, the picture of African-American martial perfection, replete with gleaming muscles, sweet smile, nebulous brains and no athletic prowess whatsoever. His claim to glory instead relies on the talents of Macedonio Guerraprofessional name, "Mace"whose genuine skills permit him to lose spectacularly to the popular Deity. This arrangement is acceptable to a poor Puerto Rican boy from the Bronx, but the newest contendera South Asian lad from Brooklyn re-imagined as the hybrid Middle-Eastern "Fundamentalist" whose "sleeper cell" kick vanquishes all foesis not so enamored of a career in show business.
If you haven't yet spotted a metaphoror two, or threeyou're not alone. Wrestling fans, declares the savvy impresario, are only willing to overlook the sport's essential artifice for as long as it reflects their own fantasies of good guy/bad guy justice. To prove it, Teatro Vista director Edward Torres converts the entire Victory Gardens auditorium into a gladiatorial arena, where fighters careen around the room in "elaborate entrance" rampages before spilling their violent discord down the aisles in a storm of flying sweat. And we eat it upin great guzzling gulps.
What transforms a crowd of jaded urban theatergoers into slack-jawed rubes whowhen our narrator says, "The crowd gasps"obediently suck air? There's the visceral power of David Woolley's fights, of course, even as the text reveals the adagio-dance behind the bash-and-crash ( in the ring, anyway ) . But what ensures our hearty endorsement of this hokum is the sheer charm of the cipher-rapping youths who snarl and grimace for the cameras ( operated onstage in real time by John Boesche ) , but who are revealed to be merely eager-to-please jamokes looking for a break.
Kamal Angelo Bolden postures with eager-to-please coquetry as the iconic Chad Deity, along with Christian Litke as his various challengers ( together comprising a burlesque-show display of beefcake ) , while Usman Ally projects feline charisma as the sardonic Vigneshwar Paduar. And James Krag embodies the greedhead bosses who sign the checks. But it's Desmin Borges who breaks our hearts as the humble Latino storyteller whose dreams are thwarted by a social system content to traffic in easy stereotypes for a gullible public.
This article shared 6210 times since Wed Oct 14, 2009
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|About Face Theatre's 27th season to be produced at The Den Theatre beginning March 2021-07-29|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (July 27, 2021) — About Face Theatre is excited to announce its return to live, in-person theatre with its 27th season. Dedicated to telling queer stories that advance dialogue about gender and sexuality, AFT will ...
|Winifred Haun & Dancers announces 2021-22 season, return to live performances 2021-07-27|
--From a press release - Chicago & Oak Park, IL — Winifred Haun & Dancers will return to in person theater events and live programming for the upcoming 2021|22 Season. The Company will be presented at the Pritzker Pavilion, Ruth Page ...
|THEATER Sideshow offers residency, announces digital house parties 2021-07-26|
- Sideshow Theatre Company announced it will be offering a nine-month artistic residency to Chicago-based playwright Preston Choi. Through the residency, Sideshow will provide Choi with artistic and dramaturgical support as ...
|OUTspoken storytelling to host six takes from LGBTQ+ perspective 2021-07-26|
--From a press release - The month of August is hot - but OUTspoken at the Sidetrack will be even hotter on Aug. 3 when six storytellers will tell tales of fun and fortune from a LGBTQ+ perspective! The program will start at 7:00 pm at ...
|SHOWBIZ Script contest, LGBTQ film, Lady Gaga, Showtime, out sprinter 2021-07-25|
- GLAAD and The Black List—the writer-centric entity whose work includes its annual list, screenplay marketplace, writer labs, and film and television productions—announced plans for The 2021 GLAAD List, the third ...
|DANCE Deeply Rooted named to INFLUENCERS Cohort 2021-07-24|
- Chicago's Deeply Rooted Dance Theater is one of five dance companies (and the only Midwestern one) named to the International Association of Blacks in Dance's (IABD's) INFLUENCERS Cohort for the 2021 COHI/MOVE program. The five ...
|Ravinia to unveil 'Bernstein's Answer' immersive theater experience 2021-07-23|
--From a press release - HIGHLAND PARK, ILOn Saturday, August 7, the Ravinia Festival and Jeffrey P. Haydon, its President and CEO, will officially unveil the Ravinia Music Box (RMB) and its immersive theater experience, titled Bernstein's Answer, and fully open ...
|THEATER 2nd Story announces first half of 2021-22 season 2021-07-22|
- One of Chicago's longest-running storytelling collectives, 2nd Story, announced the first half of its 23rd season of programming for 2021-22. The season will feature nearly 30 world-premiere stories and storyteller debuts, as well as 20 of ...
|THEATER Steppenwolf announces co-artistic directors 2021-07-22|
- Steppenwolf Theatre Company announced a new model of leadership, naming ensemble members Glenn Davis and Audrey Francis as the incoming artistic directors of the storied Chicago company. The new appointment ...
|PERFORMANCE Gay performer Michael Cunio part of 'Teatro ZinZanni' 2021-07-17|
- Teatro ZinZanni Chicago carved out its own niche on the 14th floor of Cambria Hotel back in 2019, with the premiere of Love, Chaos, & Dinner. Blending dinner with a show under the big top in a Belgium mirror tent called ...
|Suburban theater employees leave over perceived anti-LGBTQ policy 2021-07-17|
- At least two employees of a Christian-oriented suburban theater companySophie Murk and Will Higginshave resigned in recent weeks, citing its policy toward LGBTQ+ students, the Chicago Sun-Times reported. The exits ...
|The Actors Gymnasium to hold community circus, celebrate 25th year 2021-07-16|
--From a press release - Evanston, IL, July 15, 2021 Actors Gym is proud to announce Summer Salon 2021, an evening of circus under the stars in Tallmadge Park to celebrate the organization's 25th year. It will be a family-friendly ...
|THEATER Chicago ensemble presenting play on bisexuality 2021-07-15|
- The Trance, a Chicago-based theater ensemble, returns to the stage with Riding the Bicycle. It will be performed at The Edge Theatre, 5451 N. Broadway, on Friday-Saturday, July 30-31, at 8 p.m. According to an email ...
|Victory Gardens Theater to hold series of virtual Town Hall forums 2021-07-14|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL— Victory Gardens Theater, under the leadership of Artistic Director Ken-Matt Martin and Acting Managing Director Roxanna Conner, will hold a series of Town Halls to introduce Ken-Matt to the VG community and share news ...
|Goodman Theatre reopens with School Girls; Or, The African Mean Girls Play 2021-07-12|
--From a press release - (Chicago, IL) School is back in session! Goodman Theatre returns to the stage with the Chicago-premiere production of the Off-Broadway smash sensation, School Girls; Or, The African Mean Girls Play. Full casting is below. Written by ...