WINDY CITY TIMES
||Chicago's COVID level returns to 'medium'; boosters/shots encouraged
This article shared 1074 times since Sat Nov 26, 2022
According to the latest information on the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) website, the city's COVID-19 risk level is now at medium level.
In a news release, the Chicago Department of Public Health explained Cook County is just above the threshold to be considered at a "medium" community level, with the increase reflecting the burden felt by area hospitals, according to NBC Chicago.
Along with an uptick in COVID metrics, both Chicago and the U.S. as a whole are seeing a surge in respiratory viruses, such as influenza and RSV. And with more large gatherings expected to take place through the holidays, CDPH is advising everyone to get an updated COVID-19 booster and flu shot as soon as possible.
In Chicago, people don't even have to leave their homes to get vaccinated. Through the Protect Chicago at Home program, COVID and flu vaccines will be brought to any resident's home and administered at no cost. Up to 10 people can be vaccinated in a single appointment, according to CDPH.
This article shared 1074 times since Sat Nov 26, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Quigley commends progress in FDA LGBTQI+ blood donation draft guidance 2023-01-27|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Today, U.S. Representative Mike Quigley (IL-05), Vice-Chair of the Congressional Equality Caucus, released the following statement commending long-awaited updates to the FDA's blood donation guidance for LGBTQI+ ...
|FDA to relax rules of blood donations for gay, bisexual men 2023-01-27|
- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is reportedly slated to lift restrictions on blood donations from sexually active gay and bisexual men. However, there's at least one stipulation, The Advocate reported: A gay or bisexual ...
|TPAN announces merger with Vivent Health 2023-01-20|
- Local HIV/AIDS organization TPAN announced Jan. 19 that it would be merging with Milwaukee-based Vivent Health. The merger is expected to be finalized by March 1, according to both organizations. Vivent Health, so named in 2019, ...
|One in five older LGBT adults experienced poverty during the COVID-19 pandemic 2023-01-19|
--From a press release - A new report from the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law found that during the COVID-19 pandemic LGBT adults aged 50 and older were more likely to have household incomes below the federal poverty level ...
|Controversial conversion therapy doc has its Chicago premiere 2023-01-18|
- Chronicle Cinema presented the celebrated and controversial documentary film Conversion in its Chicago premiere on Jan. 12. The nearly sold-out premiere, which took place at the Landmark Century Centre Cinema, also featured a red-carpet experience and ...
|NATIONAL Asylum-seekers, equality updates, cannabis, HIV and COVID 2023-01-15|
- Advocacy groups that specifically work with LGBTQI+ asylum-seekers and migrants criticized the Biden administration's expansion of the use of "expedited removal" of Cubans, Nicaraguans, Haitians and Venezuelans who enter the ...
|Pritzker signs bill protecting healthcare providers 2023-01-13|
- Gov. JB Pritzker signed a bill explicitly offering protections to Illinois healthcare providers working on reproductive and/or gender-affirming care issues for their patients on Jan. 13. The bill, HB4664, also protects out-of-state clinicians who come to ...
|Illinois General Assembly passes legislation to protect reproductive and gender-affirming healthcare, leaders respond 2023-01-11|
--From a news release - From Equality Illinois Statement from Equality Illinois Deputy Director Mony Ruiz-Velasco on passage by the Illinois General Assembly of essential legislation to protect patients, providers, and families seeking and providing ...
|WORLD Murder suspect arrested, Israeli official, conversion therapy, couple's win 2023-01-08|
- Kenyan authorities arrested a suspect in the death of fashion designer/LGBTQ+-rights activist Edwin Chiloba after his body was found dumped in a metal box by the roadside near the town of Eldoret, according to CNN. Last ...
|Howard Brown, union officials dispute allegations around sidewalk incident 2023-01-06|
- As striking Howard Brown Health Workers United (HBH Workers United) members represented by the Illinois Nurses Association (INA) and their allies were picketing outside of the Andersonville Brown Elephant location at 5404 N. Clark St. on ...
|Howard Brown strike reaches third day 2023-01-05|
- Amid layoffs of 60 unionized and four non-union staffers at multiple Howard Brown Health (Howard Brown), Broadway Youth Center and Brown Elephant locations across Chicago, over 400 HBH Workers United non-nurse members represented by the Illinois ...
|WORLD Conversion therapy, Indian school, trans boxers, anti-LGBTQ+ move 2022-12-31|
- South Florida Gay News noted that efforts to ban so-called conversion therapy gained a lot of traction around the world in 2022. For example, Canada and France introduced LGBTQ+-inclusive bills to ban conversion therapy for minors ...
|2022: Gains made against a backdrop of attacks 2022-12-27|
- There was no shortage of dramatic and consequential events to consider as the top stories for the LGBTQ+ community in 2022, and most of those events threaten to spill over into 2023: the Supreme Court's interest ...
|Howard Brown Health staff prepares for January strike 2022-12-24|
- Illinois Nursing Association (INA) filed an intent-to-strike notice against the Howard Brown Health medical organization on Dec. 23, after negotiations between the two sides have further strained in recent months. ...
|Report released on online hate and gender-affirming providers 2022-12-16|
- The Human Rights Campaign Foundation (HRC Foundation) has released "Online Harassment, Offline Violence: Unchecked Harassment of Gender-Affirming Care Providers and Children's Hospitals on Social Media, and its Offline Violent Consequences." ...